Anyone else develope a noise sensitivity?

bigrob

It seems the worse my anxiety gets that I develop more and more of a sensitivity to bass. My research has shown usually highly anxious types are more sensitive to high pitches, but for me it's the opposite.

In fact if the bass is loud enough for long enough it can trigger a panic attack in me. It doesn't have to be music, it can be a bass in a automobiles exhaust note, or just about any low hum.

Anyone else with similar issues?

garry29

I really can't stand motorbikes sneaking up behind me when I'm outside walking. It's definitely the most unpleasant sound for me and instantly makes me feel like punching a wall out. I also can't stand people talking loudly near me if I'm somewhere relatively quiet.

market.garden

I really can't stand motorbikes sneaking up behind me when I'm outside walking. It's definitely the most unpleasant sound for me and instantly makes me feel like punching a wall out. I also can't stand people talking loudly near me if I'm somewhere relatively quiet.

I kinda know what you mean. I get annoyed at cars or lorries if I'm walking on the pavement and they shoot past me. Something about the loud roaring noise aggravates me for some reason.

Luthien

I used to have that problem when my anxiety was really bad, thankfully it's better now. It was mostly if I heard any noise that was out of the ordinary, like some random thump or crash or something. It could even be a small noise, if it sounded like someone was walking up to my room or my house, or if something had broken or fallen over, it would scare me into a panic.

Maybe bass sounds mean something specific to you and your anxiety? For me it wasn't the tone so much as what the sound implied. I had a super heightened hearing that would warn me of danger (aka people and things out of my control). What do bass sounds mean to you?

bigrob

I used to have that problem when my anxiety was really bad, thankfully it's better now. It was mostly if I heard any noise that was out of the ordinary, like some random thump or crash or something. It could even be a small noise, if it sounded like someone was walking up to my room or my house, or if something had broken or fallen over, it would scare me into a panic.

Maybe bass sounds mean something specific to you and your anxiety? For me it wasn't the tone so much as what the sound implied. I had a super heightened hearing that would warn me of danger (aka people and things out of my control). What do bass sounds mean to you?

I get the hyper-sensitive hearing as well...especially at night.

But as far as bass being a trigger for a bad experience resurfacing, I can't think of anything. Not only was I a bouncer in a club once, but I was a bass player in a death metal band....either one involved loud music.

I feel it's the tone that really bugs me. I'm waiting to meet someone with a Barry White voice to see if I cringe.

Luthien

Hahaha, that'd be interesting...

I didn't mean that bass would be a trigger to bring you back to a bad experience per se, but maybe it's a trigger to anxiety that you don't realize. Maybe you felt like you were never good enough at the music you played? Maybe being a bouncer made you on edge? (it would do that to me) Or maybe I'm just completely wrong, which is a definite possibility :p

I bet you're just super sensitive to tone, my boyfriend is an amazing musician (who also plays metal) and he's got pretty near perfect pitch and certain things drive him crazy that I don't even notice! Like the sound of the computer fan makes him want to pull out his hair... I have no clue what you'd do about that, though. The only thing that helped me was my homeopathic remedy. I can't even believe the shape I was in before I took it, it's like a lifetime ago...

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I don't like loud noise like balloons poping, firecrackers, sometimes thunders if they are too loud, or anything that might startle me. I have an horrible feeling when I get startled, I end up paranoid and hypervigilant afterwards... I also hate it when people talk and laugh non stop, especially if I'm trying to concentrate on my work or something else. It annoys me at the point of wanting to yell at them.

Emily_G

Sometimes when someone drives by with really low, loud base I get a headache...it sucks. That's not the same thing as the OP, lol...

I don't have anxiety that is triggered by noise, besides crowd noises, but I have a hate for loud noises, specifically bass. People tend to listen to music loud on campus, but all you can here is this incessant bass, so annoying.

NinjaLikesToast

I like loud music to a certain extent, but I hate when all you can hear is bass. I don't ever listen to music that loud in my car, because it's just obnoxious in my opinion. It doesn't make me angry, but it is very annoying and sometimes stresses me out for no good reason.

Usually the only sort of loud noise that gives me anxiety is being in a large room full of people talking at the same time. That freaks me the hell out! And I instantly start looking for a bathroom to escape..

I love the sound of thunder, though :)

EscapeArtist

I'm extremely sensitive to all noise, especially loud talking, loud music, having the tv on more than necessary to be audible, loud laughing, loud cars, loud wind.... I always tell people to shush, just by instinct, even though it's not THEIR problem I perceive them as loud talkers.

Edit: I forgot loud eating. One of the worsts. My levels of irritability, caused by noise, go up when i'm stressed as well.

issi_007

When I get enough sleep, which isn't often, if I hear any unexpected high-pitched noise I scream in shock. Then again, you could poke me on the side of my waist and you'd get the same reaction.

My ears hurt when exposed to really high-pitched sounds that many other people around me actually don't hear. Perhaps I just have really awesome hearing 8D
haha but other than that, not really.

EDIT: I just read the post above me. Loud eating is the worst kind of noises. It makes me angry for some reason.

Last edited:
Yes. Definitely. The sound of firearms going off and people screaming abuse at others. No one else seems bothered by it though... and that bothers me a little bit as well.

rigby1987

I am sensitive to noise but only really from neighbors above (i am in a flat within a block) .But its not like this all the time , Just every now and then their too loud.

loud banging , doors slamming , loud/excessive shouting, TV or movie on far too ****in loud ,

plus having social anxiety , i avoid going to tell em to quieten the **** up which in-turn makes my anxiety worsen .

Ahh Lovely circle of life .

applegirl

I grew up in a very noisy household (my dad is very loud). It didn't start bothering me until I got the age where I realized I was a light sleeper and small noises wake me up. Like if it's a cool night I tend not leave my windows open even a crack because any passing cars in the night are likely to wake me up from my sleep early in the morning. the f**king shoe and coat closet in the living room ... dear god i can't even tell you how many times that sh*t has woken me up early in the morning just from someone opening the damn thing to get their shoes out. I hate everything in my house. Someday (i'm only 20) I wanna move away into my own place without all the noise. Sometimes I just think every door in the house needs to be soundproofed and creak free when it is opened or closed. the house is pretty old anyways. The far most annoying sh*t in the house is the floorboards. I can hear people walking on the above floor if i'm on the basement. i want the house to be carpeted but my parents disagree. I cannot stand that most of the dishware in the house is glass. even our dinner table has an oval shaped glass piece fitted on top so if someone does not put down a glass dish carefully it's very loud. i'm so sick of all of it.

stephen

I find noise really gets to me when I feel anxiety building up. When I am anxious I tend to want to eliminate any source of stress and noise like a blaring television can really get to me. Although I do find music to be relaxing generally especially if I can use it to drown out other sources of noise. If I am working I can shut the door and put on some Brian Eno to calm myself down.

I was on Paroxetine from last year and when I came off it I found noise particularly disturbing while I was in withdrawals.

Wishmaster

I have really good hearing. It may be because my vision is so terrible lol.. I also have tinitus, which is a constant ringing in your ears.