asking doc for medication?

loloy

im going to doctor tomorrow and im wondering how to ask for medication for anxiety... this might seem like a dumb question but i kinda hate bringing up the subject with the doctor. How did ye go about it?

lyricalliaisons

If it's a regular doctor & not a psychiatrist, the doctor might not be able to give you a prescription for a mental condition. But it could be different there in Ireland, I don't know.

All you have to do is tell the doctor about your anxiety issues, or even write it down if you have to, & then, they should prescribe you something. Though they may suggest you see a therapist first.

mummylala

Just go to your doc and explain all the problems you have been having, he/she will talk about it and discuss certain medication with you..

This is what happened with me, i was like you and hated bringing up the subject but i knew i had to do it.. Before i went to see the doc i wrote down what i wanted to tell her, i took it with me just incase the words didnt want to come out, you should maybe do something similar :)

loloy

Just go to your doc and explain all the problems you have been having, he/she will talk about it and discuss certain medication with you..

This is what happened with me, i was like you and hated bringing up the subject but i knew i had to do it.. Before i went to see the doc i wrote down what i wanted to tell her, i took it with me just incase the words didnt want to come out, you should maybe do something similar :)

i was on seroxat before and i had inderel before also but the prescriptions ran out and i never renewed them - they were ages ago. so il be asking for more medication and im just paranoid about it but i guess thats the sa talking. I would like to take something like inderel more regularly as i find them good but i know my doc will be reluctant to give them to me.

Fighter86

Would you be seeing a regular GP or psychiatrist? If you are not sure what meds you need, I think it might be better to ask a psychiatrist for meds as I imagine a regular doc might not be well versed enough to know exactly what you need. However, after you are sure what it is that you need, you can go direct to a GP and they can write you a prescription for purchase at a pharmacy. As to your question about how to ask, if you are visiting a psychiatrist, I think you just describe your situation and symptoms, they would automatically prescribe you with something, at least that's what happened with me.

Fighter86

Well, if your anxiety is really bad to the point you can't function, surely you would need something to aid you in the mean time while you receive counseling or a therapist's help? With regards to the point he/she said about it masking the problem and only covering the symptoms, it is true, but if things are really bad on your side, I don't see why she won't recommend a prescription and therapy at the same time. Anyway, good luck!

NinjaLikesToast

I would also advise against medication in most cases. I agree that it only covers up the problem, and it can become very addictive.. which leads to many other problems. Once you become dependent on one thing to function daily, you will have many more problems to deal with. That's just my opinion..

Fighter86

Ok, so I went to a GP for prescription of Xanax today, and I had no idea how hard it was so hard to get it till now. I desperately need it due to a situation at work. I have since resigned but am serving my notice period, so I need something to put me though this period. In anyway, I could only get a small dose and hope it actually works*fingers crossed*.

loloy

UPDATE: got a new job and anxiety went through the roof. So I went to my doctor, explained how I was feeling and so she's put my on 5mg of Lexapro daily. Low dose but hopefully it will help me with my anxiety.

loloy

have taken the 5mg pill twice and im yawning alot - nausea in my stomack. That will go away right???

Elad

Banned
Just say you'd like to try and augment your current treatment with some kind of medication to see if it changes anything.