Daydreaming, Excessive and Obsessive

Be Free

I have suffered from OCD since I was about 18 (I'm now 48.) But I have been suffering from another problem for almost as long as I can remember. I daydream excessively. My mind will constantly create detailed, elaborate fantasies. Even when I want to stop this, it's very hard to do. My mind naturally does this. There is actually a website and a forum devoted to this problem.
Are You Daydreaming Your Life Away? - Home
maladaptivedaydreamers : Maladaptive Daydreamers forum

I'm wondering if any other people out there also experience this problem. Does it interfere with your life? I think that it has done a lot to stop me from having a real life. Daydreaming to me is like a powerful addiction, like drugs, except that people can put down drugs and walk away. I can't put my mind down and walk away. This may sound hard to believe unless you have lived it the way I have. Does anyone out there have this problem as well?

pljunkie

I have this exact problem. I'm 26 and I've been obsessed with day dreaming since I was in primary school. Sometimes it gets so bad i have trouble doing anything. I can't seem to concentrate on anything because my mind keeps wanting to day dream.

J

Just Me

Like the "Secret Life of Walter Mitty." Good old fashioned escapism... I think that's extremely common nowadays. Some people daydream, some get lost in video games, some gamble etc. etc. etc.

getbornagain

You have symptoms of Inattentive ADD. It has been known to be commorbid with OCD. I have similar symptoms.... I easily convinced my doctor I had Inattentive ADD and was prescribed dexedrine (a stimulant) to target the I-ADD, but found the dex was worse for my anxiety so stopped taking them. I have been taking Theanine for 6-7 months now and have found it has helped my focus AND anxiety problems.

Look up Inattentive ADD on google, maybe you can do something about it.

Enialis227

I have suffered from OCD since I was about 18 (I'm now 48.) But I have been suffering from another problem for almost as long as I can remember. I daydream excessively. My mind will constantly create detailed, elaborate fantasies. Even when I want to stop this, it's very hard to do. My mind naturally does this. There is actually a website and a forum devoted to this problem.
Are You Daydreaming Your Life Away? - Home
maladaptivedaydreamers : Maladaptive Daydreamers forum

I'm wondering if any other people out there also experience this problem. Does it interfere with your life? I think that it has done a lot to stop me from having a real life. Daydreaming to me is like a powerful addiction, like drugs, except that people can put down drugs and walk away. I can't put my mind down and walk away. This may sound hard to believe unless you have lived it the way I have. Does anyone out there have this problem as well?

I do not have OCD, but I do daydream excessively. For about 4 years, I would go outside on my porch swing and listen to music for hours a day and create elaborate stories that took place over multiple episodes. I have a whole host of characters that I created. In class, on the way to class, in cars, on the computer, before I fall asleep; it doesn't matter that I am doing, I'll start daydreaming randomly, and I will get up from what I am doing at times to go sit out on the porch to elaborate on a storyline that came into my head.

However, it is not a problem for me. I enjoy it. It gives me something to do when I don't want to face my reality; it helps me through the bad times, and it in general makes me feel better.
Also, I have recently taken to writing stories, so now I can turn my daydreams into something constructive; I have already turned in a story assignment for my college literature class that was based off of one of my daydream story lines.

So even though I could see it as being a major problem for someone, it has never really gotten in my way, so I haven't ever tried to stop.
Which is good, because, honestly, I know that I couldn't.

HollyRose'x

I do not have OCD, but I do daydream excessively. For about 4 years, I would go outside on my porch swing and listen to music for hours a day and create elaborate stories that took place over multiple episodes. I have a whole host of characters that I created. In class, on the way to class, in cars, on the computer, before I fall asleep; it doesn't matter that I am doing, I'll start daydreaming randomly, and I will get up from what I am doing at times to go sit out on the porch to elaborate on a storyline that came into my head.

However, it is not a problem for me. I enjoy it. It gives me something to do when I don't want to face my reality; it helps me through the bad times, and it in general makes me feel better.
Also, I have recently taken to writing stories, so now I can turn my daydreams into something constructive; I have already turned in a story assignment for my college literature class that was based off of one of my daydream story lines.

So even though I could see it as being a major problem for someone, it has never really gotten in my way, so I haven't ever tried to stop.
Which is good, because, honestly, I know that I couldn't.

I have the same 'problem'. Daydreaming any chance I get to escape reality. And I, too, use it constructively. I am only fifteen but wish to be a writer in the future so these daydreaming episode are very helpful!

-x

Bloir

I back with this post. Has someone the same problem? I am dreaming everyday for this year. I dont know to do because i would like finish with this problem, doing my homework (lost time), studying my exams...

Silentknight

I have what might be considered an extreme version of this, what happens is not only do I create these elaborate fantasies but at times those fantasies become so overwhelming I begin to mentally attack and degrade myself and I've even had a few instance where I physically injured myself just to snap out of this fantasy I'm in. Thank you OP for the website though I didn't know any such website existed.

Bloir

I have what might be considered an extreme version of this, what happens is not only do I create these elaborate fantasies but at times those fantasies become so overwhelming I begin to mentally attack and degrade myself and I've even had a few instance where I physically injured myself just to snap out of this fantasy I'm in. Thank you OP for the website though I didn't know any such website existed.

Yes, It is a problem i consider because sometimes i can not do my normal life, dreaming everytime.
i know sometimes when i am going to start even i continue, i can not stop it

whattodo1

You should meditate. You just sit and try your hardest to think about nothing. absolutely nothing.. At first its hard because of the day dreaming but if you keep practising it actually does get alot easier to meditate. Than it helps in everyday daydreaming too, you'll be able to control your mind better

Apotheosis

I don't have OCD, at least not debilitatingly, but I often lose myself in thought and imaginings whether I want to or not, and rarely without even noticing.

It's why writing is almost an obsession for me, trying to capture rapture in words before the images and stories fade.

Kiwong

It depends on what the daydreams are. Constructive or paranoid. The former is simply imagination and I can't see that as a bad thing.

recluse

I can't seem to control my mind from wandering. I find myself getting stuck in thoughts like past conversations, songs etc. It's not good because i get so stuck in my thoughts i lose focus and i sometimes have to stop doing what i'm doing.

I'm not sure I have the problem you're expressing, but there is a particular "fantasy" of mine I have, of a sort of universe or period of time and atmosphere that doesn't exist.
It's more than just nostalgia though, It's like a pure fantasy world that just doesn't exist.
I also find myself daydreaming while listening to music or just normal every day things in life where I'm actually "doing" something, that circumstances put me on stage, or just in a position of being acknowledged. Not being the center of attention per se, but more of just a feeling of pure happiness.

My daydreams usually just consist of people noticing me

Bloir

Music is one of the problems with daydreaming...I always say: I am going to enjoy the music, not dreaming while..but little times i do...

recluse

This problem has got really bad for me since after Christmas....I can't for the life of me turn off my thoughts, i can't even read anymore because i'm fighting off the thoughts at the same time so i constantly feel pressure in my head from suppressing the thoughts.

The only time i can be free of thought is when i am in karate class because the training is intense and i have no time to think, it helps that the teacher is strict and pushes us hard. When i am alone or even with people i think constantly and the thoughts get stuck in a loop.

The problem is that the thoughts are not always unpleasant i.e- I'm thinking constantly about a female friend of mine::eek:: i am obsessed with her and i am constantly trying to picture her face in my mind, i have this fear that i will forget what she looks like or something.

So yeah my problem is that i have a fear of forgetting things which are important to me so i end up thinking constantly about stuff in effect so i don't forget, the problem is i waste hours of the day thinking and i end up feeling stressed and out of control.

If it was unpleasant thoughts i would be experienceing i would feel more inclined to force them away, but i am addicted to my thoughts.