Think I'm going to get hired

kristina303

At the Salavation Army. The manger walked me through the back and told me how everything worked. She also told me that everyone that works there is a big family and most of the customers are regulars and you have to be outgoing and talk to them. My dad really really wants me to have this job so I can't back out but how will I become a family with the other coworkers? And I'll be doing cashier so idk if I can be outgoing to all the customers. :( this really sucks.

whatsoever

being a family at work... It sounds really scary but you can handle it! :) beginnig might be harsh but I'm sure with every day it will be better :) good luck.

xDreamseller

Don't worry about it Kristina. I work in a small shop, in a rural village. It's the same customers every day, some even come in 3-4 times a day just to chat to the staff.

Talking to customers is SO much easier than talking in a "normal" conversation.

kristina303

Don't worry about it Kristina. I work in a small shop, in a rural village. It's the same customers every day, some even come in 3-4 times a day just to chat to the staff.

Talking to customers is SO much easier than talking in a "normal" conversation.

How is it easier?

OceanMist

To what someone said earlier about working in a small shop in a rural area, that is much different than what the OP will be going through.

I just looked up Dalton, GA's population (33,000), and that's much bigger than a rural town's customer base as far as people she'll have to deal with. She will be dealing with a customer's on pretty steady basis at a place like the Salvation Army. It will not be the same customers every day.

OP, you don't have to become a family with everyone. You are there to make money. Do your best to be friendly but don't worry about making everyone happy.

Jobs like waiter and cashier are the kiss of death for me. I've been a cashier before and hated every second of it. I've never been a waiter because that's not even worth trying. I'd hate that even more because waiters are expected to be cheery, talk a lot, charming and smile a lot, not my thing.

Working with other people is always a giant pain in the ass. I'm not going to lie. I hate working with people, just absolutely hate it. What really sucks is that we have to work with people if we want to work. There really aren't any jobs that I can find that don't have people that have to be dealt with.

I tried applying for the newspaper 4 times and they never call me back when I do my follow up calls.

All the good jobs are taken in my city. Coming up here in 6 months I'm going to have to start looking for more work besides my flower delivery job (which is only part time) and may end up being a cashier at a fast food joint. Somebody shoot me now. That's how I feel.

I'm ranting again as usual. Whatevs.

Sora

How is it easier?

It just is...
Mostly because you have no choice, you can't just blank them u have to reply!

This was one of my worst fears but lately I have had no choice, just had to do it, and now I don't really mind but I generally love helping people even though half the time I can't but just been friendly is enough and they usually are happy enough with that.

kristina303

To what someone said earlier about working in a small shop in a rural area, that is much different than what the OP will be going through.

I just looked up Dalton, GA's population (33,000), and that's much bigger than a rural town's customer base as far as people she'll have to deal with. She will be dealing with a customer's on pretty steady basis at a place like the Salvation Army. It will not be the same customers every day.

OP, you don't have to become a family with everyone. You are there to make money. Do your best to be friendly but don't worry about making everyone happy.

Jobs like waiter and cashier are the kiss of death for me. I've been a cashier before and hated every second of it. I've never been a waiter because that's not even worth trying. I'd hate that even more because waiters are expected to be cheery, talk a lot, charming and smile a lot, not my thing.

Working with other people is always a giant pain in the ass. I'm not going to lie. I hate working with people, just absolutely hate it. What really sucks is that we have to work with people if we want to work. There really aren't any jobs that I can find that don't have people that have to be dealt with.

I tried applying for the newspaper 4 times and they never call me back when I do my follow up calls.

All the good jobs are taken in my city. Coming up here in 6 months I'm going to have to start looking for more work besides my flower delivery job (which is only part time) and may end up being a cashier at a fast food joint. Somebody shoot me now. That's how I feel.

I'm ranting again as usual. Whatevs.

You're right I don't have to be a family with them I just have to be friendly. I'm going to try to do it, because I think the more I have to talk to people the better I will get at it.

Sora

You're right I don't have to be a family with them I just have to be friendly. I'm going to try to do it, because I think the more I have to talk to people the better I will get at it.

Spot on! - this is exactly how it is.

kristina303

I went down there to get help on my application today and omg there were so many cute guys working there. Guys wayyy out of my league. Now I'm going to be wayyyyy more nervous working there. And my dad won't stop talking to me about it saying you gotta get this job, you need this job blah blah blah.

truffleshuffle

Good luck on getting the job! Its nice to have a reason to get up in the morning. I need to find me some work as well been ages but Its hard to find part time work in this economy.

Thelema

It sounds like you've already got it and all the social interactions will be healthy for you.

razzle dazzle rose

Good luck! It is always overwhelming starting a new job; take it one step at a time and don't worry too much about becoming "part of the family" with your coworkers. Customer interactions can be tough, but you will balance the cashiering part of your job by also working the floor so it won't be that bad. And yeah, having a schedule, talking to other people, all that will help lots. (This is all something I gotta do myself! I have been out of work for two years now...feels longer. It will be very hard, but not impossible.)

kristina303

Damn I went down there this morning and one of the ladies told me a lot of people applied and there's a big stack of applications the manager has to go through. I thought I had the job but I guess not. This sucks.

truffleshuffle

Don't give up hope yet, you never know! Hope ya get it. Fingers-crossed!!
You may still get it don;t give up. It could be worse.Like me I once went to a place and they liked me and had me do the job for a day to make sure I could do it and said your hired but give us a week to do a few things. Then the next week they closed down.

MikeyC

Damn I went down there this morning and one of the ladies told me a lot of people applied and there's a big stack of applications the manager has to go through. I thought I had the job but I guess not. This sucks.
There's still hope. Good luck, Kristina. :)