Why isn't APD officially recognised in Australia?

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I've been seeing a couple of mental health professionals over the last few years to help deal with anxiety and a few other problems. I've had a sense for some time that being treated for anxiety alone isn't quite hitting the mark, and the more I read about APD, the more I read about other peoples experiences dealing with APD, the more I can identify with having it myself.
I honestly think I have APD.
Does anyone know why APD isn't recognised in Australia?
It's going to make it tough to deal with if professionals refuse to talk about it.
Thanks.

Lilly789

Ill keep this really simple because I tend to waffle (who am I kidding, Im going to waffle).

There are two diagnostic books used in Australia that deal with personality disorders in a professional capacity. AvPD is in BOTH of them. So YES, it is 'recognised' here. Even if it wasn't, I don't think an educated professional adult would refuse to talk about it (?!)

Keep in mind though, many people with a PD can have "personality disorder" without it ever being defined - most personality disorders don't have a name, and OFTEN cross categories (not just comorbidities, which is different). This is because there's so many variations and combinations of symptoms that its just impossible to define every combination. PD is a combination of personality, inner experience and cognition, reflected against whatever is or isn't acceptable in your particular culture - not exactly something that simply will or wont fit into a category or that's easy to define.

The only TRUE (consistent) "rule" for diagnosis for a personality disorder, is, strangely, written pretty well on Wikipedia (for the record I hate Wikipedia) -

"...enduring maladaptive patterns of behaviour, cognition and inner experience, exhibited across many contexts and deviating markedly from those accepted by the individual's culture. These patterns develop early, are inflexible and are associated with significant distress or disability."

whether one set of rules is or isn't "recognised" is kind of irrelevant too. It doesn't mean that an individual who has a set of symptoms that are listed in a PD that is no longer "recognised" does not have a personality disorder. Its the categorizing that changes, not the existence of combinations of symptoms.

If you think your issues might have more to do with personality, and your symptoms are SIGNIFICANTLY impacting on your life (usually permanent / long term), a psychologist might be able to shine more light on the matter. Theres nothing wrong with suggesting to them the prospect of a personality disorder - they will soon be able to tell you if it is or not after a chat with you.

For the record, I haven't given any "advice" here other than go see someone. The above are definitions of PD as determined by psychologists/ psychiatrists, not myself, and anyone here can go onto JSTOR and do a few weeks of research to understand it for themselves.

Last edited:
^that's really interesting - does it mean that aspects of a personality disorder that deviate from what is acceptable in one culture may possibly be seen as ok in another, I wonder?

Lilly789

^that's really interesting - does it mean that aspects of a personality disorder that deviate from what is acceptable in one culture may possibly be seen as ok in another, I wonder?

Technically, aspects of it, in theory, yes.

But in reality, the personality / beliefs / behaviours are SIGNIFICANT and inflexible and seriously impact on life - that is relationships with other people, and stability in life.

most cultures, at least these days, would see someone with PD as not quite right, or difficult to deal with.

Last edited:

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Thanks for the responses guys :) Kihira - im in S.A.
As I mentioned, I've been seeing a couple of mental health professionals for a few years. One of them is a psychiatrist the other a psychologist. I mentioned to both of them at different times that the thing that I feel closest to having is APD. I have my next appt' next month so I'll be bringing it up again and digging into the whole subject with them a little more.
I guess after making some inroads whilst being treated for anxiety but it feeling as though its not quite hitting the mark, it feels quite frustrating to bring APD up, only to have it basically dismissed - especially when im fairly certain that's what I may have.

Anyway, thanks again for the info/links. I'll keep looking for ways to make things a little more bearable. :)