Britains Missing Top Model

strawberrybrunette

Okay, i am probably going to piss off a whole bunch of people by writing this. I assure you that this is not my intention! I just have to say something, because this has been bugging me the whole way through this programme!

Anyway, i've been watching BMTM from the beginning, and for the benefit of the people who have no idea what i'm going on about, i'll explain. Basically, BMTM is a show similiar to Americas Next Top Model (which i happen to love, incidently! Bitch fight!), taking a group of women and putting them through their paces, seeing which one would be the best model. Eventually, one wins the competition, and gets their career as a supermodel launched. But - this show is very different, because all the women are disabled. It's been a facinating show so far, and i can't wait to find out who wins in a few weeks time.

But...and here is where i'm probably going to get lynched...watching it, i couldn't help but think "I am at least as disabled as any of the girls on this show!" - well, perhaps not all of them, like Sophie, the girl whose paralysed from the hips down, or Jess, who suffers from HNPP and severe ME - but, i just got myself really incensed thinking that by just being on that show, it makes them less disabled than me. I know, i know...its not a competition "Oh my disability is worse than yours etc. etc.", but it just got me thinking "Am i disabled?" Well, what do you think? Would you consider your Social Anxiety a disability? Because the more i think about it, the more i think that "Yes, it is a disability!" I'm pretty much house-bound most of the time, it prevents me from living a normal, fulfilling life - does that not constitute a disability?

There will be people out there who totally persecute me for saying this, replying like "Oh, you shouldn't say things like this, you're lucky to have your health, your life would be way harder if you were in a wheelchair...etc. etc." But, actually, you know what, i would rather be in a wheelchair than have social anxiety. I would rather have to use a prosthetic leg, or use crutches. Because, dispite their disabilties, the girls on this show were going out clubbing and drinking and partying, and they are getting to persue their dreams - all things which i cannot do because of my disability.

Gaaaah!!! I'm dreadfully sorry if i've offended anyone, but it just makes me so frustrated sometimes!! :evil:

Lexmark

a. The condition of being disabled; incapacity.
b. The period of such a condition: never received a penny during her disability.
2. A disadvantage or deficiency, especially a physical or mental impairment that interferes with or prevents normal achievement in a particular area.
3. Something that hinders or incapacitates.
4. Law A legal incapacity or disqualification.

Its obviously not a physical disability but yeh its def a mental one
Im on disabilty welfare so the government at least sees it as one

worrywort

I think thats a really interesting question you've bought up and I think you're totally right to be thinking about it.

Is SA a disability?

According to the definition Lexmark helpfully posted I'd say yes, it looks that way.

but if I'm honest, I think I've always kinda felt that SA is my own fault. I wonder whether I use SA as an excuse for my social inadequacies and lack of courage....i.e. "it's not my fault I didn't stand up to that guy, I have SA".....or "It's not my fault I didn't take the promotion, I have SA".....I worry that it's just a way for us to avoid responsibility for our actions.......BUT......I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that isn't the case, because if it's actually true, that there are some wires gone wrong in our heads and we really do have it harder than most people, then....well, I won't feel so guilty for starters!......but we could label it a disability then too....and I think I'd find peace with that.

But how can you find out whether it's a disability or not?

if someone is really greedy and eats too much food and gets really fat, where should the blame go? Were they just big boned? Do they have a different genetic make up? Were they going through a tough time in life? Or were they simply too greedy? [this is a hypothetical question btw! ;)]

Or what about people with "addictive personalitys"? How much of the blame can you put onto your genetic make up and how much should you take on yourself?

Right now I'd probably say it's a bit of both.....

recluse

mental illness is seen as a weakness rather than a genuine illness by many people. I notice that physically disabled people have often big personalities to make up for their disabilty. It kind of makes me feel ashamed of myself when people say ''atleast you have your health'' but in a sense mental illness is probably worse than a physical illness, not that i am trivialising physical illness.

A disability is something which impairs everyday living so yeah i consider my anxiety a disability.

coriander1992

I think once you label yourself as having a disability you either turn into one of those people who goes all out to not let their disability beat them (Like those girls on that show) or you start using it as an excuse for why you can't do something and start always feeling sorry for yourself.
I think the 2nd option is more true for SA sufferers - wether it's intentional or not - due to the fear that SA instills in us.

So I suppose what I mean is, it doesn't matter wether your disability is as bad as theirs, or wether it affects you differently to them or even if you do consider yourself to be disabled, it's how you deal with it and move on from there that actually matters and preventing yourself from falling into that 2nd category of people.

I think comparing your "disability" to others' will just make you miserable and angry, because yeah, the world isn't fair and people don't perhaps understand mental disabilities as much as physical ones, but you just have to get over it I suppose..