what's your heritage?

maggie

my Dad is Italian, my Mom American. They met and settled here in Canada...funny, my dad is really quiet, my mom quite loud and outgoing, always too free with her opinions 8O I never got along with my mom till I moved out, and I swore i would be nothing like her (i guess i got my wish)...enough about me, what's your heritage? :)

Danfalc

Banned
umm

My dads spanish and my mums english,so that might make me half spanish, but ive lived in the uk all my life so im defo more english than spanish

aaaiiihhh

my mom is chinese. And my dad is chinese. I guess that would make me... chinese. :) (Live in US)

I've discussed with my sister about social anxiety - she has it as well, and we both think there are cultural factors involved. Things like how in the culture, it is polite to say the elder's name really loud... And the louder you say it, the more polite you're being... We think things like this contribute to fear of authority. Cuz if you were to not say it, then my mom would give us looks like we were bad kids. But when you're a kid, you're naturally shy and scared of adults and authority.

I'm sure i'ts not the only thing, but i'm sure culture has something to do with it.

Scottish_Player

Iam Scottish and both my mum and dad are Scottish aswell.i have some Irish and Pollish background somewhere along the lines but it too far back for me to try and write it all here :D

aaaiiihhh said:
my mom is chinese. And my dad is chinese. I guess that would make me... chinese. :) (Live in US)
I've discussed with my sister about social anxiety - she has it as well, and we both think there are cultural factors involved. Things like how in the culture, it is polite to say the elder's name really loud... And the louder you say it, the more polite you're being... We think things like this contribute to fear of authority. Cuz if you were to not say it, then my mom would give us looks like we were bad kids. But when you're a kid, you're naturally shy and scared of adults and authority.
I'm sure i'ts not the only thing, but i'm sure culture has something to do with it.

I'm Chinese. Also a immigrant. (living in Canada right now)
I agree with aaaiiihhh. Yes I think the Chinese culture does expect you to be shy. And that's not the only factor. Other big factors are
It's really hard for immigrants to fit into the society. Especially someone from the opposite side of Earth. The cultural difference is too great, no matter what you try. e.g. there is little common interests between people from the 2 cultures etc. That makes immigrants feel they're not welcome.
Also these days in China people are only allowed to have 1 child. That makes parents overly protective. --- another major factor of SP.

Horatio

25% Scottish
25% Welsh
25% English
12.5% Polish/German
12.5% Not sure but either Italian or Cannibal

100% New Zealander

Crimefish

Ancient; Egyptian and viking. More recent; my mum is American and my dad's English. I was born in England.

Angie_05

50% German
25% Mexican
25% Salvadoran

Lived in U.S. all my life in the boring state of Kansas, as well as my parents. I think its great we have such a diverse group here. I love talking to people that are different than me and everyone around me.

Ensamniak

Scottish, Cherokee, English, French, German, Irish. Commonly refered to as a mutt. :)

But born in America and have never left the country, or the east coast for that matter.

My paternal Greatgrandmother was 75% Cherokee Indian.

Luckily I get this info from my mother and grandfather who are into geneology for a hobby. I'm a direct descendant of the famous American train and bank robbers " Frank and Jesse James" (commited first daylight bank robbery) and direct descendant of "Robert the Bruce" of Scotland. And wanna go to Scotland so bad too. :)

black_mamba

I think its great we have such a diverse group here. I love talking to people that are different than me and everyone around me.

People with mixed backgrounds tend to have richer personalities, in my experience anyway, which can make talking to them quite interesting.

My parents are from Iraq. I was born in England.
My boyfriend is Polish / Greek
My best friend (other than bf) is an Afro-Carribean Greek
His girlfriend is French.

:p I love diversity.

Great topic.