What Platforms You Use to Meet People

Xervello

Thought I'd start a thread asking people what platforms they use to talk with friends or meet new people, be they forums like this, facebook, twitter, various apps, gaming sites, etc, to give everyone a better idea of the options out there. This place is great for learning about issues and airing our thoughts, fears and grievances but it might help to hear how others network for those that want to give that a go.

Personally I'm not active at all. I only use google chat to talk to a couple of old friends and Twitter to occasionally respond to people (and not always positively, lol)

Phoenixx

This forum has been the only place where I've ever made online friends. I still keep in touch with some old members from here on Facebook. I don't talk to them on a regular basis, but Facebook does help keep in the loop even if it is littered with political posts, ads, and minion quotes. :rolleyes: I actually use Facebook to keep in touch with pretty much everyone in my life, as I have a lot of family members and friends that no longer live near me. I use Instagram too, but not so much for communication, just because I like posting pictures and seeing other people post pictures too.

Xervello

This forum has been the only place where I've ever made online friends. I still keep in touch with some old members from here on Facebook. I don't talk to them on a regular basis, but Facebook does help keep in the loop even if it is littered with political posts, ads, and minion quotes. :rolleyes: I actually use Facebook to keep in touch with pretty much everyone in my life, as I have a lot of family members and friends that no longer live near me. I use Instagram too, but not so much for communication, just because I like posting pictures and seeing other people post pictures too.

That's great you use facebook to keep in touch with some of the spw peeps. Family, too. The lack of friends is the very reason I never got into that. To me it seemed more like a social resume kinda thing. While I have a few family members here or there, they're the last people I want commenting or seeing what I'm doing, saying, thinking, ha ha. It's cool you're on Instagram. Do you post pictures you take or selfies? I'm more of a Twitter person. Which is a good way to meet people but it also tends to be bring out the worst in people, as well. The snark and politics and general negativity can be addictive. I'd argue more than Facebook can. Depends on how you go about it, I s'pose. If you ever use it, lemme know and I'll follow you. :)

Phoenixx

That's great you use facebook to keep in touch with some of the spw peeps. Family, too. The lack of friends is the very reason I never got into that. To me it seemed more like a social resume kinda thing. While I have a few family members here or there, they're the last people I want commenting or seeing what I'm doing, saying, thinking, ha ha. It's cool you're on Instagram. Do you post pictures you take or selfies? I'm more of a Twitter person. Which is a good way to meet people but it also tends to be bring out the worst in people, as well. The snark and politics and general negativity can be addictive. I'd argue more than Facebook can. Depends on how you go about it, I s'pose. If you ever use it, lemme know and I'll follow you. :)
Yeah I used to feel the same about Facebook a while back, it's definitely a lonely platform if you don't have a lot of friends, but so is any other social platform if you think about it. My entire social network has changed a lot in the past 6 - 7 years though, between moving, going back to college and evidently being there way too long, as well as getting married. I don't have hundreds of friends still like a lot of people I know, but that doesn't matter. Granted I have unfollowed half of my friend's list lol, but I do follow and keep in touch with the people that matter to me.

I post both pictures and selfies on Instagram. Mainly of food and my cats. :LOL: I'm always open to followers and following back, as long as I know you in some form. I've had people request Twitter, but I don't have one. I never really got the gist of it, to be honest. Maybe it's because I like to write and express my thoughts in more than 160 characters lol.

LoyalXenite

I use whatsapp and facebook to talk to people I already know, and to a lesser degree Tumblr, Instagram, and Twitter (and I guess here technically too). As for meeting new people I dont really do that anymore at all, I used to meet people on fandom forums and chatsites but since those arent as popular as they were 10-15 years ago I dont really use any of the remaining ones anymore.

I miss the old MSN Messenger, that was always my favourite

Xervello

I use whatsapp and facebook to talk to people I already know, and to a lesser degree Tumblr, Instagram, and Twitter (and I guess here technically too). As for meeting new people I dont really do that anymore at all, I used to meet people on fandom forums and chatsites but since those arent as popular as they were 10-15 years ago I dont really use any of the remaining ones anymore.

I miss the old MSN Messenger, that was always my favourite

OMG, MSN Messenger, lol. I loved that bleepin' thing. It was great because it had silly games on it you could play with friends. Even an in-video feature that me and another friend would watch and comment on movies together. Not to mention how simple and transparent it was to manage contacts. I used to have a bunch of MSN friends on it back in the day. Probably my favorite memory of it was me and a friend spending the entire day following the 2008 election day results when Obama won. It was an experience. Ah, the good old days.

Btw, I'm a Twitter addict. If you're lookin' for a new follower, pm me your handle.

LoyalXenite

OMG, MSN Messenger, lol. I loved that bleepin' thing. It was great because it had silly games on it you could play with friends. Even an in-video feature that me and another friend would watch and comment on movies together. Not to mention how simple and transparent it was to manage contacts. I used to have a bunch of MSN friends on it back in the day. Probably my favorite memory of it was me and a friend spending the entire day following the 2008 election day results when Obama won. It was an experience. Ah, the good old days.

Btw, I'm a Twitter addict. If you're lookin' for a new follower, pm me your handle.

Msn Messenger was the best, I loved having a rotating display pic. I still have the folder with a few hundred images that used to rotate. Its actually where my current avatar is from too :LOL:

Im pretty lazy with Twitter but you're welcome to follow me, its @LoyalXenite (Im very creative with my names :LOL:)