Anticipatory anxiety

ripewithdecay

Who else get's really bad anticipatory anxiety when you know a social event is coming up? Whether it be a few days away or maybe a few hours away, do you start feeling sick?

Like right now i know that in 20 minutes im going to get a call from a somewhat distant relative who is in town for the day and wants to spend time with me. I can feel my hands shaking slightly and i feel sick to my stomach. This happens every time.

What do you do to control your anxiousness?
Do you do something to get your mind off of it until it happens or do you sit by the phone and wait for the call and twiddle your thumbs trying to think about what youre gonna say and try to prepare yourself mentally for the onslaught of pain coming your way?

Are you able to just take it as it comes or do you have to plan it out in your head how you're gonna act and what you're gonna say and when you're gonna plan your 'escape' to come home?

I hate this shit. I've been up for a few hours and it's just been World War 3 in my head brooding over the day to come because i know ill have to go out in public and do random stuff. Ugh. Im just eager to get somewhere like a restaurant where i can order a beer and settle my nerves a bit. What a shitty thing to rely on and look forward to.

Staku

I take a benzo, act completely calm (yet somewhat oblivious) the entire time, then barely remember what happened.

I don't want to rely on drugs (and I rarely do), but the anxiety you are talking about is absolutely horrible. Feels almost like a constant mild panic attack.

dan_e

This happens to me also. The closer the time gets, the sicker I become. Until you get the call try to keep busy. Focus on a physical activity and stop thinking.
I try not to think about what I'm going to say beforehand, because its just more to worry about.
Alcohol usually helps to calm me down a little......although there have been times that its still not enough.
Have a good time! :)

dyingtolive

i get anticipatory with almost any work tha t need be done that i need to think while doing. if its not planned out 100 percent, its so hard.

with social activity, yes understood. but even stuff i do alone.. like chores, or even work on the computer