Benzodiazepines

Davevanza

Would you take benzodiazepines (Valium, Ativan...) for social anxiety?

I read they can be addictive.

I used to use Xanax, back in 1994-2008, on as needed basis.

Firstly, my psychiatrist just prescribed 1mg, and I just took half ( 0.5mg), and during the first three years, and I only sticked to 0.5mg, not more than 3 times a week.

But as life pressure, family problem, job problem, continued to increase, my use of Xanax on " As needed basis" increased.

I found that I needed to use it almost daily.

And I ended up using it, more than what had been prescribed.

So , when I changed to my current Psychiatrist, he has his own view about it.

He changed it to Clonazepam which has a very long half life of up to 39 hours.
And he prefers me to take it regularly.

So since 2008 till now, I have been taking 2mg of Clonazepam daily.

( as long as I don't self escalate the dose, he is happy to put me on that for the rest of my life.)

( He is afraid, as some of his patients , found that, after a couple of weeks, the 2 mg dose isn't working anymore. So his patients asked to increase the dose up to 4mg. Then to 6mg.......and so on......)

Right now, i am happy with this dose.

But, again, everyone reacts differently to the same medications, and the best advice to seek is your own personal doctor who knows you better.

Kind Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

Piglet Boy

I used to use Xanax, back in 1994-2008, on as needed basis.

Firstly, my psychiatrist just prescribed 1mg, and I just took half ( 0.5mg), and during the first three years, and I only sticked to 0.5mg, not more than 3 times a week.

But as life pressure, family problem, job problem, continued to increase, my use of Xanax on " As needed basis" increased.

I found that I needed to use it almost daily.

And I ended up using it, more than what had been prescribed.

So , when I changed to my current Psychiatrist, he has his own view about it.

He changed it to Clonazepam which has a very long half life of up to 39 hours.
And he prefers me to take it regularly.

So since 2008 till now, I have been taking 2mg of Clonazepam daily.

( as long as I don't self escalate the dose, he is happy to put me on that for the rest of my life.)

( He is afraid, as some of his patients , found that, after a couple of weeks, the 2 mg dose isn't working anymore. So his patients asked to increase the dose up to 4mg. Then to 6mg.......and so on......)

Right now, i am happy with this dose.

But, again, everyone reacts differently to the same medications, and the best advice to seek is your own personal doctor who knows you better.

Kind Regards,
Dave

Do you know about the risks of being on benzos and having kids?

I'm in a similar boat, but take an extremely small dosage on a PRN basis, primarily for work. The rebound anxiety, or the day after the dosage sucks. I fight it though.

I had a very bad spell of SA, and my agoraphobia flaring up about 3 months back, and my doctor prescribed me bromazepam. It was the first time I've ever taken meds for my anxiety, I've always been hesistant about it, but being in a new city, with a new job that I couldn't afford to lose cause I was too anxious to leave the house was just not acceptable for me. So I caved in and took the meds.

The first few weeks were awesome, it's like an anxiety-be-gone pill. With the anxiety gone I found out things about myself that I didn't see cause the anxiety was always clouding my mind and filling up all my thoughts - I did truly get closer to myself, also cause I opted for therapy too.

But there is a downside - I only took bromazepam for 2 months, but after 6 weeks I could feel my body becoming dependant on it. Eventhough I did not want to lose this feeling of being angst free, I knew that it wasn't a longterm solution, the solution is to feel like this without drugs.

Also since bromazepam tends to 'numb' your feelings, I felt like I was functioning like a robot, I had feelings, but there was no authenticity in them, nothing seem to phaze me. When talking to my therapist about it, he urged me to get off the bromazepam, not only for the dependancy, but also cause psychotherapy doesn't really work that well when your feelings are being numbed out, you don't really reach the core of the problems.

Getting off the meds was terrible, but doable as I did not take them for longer than 2 months. Even then, the detoxing was physically hard. I took 6 mg over the course of a day (1.5 mg in the morning, 1.5 mg in the afternoon and 3 mg to sleep at night) during those 2 months. Together with my doctor we set up the schedule where I would half the dose each week, starting with only the 1.5 mg in the morning and afternoon, the week after only 1.5 mg in the morning, and the third week 1.5 mg every other day, 4th week only when I feel I needed it.

Obviously the first and foremost reaction to halving my dosage was insomnia - during the 3 weeks of halving the dosage I wasn't able to sleep in untill 5, or even 6 a.m. Which really is hard when you have to get up at 8.30 a.m. for work (and this was even later than usuall, as I told my boss I was going through this withdrawal period, and I had adjusted working hours because of it). I was almost going insane due to the insomnia - my brain felt like mush, couldn't concentrate, was dead tired and yet could not sleep in at nights. No matter how tired I was, no matter how much I tired myself with sports, I would lay in bed completely exhausted, praying for sleep, and after 30 mins of me shutting my eyes and dozing a bit, I would be awake...

Another thing that hit me like a sledgehammer was the muscle ache. Bromazepam also works as a muscle relaxant, so I had 2 joyous months where the anxiety was not cramping up my muscles (especially neck, shoulders, and head). But when I came into the second week of halving my dosage, I couldn't even lift my head up because the anxiety came back with a swing and was pounding on my neck and shoulder muscles with such a force, that I had to struggle to keep my head level for example. Since I was also not sleeping during that period, my body was a wreck. At some point the muscle ache was so bad that I went to a Thai massage place to book a 2 hour massage. I felt so sorry for the lady who had to work on those muscles, but it was a lifesaver. And trust me, it must be really bad when someone with SA and agoraphobia sees a massage (full body skin contact) with a stranger in a closed room as a lifesaver.

Into the fourth week, my body collapsed and I was sleeping 14 hours a day, since the 2-3 hour sleep regime for the weeks before that was just too much. One positive side about that - holy crap, I was dreaming again! Bromazepam also affects your REM sleep, which you need to sort your daily impressions. And I was having what they call rebound REM sleep, my brain was finally processing all the stuff that happened during the months that I was on bromazepam and barely dreaming.

Right now, I've been 'clean' for about 2.5 weeks now. The anxiety is back, yes, but it's not as crippling as it was before I took the meds. I did cave in a few days back when I was at work and felt a HUGE panic attack coming on, and slipped in 1.5 mg as I was trying to fight down the panic in a bathroom stall. I paid the price for that the next day - couldn't sleep in and had another 2 hour night of sleep.

All in all, I would recommend not to take them. They really are a 'cure it all' pill for anxiety, but the way they make you physically and psychologically dependant is astounding. I only took them 2 months, and the withdrawal period is still ongoing, well into a month now. They can be very helpfull in acute situations where the anxiety is completely crippling you due to some life changing event, but I wouldn't recommend long term use.

Sorry for the long read, I swear I didn't want to write that much initially :)

doesit

Im glad to read some stories here,that people are able to cope with their Sa in a non medical way,but how to live for those who wake up already with their heart pounding every morning,and panicking like your being thrown out of a plane without a parachute,and yet you are only trying to have a conversation with some girl,or person,and yet it feels most of the time like you are having a heart attack.Every one lives different lives and i live pretty normal life,except there's always a thought in the back of my mind like a crack addict,but this one is fear,and give a clap for yourself if you find a way to overcome your thoughts not to explode into full blown panic attacks,but i gonna stick to any meds i can to at least ease my life,as all that stress over the years probably already shortened my life by half.

Benzo's are highly addictive and tolerance to them can build up rapidly, which is a bad combination. You need a higher dose to get their effect, which further increases your tolerance, which increases your dependance. Getting off of them can be a nightmare.

doesit

i have been on xanax now for about 5-mths id take it 3-4 times a week at 2-3mgs just for days i work,as i have fallen into a continuous circle where anxiety would strike me at the same situation every day and its almost unbearable.Also it would be really hard now to fall asleep night before work,and for most of the time it worked 99% ,but i see how someone who uses it to numb any anxiety feelings through any situation every day, could easily get hooked and would need more and more to get through.My advise is if youre on benzos use that time to sort your troubles or change lifestyle,as otherwise once you stop them everything gonna come back with the force.

aftermidnight

Benzos are not all alike; some have lower addictive potentials than others.

Of the benzos, clonazepam (Klonopin) is what should be prescribed for SAD. It is one of the least addictive benzos, though its addictive potential is still considerable. It's abuse potential isn't nearly as high as fast-acting benzos like Xanax, and it is considerably more stable than Xanax (it doesn't have the highs and lows that Xanax has).

I would never say that benzos shouldn't be used for SAD, and I would also never say that they always should. Whether or not they should be prescribed will depend on the person. If a person was not responsive to SSRI therapy (first line medication therapy for SAD) and CBT, did not have a past history of drug abuse, and were distressed because of their SAD, then benzos are definitely worth a try. While benzos have a number of side effects, most are uncommon, and the ones that are common are likely worth tolerating if benzos help a person cope with SAD. Any good doctor should present the pros and cons to his or her patient and let the patient decide after trying a round of benzo therapy.

I should also add that stopping benzos cold turkey is definitely a BAD idea. Try to taper down the dose as slowly as possible.

Last edited:

we_r_eternal

I have always found that having them is better than taking them. I have xanax. I never take them, but I always have them on me. If I have an emergency, I will take one. But that only happens a couple of times a year. Every time I take one, I consider it a defeat. Make no mistake, they are addictive. That is not up for debate. Period. That does not mean that just because you have them and just because you take them that you will become a hopeless addict. But you will if you depend on them whenever you feel anxiety. They are not a magic pill that you take whenever you feel bad and then you feel good. Having them is great, and even taking them once in a while when things get REALLY BAD is all right. But if you take them on a daily basis, you WILL GET ADDICTED!!!!!!! They are not an answer. They only mask your anxiety for a little while, they do not cure it. If try to take them like a medication your anxiety will get worse, and worse than that you will develop a tolerance and soon they will not even work to mask your anxiety. The nightmare that can happen to people who go down this road, is unbearable. If you get a prescription for xanax or klonipin or valium, tread carefully. They are a nice ace in the whole, but they are not the answer.::(:::(:::(:
all of this is very true.. ive had problems with benzo addiction for years..