Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Nothing better to do

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • Other

Votes: 9 8.5%

• Total voters

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
There's another thread just like this but the poll closed so I thought I'd start a new one.(This is legal right?) Just curious to why you all are here at SPW.

Felgen

Get help with what's left of my anxiety and make some friends. Also, I'm here to get help with my Asperger's syndrome; I know there are plenty of people here who fall somewhere on the autistic scpectrum.

It's the only place where I can be around/amongst people like me, ie. who experience the same problems.:)
There is noone in my rl who has the faintest idea what SA is like.

Kiwong

I here to share the experience of what my life is like with fellow sufferers of anxiety.

Forgotten-Children

I was very depressed the day I joined. I was just searching for an outlet for my emotions since the forums that I go on, frown upon the bitching and moaning threads. :/ Basicly they say, if you have problems, just PM your friends about it but what if my friends can't help? a majority of my friends are actually younger than me and, ironicly, look up to me like an older sister.

I needed somewhere to vent because I know in the past if I couldn't I'd bottle it all up and just the mention of the phrase "Are you OK?" made me break down into tears. Now, I'm kind of an emotion-less zombie because of it, because I try to hide my emotions from my parents and boyfriend and none of them can tell whether I'm happy or sad. (my boyfriend can sometimes, but most of the time I can act like everything's OK when in reality, all in my mind is doom.)

Heh.. This made me think of the Doom Song from Invader Zim. xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3lSsw_IUYc&feature=related

Last edited:

Aussie_Lad

I came across this site on my google travels, and once here, it sucked me in with no means of escape. ::p:

EscapeArtist

I was very depressed the day I joined. I was just searching for an outlet for my emotions since the forums that I go on, frown upon the bitching and moaning threads. :/ Basicly they say, if you have problems, just PM your friends about it but what if my friends can't help? a majority of my friends are actually younger than me and, ironicly, look up to me like an older sister.

I needed somewhere to vent because I know in the past if I couldn't I'd bottle it all up and just the mention of the phrase "Are you OK?" made me break down into tears. Now, I'm kind of an emotion-less zombie because of it, because I try to hide my emotions from my parents and boyfriend and none of them can tell whether I'm happy or sad. (my boyfriend can sometimes, but most of the time I can act like everything's OK when in reality, all in my mind is doom.)

If there is anything I have learned from the slight ways I've been recovering, which have been through thought process alone... It is that opening up your thoughts and emotions to those around you is one of the most important parts of overcoming social anxiety. If we act as if we are ashamed of our thoughts, feelings and ideas, the more ashamed we will grow, the condition will worsen. Pretend that there is nobody around you, and act aloud as if you have nothing to hide, and it will begin to feel like you have nothing to hide, whether people pay you the attention you most likely crave for these feelings or not. They may be ignored, or they may be acknowledged. If ignored, you may be able to realize the minimal attention that is actually placed on you. If acknowledged, you will most likely gain people who want to help you, and an understanding amongst those who love and want to help you. And if you are insulted because of opening up, it is because of the other person's own fears.

When I began this challenge, of showing whatever it is that I feel or think, I was a crying mess around my entire family. My mom insulted me everytime she saw me crying, until I told her I was crying BECAUSE she was insulting me and not helping me. I know she has a severe fear of emotions, and she stepped up and hugged me. That moment meant a lot, and showed me that a lot of the time we are shunned by others because they are terrified of us, many times because we are real, and we are challenging fears they too have. If they insult, they fear us, because they share the fear we are conquering. Sometimes if we are open, they may understand our fears and be compelled to overcome their own as well.

Last edited:

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Wait a quarter of the people here are here for research? Like observing how SA'ers post and interact with one another here? Or is more personal research, about SA in general?

MaliceInWickedland

I joined for a couple reasons:

1. To get help and advice for my SA from people with SA
2. Make friends who actually understand what I'm going through in life at the moment
3. Help others with SA with my advice (not that my advice is of much help to begin with, lol :b)
4. To escape the real world.

I don't literally live on this forum, but it sure does feel like home to me. At least people here understand me and treat me like an actual human being and not just some shadow who's lurking on the wall. I have absolutely no regrets joining this site and I'm thankful to everyone who's helped me out and supported me so far. Thank you all :)

AGR

Here is pretty much the only place of the net where I can be as close as I am in real life,hear stories and solutions of people in similar situations,share my experiences,I actually get attached to some people and their posts here and keep coming back,when some leave I actually miss them.

Kato

Research? Head shrinks looking for victims? Student projects?I have always wondered how many doctors actually study patients in settings such as these.

I come here mostly to distract myself ?
The outside world is kinda like the dark. I am afraid of this dark. If you hold my hand I might enter it. Unknown to me is how my perceived darkness continues to follow me.

philly2bits

Research? Head shrinks looking for victims? Student projects?I have always wondered how many doctors actually study patients in settings such as these.

I doubt many doctors do. Anonymous internet forums seem a horrible place to get any worthwhile data.

Unless they want to find out if people with SA post those stupid cat pictures as much as non SA people. In that case the internet is great :rolleyes: