I have a fear of being 'told off'. Is this SA??

Toomuchfear

Hello guys. I have a fear of being told off or scolded. :mad:
I don't know if it's social anxiety?

This began because when I was a child my dominant mother would always shout at me for even the littlest thing, even if it was an accident (I was a very clumsy child!) It meant I had to tread carefully. My Dad was the same, he was quick to scold if I didn't obey his every instruction. "DO AS YOU TOLD".
I never went outside my house in case the neighbourhood children would tell me off.

At school, I also had a fear of being told off by the teacher, the fear was so strong that I couldn't even talk to the teacher. Eventually after careful avoidance, the teacher would scold me for not asking for help in the first place, it would become a cycle of fear. I was really really scared all the time!

Now, as an adult, I am more confident, but the fear is always at the back of my head, even if logically it can't be true. I know, realistically, people won't shout at me. It prevents me from doing certain things that I really want to do! My biggest fear would be a group of people telling me off and everyone laughing at me.

So I'm a little confused. Do you think this is social anxiety? When I understand what it is, I can work toward hopefully overcoming it. Please help ::(:

Wow Toomuchfear, I really think this is interesting topic.
Cuz I deal with the same, I feel a lot of anxiety when people shout at me.
Because of raising voice and voice regulation.
My parents shout about little things too, example when I drop something on the floor accident'ly. It could make me feel really depressed cuz of the fear of being told off.

Johno

Your story made a lot of sense to me. I can relate and do understand the complex nature of your irk.... Being told off is not pleasant in any situation.. In fact I hate it and mostly ignore it.

coyote

I have this fear, too.

It leads to my avoidance of situations where I worry i might screw up and get called on the carpet by someone in authority.

Or by an ex-wife or their family.

Or by anyone, really.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I have this fear, too.

It leads to my avoidance of situations where I worry i might screw up and get called on the carpet by someone in authority.

Or by an ex-wife or their family.

Or by anyone, really.

Coyote, you NEVER get that road runner, you are not wily!

Like that? Yeah I fear this too being scolded, I mean, never a good feeling for anyone. ::(:

Nanita

Yep... I try to avoid people who often criticize and such.

Also I have a fear that authorities will try to catch me or something, because of something I did or didnt do, money I didn´t pay back, anything.