Answering the telephone

Errordotocx

I am somewhat tense answering phone calls or calling back an employer...etc. But to be honest I would rather do face to face talking...I find that much easier and engaging.

I don't answer my phone unless I know who's calling (thank god for caller ID).
I still have a hard time making phone calls sometimes, but I used to be a lot worse- like I would not call anybody except my mom- and if I absolutely had to talk to someone else, I would try to think about exactly what I would be saying, rehearsing how the conversation would go. And I know it's crazy, but if I don't answer my phone (when I don't know who's calling or just don't want to talk to that person) I feel kinda weird- almost paranoid- as if they know I'm home/available and am just ignoring them- I hate that feeling. Even now, I usually jump when the phone rings.

littl3misstrange

i never answer the phone unless i'm expecting a call...& the only person who ever calls me is my dad.
for some reason, i find it so much easier to talk to someone in person than on the phone. there's just something about talking on the phone that intimidates me.

Sloth

When I lived with my parents I would never answer it, I'd just let it go to answer phone.
I have a much bigger problem with ringing people, I will rehearse what I have to say, write notes, check the number 10 times then dial, panic, hang up... dial, panic, hang up... breathe, it goes on like that forever. I prefer to go in person or email, although that scares me too.
My old boss used to get annoyed with me because I would hate answering and ringing clients and panic when on the phone with them.
I know the person on the other end doesn't know me/can't see me but it still terrifies me what they think of me.
I won't talk on the phone with people around me because I'm scared I'll make an arse of myself.
I always answer my cell phone because it's always someone I know or someone important enough that they have my number. I very rarely get a call anyway.

I don't really have trouble answering the phone when I know who it is but I can't stand calling people and asking to speak to one specific person or talking to operators and people I don't know. I get really nervous about talking to them and making a fool of myself.

MotherWolff

Banned
I usually don't pick up the phone when it rings unless my mom forces me too. But sometimes I dash into the bathroom so she has to pick it up herself but she gets so angry when I do that. I don't know why I feel so tensed on the phone. Maybe its because of SA, I dunno. I feel like that if I don't know what to say to someone right away that I WILL sound idiotic to them and to me of course unless I rehearse what I would say in my mind. I only pick up the phone for my mom, my dad, and sometimes for my two sisters. Other than that I refuse to pick that phone up(yeah I have caller ID), let alone make outgoing calls.

misterF

I usually don't pick up the phone when it rings unless my mom forces me too. But sometimes I dash into the bathroom so she has to pick it up herself but she gets so angry when I do that. I don't know why I feel so tensed on the phone. Maybe its because of SA, I dunno. I feel like that if I don't know what to say to someone right away that I WILL sound idiotic to them and to me of course unless I rehearse what I would say in my mind. I only pick up the phone for my mom, my dad, and sometimes for my two sisters. Other than that I refuse to pick that phone up(yeah I have caller ID), let alone make outgoing calls.

Yeah I do that bathroom bit too. I normally don't answer my mobile if it's from an unknown number but always feel bad afterward because I didn't have the courage to answer a bloody phone call.

antipop621

I get really nervous whenever the phone rings, even though 99% of the time its one of my parents. I always worry its a friend who's gonna tell me something great happened to them which would just make me depressed.

I'm also nearly incapable of calling other people, I can't even call my own sister.

Felgen

I also hate talking on the phone, even when people I enjoy talking to in real life are calling. Sometimes I'll even deliberately choose not to answer the phone.

Generical

If it's just me in the house i won't pick up kinda funny as my family know this so they have to ring three times or so, until im thinking shit what if one of them crashed or something.

Hocuspocus

I never answer the phone. Don't have a landline but have a mobile which is constantly diverted to voicemail. I use it to text but am so phone phobic i even have problems listening to any voicemail messages.

Queen_Of_Pain

Whenever the phone rings I either force myself to answer which is never a good thing as my voice comes out weak or "as though I haven't slept" as someone once told me, or I ignore it. If there is someone else around and I can tell that my behavior seems odd to them I just go into the bathroom for a few minutes until the other person answers it or until it stops ringing and later on say "sorry I didn't hear it", if only.

It's the same thing with the doorbell. My head seems to go through the "you could answer it, you could answer it...but it's probably not worth it..." thing, like I have a little demon on my shoulder.
Sometimes it brings me to tears..mostly frustration on my part. I do it when I have the knowledge that I'm going to meet someone face to face, I usually back down.
Gah.

Pineapple

I'm ok with answering the phone. I think it's because it doesn't involve eye contact, so it's fine. I do get a bit nervous making calls though and I tend to put off making calls if they're not important, but I'm fine once I've actually dailed the number and can hear the other person's voice. :D

zlench

I have to answer the phone in work and I dread it when somebody calls for an order or something and sometimes I have to go and get and different department which I hate.