Will I Survive in the UK???

dymond26

Hello:

My name is Rachael and I have social phobia. I always knew something was different about me, but I just learn a name for it about two years ago. My dr. put a name to it, but I never went to the shedule appt. she set up for me with a psychologist. Well, I finally came to the realization that I am in serious need of help and as of today I set up an appt. to get some help. I live my life is fear. I will not go to the store or any other social events if I can help it. I just got to the point where I can drive without having an anxiety attack. I sweat profusely with I get nervous, I blush and I get heat flashes and so much more.

My spouse whom is in the military is about to deploy. I notice when he is not around to rescue me from all my SA problems I tend to get very depress. I wonder if I can make it without him or if I am capable of harming myself. One time when he deployed, I really felt like I was going insane b/c he is the only person I had to talk too. My spouse is the complete opposite from me. He is very lively and is very outgoing. He can talk to anyone I can't. I fear what people are going to think of me. I fear that I will not be accepted. Anyways my spouse is about to deploy next month and I am feeling very afraid again. Therefore, I have came to realization that I need professional help to beat this. I always make goals to get out and socialize, but I seem to never meet any of these goals. I need someone to talk to everyday. Another reason I want help is because once my spouse get back from his deployment we will be getting stationed in the UK (England). This will be very scary for me especially when it is time for my spouse to deploy over there. I have to get to a point where I am not scared to socialize with other. I am always tying to figure out why I am this way and the only thing I can ever come up with is my growing with in a very abusive and violence household. I was very sheltered and afraid to talk to other people b/c of figuring it would really upset my father. I watched my mother get physically and mentally abused by my father all throughout my childhood. I can into the military to escape all that. I watched my father mentally and physically abuse my oldest brother until one day he picked up my father 12 gaged shot gun and shot himself. Thankfully he is still with us. I had to go to school with SA and listen to people make jokes about the situation. I know that they did not know any better we were children. Except I was different in so many ways. I force to grow up faster than I need too. My father always told me that I was not going to mount to anything. Well, I have. Anyways, some days I feel ruin. I am so thankful to have my husband. I love him dearly and he is truly a blessing. I feel like he is an angel sent from heaven. He has been through a lot with me. Some days I wonder why he has stuck by me after all I put him through when were dating and first got married. I was so mentally disturbed and jealous. I am sorry if I am venting, but I think this forum will really help me. I look forward to seeking and giving advice

freesprit

hi dymond,

the fact that you are happily married proves that there is more to you than you think. you have achieved something most of us havent. found that very special person who loves you for whom you are and you have managed to sustain that relationship. maybe its not that important to feel comfortable in public. when it comes down to it what matters is having a few people around you whom you can communicate with and you can trust.

freesprit

hi dymond,

the fact that you are happily married proves that there is more to you than you think. you have achieved something most of us havent. found that very special person who loves you for whom you are and you have managed to sustain that relationship. maybe its not that important to feel comfortable in public. when it comes down to it what matters is having a few people around you whom you can communicate with and you can trust.

freesprit

By the way when I was reading your family history I deeply emphatized. Unfortunatly I have a similar family background. Its saddens me to see how an upbringing could impact a persons interaction with the world. In my case my mother died when I was 5 years old in a car accident and I was left alone with my father who always pushed me and my brother around degrading and critisizing us for every move we made. Then he got married and our step mother was worse than him. It was torture living in that house.The weird thing is our father is a very smart and successful businessman and because of the high standards he set for us we had no choice but to be successful in life. My and my brother went to ivy league schools with international student scholarships in the US. we are both very active in sports, and other aspects of life..However I know that we are both unhappy. Deep down I feel sad and lonely and I know he feels the same. Normally I dont talk about my past and how it has affected me to anyone around me so I am using this platform to vent out some of the feelings I have bottled up inside. And lately the strain I feel in public has increased dramatically. I think the problems of my childhood have finally come to haunt me.
It drives me crazy when I see parents treating their kids bad and damaging their confidence. I know people say that forgiving is the best thing you do for yourself but I am not sure if I can forgive my father.
I hope you, me, people like us find peace one day.

dymond26

Freespirit, I am sorry to hear that you also had a very challenging childhood. I can understand you when you say you feel bottled up inside. I feel the same way like a scared little girl trapped in a grown up body. I believe that my childhood definently haunts me. It holds me back from so much. I always wondered why my father was the way he was and found out once I was grown and out the house that his father beat up his mother. I just want to be able to erase that part of my life so that I can enjoy my life to the fullest. However, it seems no matter how much I try to do it a reminder always resurface. This is a great place to vent, b/c no knows your identity. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery.

freesprit

thank you for your kind wishes. I wish the same to you. :)

'scared little girl trapped inside a grown up body' is the exact way I feel. your words mirror my feelings.