BDD: How would you feel about a real disability?

that is a good question. I would rather spent 8 weeks in a hospital having a broken leg and know the fact I'm going to heal, but I don't care If I can't do anything, just wait till I get better instead of living my entire life being anxious.

but i'd rather not .. to answer your question, i'd better stay this way, if i need to choose wether having SA/BDD or losing an arm.

Last edited:

Mickery

It doesn't have to be an either/or question. What if you also acquired something genuinely problematic about your appearance to deal with? Do you think it would put your current thoughts into perspective? Does imagining it have the same effect?

dyingtolive

i would rather have an amputated limb but have a nice body instead of having all 4 limbs but feeling unbearably disgusted with my body 24/7

MsBuzzkillington

I read about this several years ago, a particular case struck where a young man had his legs amputated! He was never required to seek counseling, I really found that disgusting. Like cosmetic surgery without any attention to the psychological state of the patient... check out Amanda Lapore.

I would argue that we dye our hair, whiten our teeth, tan, lose weight, gain weight, get tattoos, get hair cuts, style our hair, wear contacts, paint our nails, shave, and then even cosmetic surgery like you mentioned. We get breast implants, liposuction, nose jobs, botox and on and on all without getting counseling before hand.

Why is it disgusting if this guy didn't have to get counseling before having his leg removed? I mean, isn't it all really the same thing?

I should edit to add that I have a lot of problems with the way I look. I don't mean mentally, but actually physically wrong. Certain aspects of me are awful, and it's not something I am imagining. (mostly from doctors and what not) I would give anything, anything.... to know that the things I see in the mirror were only in my head instead of being reality. People don't realize how lucky they are that it's just BDD (even though I understand it must be difficult to think you are ugly even though you aren't) and not reality.

Last edited: