Avoidance is Addiction with SA/Other

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Avoidance is Addiction

This is for both AvPD/SA and GAD and other issues where avoidance becomes your main source of coping.. I'll use SA though to mean for both. And it's long, and a big thought/feelings sort of thing so it's a lot of "thoughts" I had to get it out, apologies but brevity is not something I know =)

There's been similar threads like this, yeah. So read or don't I don't care. =)

I believe SA has an addictive affect on your mind. Not really shocking.

But you become addicted to avoidance as a way to cope with it - it's a behavior and avoidance has MANY and MULTIPLE forms at the same time - it's not one thing and isn't exclusive to SA or AvPD obviously - but that's my source for it. And maybe should be treated more that way.

So sheltering yourself, shutting down, substance abuse, other addictions, literal avoidance of situations, and in whatever form avoidance becomes but it does become addictive. Avoidance is general - but it's how I "cope" with my fears and anxieties and stress. Aside from the negative self-talk
with it, which I've slowly been curbing.

It can lead to alcoholism as a way to cope too, or other things, but that's really just another form of avoidance.

Even knowing that doing so perpetuates your issues and SA - and makes it worse ultimately. It's unhealthy. It's the real source of continuing misery. It can destroy and stop you from living your life. You can KNOW this - but still do it. It's illogical. But it's what you know. JUST LIKE alcohol abuse can be - but that's your coping and you still do it. It's that same weird behavior that's hard to nail WHY but it's because it is like an addictive behavior and the source of many's addictive behaviors. (genetics and stuff aside).

So like other addictions like alcoholism which my family is familiar with, there is no imo, "cure". By cure I mean like a flu, or virus, it doesn't just go away and you become immunized from it.

You live with it. Deal with it. It's always there. Whether due to genetics or whatever. But that DOESN'T HAVE TO DEFINE YOU. You accept that and don't let it control you and don't give don't into it. Hopefully. But you do LIVE with it. You can be cured for all intensive purposes, in that you get the help and live and never look back and never have a drink again and are content and happy - BUT that temptation can always be there.

But that's life. Life is about dealing. I've wished and hoped for a cure for SA and my thinking/habits. Meds can help; if chemically imbalanced, diet, meds, exercise, consistent relaxation, can balance your mind and chemicals and stuff. But one thing that is ingrained is that addictive habit developed like avoidance.

It's just as stubborn and hard to REALLY CHANGE avoidance like any drug/alcohol/smoking addiction. Because it's a physical habit as much as mental and so intertwined with things. So the "cure" is similar - physical and mental change/help. For ME I will need outside help. I lack the ultimate self discipline alone. Nor should anyways have to do so alone. But you have to DO IT.

It's something I've accepted is part of my, the SA I hate so much, my other issues. Avoidance is a result of that it's the actual drink of SA, ie: the alcohol itself. I know it's something I'll be dealing with my whole life - it'll always be there BUT that doesn't mean it'll always be there in misery.

Ppl deal with many things in their lives - alcoholism/addiction is one thing, others have diabetes, other's much worse things they can't "cure" and be immune and rid of forever like a disease. But they live with it - deal with it - and move on and live their lives and it doesn't stop them. Neither does SA have to or whatever issues.

I KNOW it's possible and I WILL learn to deal/live and be content and not let it rule me but it's a tough road. I've fallen off before, badly, this last 3 or so years. But you have to accept and TAKE responsibility and then the change can happen.

I just avoided something today why I write this and it feels like all progress is lost when you give in like that - BUT THATS NOT THE RIGHT FEELING TO HAVE BECAUSE doing so is part of the process - one cannot get down on themselves so much it's not easy.

Change isn't linear, it takes MANY TRIES and falling down before getting back up and progressing forward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And like ppl struggling with smoking, drugs, alcohol - few quit the first time. VERY FEW DO. Or 2nd. Or 3rd. Never give up!!!

because I know ppl who HAVE quit after so many gosh darn tries. Mental disorders are the same and that shouldn't discourage or make it seem impossible because it's NOT! It's much the same.

My passive and active avoidance won't go away today or tomorrow or next week or etc I accept that it's an insidious habit BUT I can control and deal with it and live my life be free of it - BUT it can always be there as a habit to get back into.

So I don't even know my point anymore I guess just a Slightly different way for ME viewing things. Anyways now I'm just ranting. =) But I think we view and society treats mental disorders so differently than LIKE an addiction like smoking, alcohol, when it's much more similar. More sympathy imo for ppl with "real" addictions like that. But shouldn't be. We just can't be so hard on selves when it's so hard to "live with" and "fix" these things.

Last edited:

coyote

i've been thinking alot about this, too

and i agree that avoidance can be an addictive behavior

so i wonder if some of the same approaches used to beat addiction can be used to overcome the problems of AvPD

the 12-Step programs like Alcoholics Anonymous come to mind

i'm very close to people who have turned their lives around through AA, and they've told me alot about it (as a side note, i believe a LOT of alcoholics actually suffer from SA and use alcohol to self medicate)

i wonder if the same 12-step principles can't be used on the avoidance addiction

perhaps we can start an "Avoidance Anonymous" group

Kiwong

You are right avoidence is addictive, or like a snowball that builds out of control.

There are things I don't mind avoiding, and then there are things that mean something to me that I refuse to avoid, no matter what anyone says about me.

Newsagents, chemists, checkouts, restuarants these were places I used to avoid when people noticed my anxiety. My life was dimishing.

Last year I was forced with losing something I loved, and I wasn't willing to avoid that. So I told everyone involved in this community what I suffered from. This wasn't easy, and came at great cost to my health.

Somehow I have changed a little, my anxiety is dialled back to a slightly lower level, and I have been able to stop avoiding some situations. So it is possible to change.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

interesting read lemur, i agree with. i don't know for sure if i have avoidance, but it seams like it. have quite few massive addictions (not those you mentioned, and thankfully drugs and smokes didn't catch)

and this is so true. i can struggle one period, live to make things better... and then some time after i slowly sink into those habits again. and it is so comfortable to in that niche.....

Yup. For a good while I was out of the habit and it's easy to sink back in quickly. But I didn't have the proper... real ways of coping so when life threw me a a country of lemons I didn't have the ways to deal with it.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

It's easy how you're mind can slip back into this... but viewing it like an addiction and it's just the way your neural pathways were chiseled in - feels so natural and normal for me to just do the avoidance response esp when nothings happened for a bit - just like smoking, mind does become addicted to this process it's what it's most familiar with. You equate certain actions and occurrences with it. Just that first strong urge and response hard to just break, despite knowing full well it's affect and you gotta ditch that habit and DO, not avoid.

But like smoking or other addictions, it's rarely something stopped the first or second time. No shame in that - all have ups and downs and can fall back on the wagon. Or off it, whatever ::p: (not sure how you can fall onto something... =D

I think knowing I am free now, graduated, just subconsciously brought me back more so because there's no sense of urgency, at least right now. But that will change, slowly.

My AvPD has always been like old slippers that are worn-out & not that comfortable any more, but which i keep wearing (in preference to new ones). So i was aware that it is a comfort-zone thing. And similar to laziness/procrastination in some ways (as i COULD do something about it, but prefer not to, so i don't). Also it is a habitual-lifestyle thing. And for me it also involves fears - of change, of people, of the unknown.

Addiction involves doing something to excess, with damaging side-effects, and being unable to stop it even if you choose to. So i would agree that Avoidance could be a kind of addiction to SA.
Personally though, i'm not sure if mine has the addictive part, as it doesn't quite satisfy the "unable to stop it even if you choose to" part. Mine seems to be still at the "habit" stage; that is, i choose to remain Avoidant, and not even attempt to overcome it, despite knowing somewhat of it's damaging consequences. But then, not being Avoidant is kinda not really an option imho .. so maybe i am more at the addictive than habit stage after all? (see What Is Addiction? What Causes Addiction?)

Dependency-wise, i am dependent on Avoidance to fulfill my need for much alone time, and time to "recover" after people (which is very draining). Nothing else seems able to fulfill those needs. Hence the term "addiction" again applying.

But i don't really use Avoidance as a way to cure any emotional stress, or to gain pleasure from (i use other things like comfort foods for this). So strictly speaking SA might not be an Addiction in the formal/clinical sense, but generally it is. (see Addiction | Psychology Today)

berlingot

this was a very interesting read. i guess the first step to recovery is recognizing/acknowledging i have an addiction to avoidance? i'm not that familiar with 12 steps/recovery. imagine, avoidance interventions & rehab! wow.

mikebird

Banned
This is very wise. But could be seen as natural needs

I started very early in life to stay away from parents and other family.

Made very good friends with neighbours of the same age, in the countryside. They decided to never go to school.

I developed quite thin relationships at school, but did remember everyone's names, and all about them. Office should be similar to school, but its impact on me, the first moment through the door was very different. Due to having my student circle very different from normal people. I loved it.

From day one, every new face, I seriously can't remember their names, and it's too humblingly embarrassing to ask names again.

Yep. I think the self-motivated major change is a world away. I am pleased that a long list of very pleasant enjoyable herbs & chemicals got into my life by utter random luck. Each (including alcohol) developed my social skills incredibly well, depending on friends to make anything worth time. Being alone brings NO reason to do anything by myself. I have met alcoholics. My only dependance is eating food, and health, as I write this with tooth pain.

I've been told by my senior brother, many psychologists, my current one who is absolutely passive and placid, that I need to change in a big way to get into a career. From early roots, it's impossible to follow advice. This is why my brother has kept me apart from the rest of the family, for a sensible reason. I'm here to be mocked, as I am blacklisted by recruiters. It hurts to be assessed as the person to avoid, including my most recently born nieces and nephew

Last edited: