Difficult to speak

xsapx

I find it hard to talk on some days. I don't know the reason. Some day i talk fine but other i find it extremely difficult to speak. Sometimes i feel like there something stuck in my throat. Sometime word come out with wrong enunciation. Do anyone experience this and how can i cure it?

I find it hard to talk on some days. I don't know the reason. Some day i talk fine but other i find it extremely difficult to speak. Sometimes i feel like there something stuck in my throat. Sometime word come out with wrong enunciation. Do anyone experience this and how can i cure it?

Know what you are gunna say before hand and just go along with the flow of the conversation. Everybody screws up once and a while, just keep working. Also, reading aloud from time to time helps with speaking and makes your flow better. Just don't worry about messing up.

philly2bits

I get the lump in my throat from time to time. It happens more often when I actually think of the conversation beforehand in my head. If I try to practice what I'm going to say then it never comes out right. I'm actually better on the spot when it comes to that.

nopark

Yes, this happens to me a lot. I thought I might have some real speech problem but then some days when I feel great I can also speak great. A few beers helps me out a lot too (well, before the raucous slurring kicks in!).

So it's more to do with "thinking too much" I've found. Have you ever thought about blinking? Or breathing? Or swallowing? As soon as you think about it, it gets awkward. Same thing with talking. If you just let it flow instinctually it'll sound more natural and you'll stumble less.

Easier said than done, of course. As soon as I open my mouth my mind is immediately split off to worry about a dozen different things: Am I making sense? Am I saying the right thing? Am I licking my lips in a creepy way?!

On the days where I know I'm not doing so well, I slow my speech down so I can think clearly about what I'm going to say before I say it. It doesn't sound so very different to anyone listening (maybe just less emotional), but it certainly helps me prevent stumbling.

Also practice does make perfect. I don't know about you, but I'm not around people very much. I work online, my colleagues are all online. I hardly ever need to resort to the telephone to converse with customers... So I make up for it by Skyping with friends every few days -- usually these sessions last for hours (good times!). Just talking aloud to people helps. I've also found reading aloud like Da Kid suggestion a helpful activity.

Last edited:

Ren Koutaisou

All the time. Not only do my words come out slurred sometimes, but I can not project my voice at all, and I speak in monotone. I can not even keep a conversation going unless talking to a talkative person.

I always have to repeat things I say and it kills me. I need a singing teacher, pronto.

WorldEndsWithMe

I stumble over words a lot and mix up things I'm trying to say. Essentially it is "speaking-dyslexia" or at least that's what it feels like to me.
Public speaking is weird for me. If it's in a room of like 300 people and I don't know anyone I can talk no problem. But in a small room with people I know, I just freeze. My voice shakes and closes up...
I don't really like talking. Most people tell me I'm too quiet and they can't hear me anyways. And I get really awkward when I have to repeat myself more than twice.

Mostly I know what I wanna say, But it just can't come out of my throat.
And I'm afraid I'll say something stupid. Or make myself embarrassed.
But It gets better, Cuz I talk more nowadays.
Since I took 5-HTP I feel much better (and also talk much more), I don't have panic attacks anymore.
But now I just feel like I don't have the need to be in panic, Especially not to make my closest people feel sad. I do it mostly for them
So maybe it's not only because of 5-HTP.
I also think the situation wouldn't change with a panic attack.
It would make it even more worse.

Vecis

I often stutter and people don't understand me. There is times when I speak with out problems but sometimes I cannot say words right. I have rather strange pattern of speech and often repeat same word in one phrase like "There was a cat over there, was".

xsapx

Yes, this happens to me a lot. I thought I might have some real speech problem but then some days when I feel great I can also speak great. A few beers helps me out a lot too (well, before the raucous slurring kicks in!).

So it's more to do with "thinking too much" I've found. Have you ever thought about blinking? Or breathing? Or swallowing? As soon as you think about it, it gets awkward. Same thing with talking. If you just let it flow instinctually it'll sound more natural and you'll stumble less.

Easier said than done, of course. As soon as I open my mouth my mind is immediately split off to worry about a dozen different things: Am I making sense? Am I saying the right thing? Am I licking my lips in a creepy way?!

On the days where I know I'm not doing so well, I slow my speech down so I can think clearly about what I'm going to say before I say it. It doesn't sound so very different to anyone listening (maybe just less emotional), but it certainly helps me prevent stumbling.

Also practice does make perfect. I don't know about you, but I'm not around people very much. I work online, my colleagues are all online. I hardly ever need to resort to the telephone to converse with customers... So I make up for it by Skyping with friends every few days -- usually these sessions last for hours (good times!). Just talking aloud to people helps. I've also found reading aloud like Da Kid suggestion a helpful activity.

Yea, beer does help but i am not a drinker. Sometimes i read out loud to help it, but i find it as a temporary help. Some day my speech is good and i think i am progressing. But then one day, bam, it hits and i cant talk again. It's discouraging.

Emily_G

Sounds like stuttering to me. :)