Will insurance go up?

jt

Hello,
Im 20 years old and Im worried that insurance might go up if I get diagnosed with SP. Is this true? I heard if I stop schooling and have to get my own insurance that no insurance would want me if I had SP and took meds. Please help, I want to go to the doc but im afraid.

jbkosman

If you have existing coverage, it should not change, reason being that your contract is essentially that... you agree to pay X amount for X amount of coverage. It normally works then that if you changed your coverage (either with the same company or change to a new company or whatever to create a new contract) they might up the premium.

Check with your company on that however. Send them an email if it's easier but you'll need to get the info from them.

Also, don't *not* go to the doctor whatever the outcome. Do what you need to do now to fix yourself essentially considering it an investment for your life later on.

Sucks that people like us have to deal with this, but hey, considering that the average person doesn't have to, you will come out with an advantage over that person once you get over this.

spurs

you don't need to tell them you have SP. especially if you haven't been diagnosed with it yet. from what i gather, they would be more worried about physiological conditions, or extreme mental conditions like schitzophrenia. Many people without "mental disorders" still see councellors/psychologists so it's not like they would know you have SP if they are receiving invoices for councelling.
You can ring any health insurance company and ask what their policy is. you don;t have to tell them your mane - just make an anonymous inquiry.
The insurance my family has none of us had to tell them if we had any conditions or anything. You just paya set rate for whatever benefits you want to receive. If you want to be reimbursed for seeing a psychologist it may be more expensive, but seeing you're only 20 i'm sure there are government rebates for that.
Don't be afraid of talking to your doctor. everything you say is confidential, and he won't have any connection to health insurance companies so it's not like you need to be worried about him telling them or something.
Insurance companies will take anyone as a customer. They rely on revenue from sick people. But it's not like SP is a major liability, like a heart condition or something. All they would have to pay for are councelling sessions, it's not like u'll be hospitalised, so try not to worry about it so much.
I know heaps of people in their twenties who don't have health insurance, and i wouldn't bother getting it myself until i'm older.
Just go and see you doctor, they'll be able to advise you on what to do.
hope this helps!