Am I a crappy friend?

I have a close friend who's sort of similar to me, and I'm afraid he's becoming more sociable and outgoing. Am I selfish for wanting him to stay introverted like me, because I sort of feel an obligation to be happy for him. It's also that even though he sorta looks up to me, he's getting better at the stuff I'm also talented at. I feel like he's going to be great and successful in life while I fall behind and do pretty much nothing. Anyone have words of advice, or are in similar situations?

desoconnor

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... if he is doing the things that you like maybe its because he likes you and wants to be like you?

And no its not selfish, change is different. I have felt similar things but my friends who have done well are still around :)

enigma

I can understand why you would feel that way. I think most of us want to be friends with people that are similar to ourselves.

Maybe it could be a positive thing having a friend who is outgoing. It might even help you to be the same way.

Only you will know when you feel ready to make a change in your life. I have found that all the advice in the world is pointless, unless you are willing to act upon it. My main problem is i dont act ::(:

hippiechild

You probably aren't a crappy friend, but that type of thinking is definitely selfish. It's understandable to worry about gradually moving apart and losing a friend. You still have to recognize that holding them back from their potential in order to maintain a friendship is probably going to ruin it anyway.

Think about it from their perspective. Imagine that you're getting better, feeling more confident and going places in the world. How would you feel if your good friend tried to, or wished to, prevent you from feeling good about yourself?

Anyway, it most likely wouldn't even be a bad thing. It probably won't end your friendship, especially if you're good friends already. Having a confident friend who you can relate to would probably be good for yourself too. Your friend will probably end up accomplishing what they want anyway, you just get to choose whether to help or hinder them. Just be friendly and supportive; Be their friend if you want to be their friend :)

NothingElseMatters

I have a close friend who's sort of similar to me, and I'm afraid he's becoming more sociable and outgoing. Am I selfish for wanting him to stay introverted like me, because I sort of feel an obligation to be happy for him. It's also that even though he sorta looks up to me, he's getting better at the stuff I'm also talented at. I feel like he's going to be great and successful in life while I fall behind and do pretty much nothing. Anyone have words of advice, or are in similar situations?

you r not a crappy friend.you r a jealous one and there is nothing wrong with being jealous cause its a feeling u cant control.it happened to me in the past.same thing,a friend was becoming better than me in something and what made me feel more uncomfortable was that i pushed him into doing that activity(it will sound ridiculous if i mention the activity).
but then i realized the thing that hippiechild mentioned about getting yourself in his position.so i started praising him and keep pushing him and that's when i felt much much better about myself.i could say that he felt better too

Thanks guys. I mean I think I'm a good friend when we're with each other. It's just when I see him getting slightly closer to people I'm close with, making them crack up and stuff, I feel like I'm going to be replaced, because I'm graduating and he's not since he's younger than me.