What happens in an anxiety disorder/ eye phobia as an example

hardy

One example...It's the same with other phobia s too. As soon as we look into the eyes, there is a thought of fear due to some past incident/habit(this happens so fast, we are not even aware)..This leads to an unpleasant sensation of fear in heart or in stomach...We don't want this sensation, so we escape(stop looking) or take medication...Drink etc, which doesn't help... What to do? I have been pleading people to learn vipassana...But no one wants to go to the Root of the problem....at least begin with mindfulness.... Having said this it will take lot of effort to overcome this but it's more than worth ... For me. May you come out of this n be happy... Peaceful...Lots of love

lily

One example...It's the same with other phobia s too. As soon as we look into the eyes, there is a thought of fear due to some past incident/habit(this happens so fast, we are not even aware)..This leads to an unpleasant sensation of fear in heart or in stomach...We don't want this sensation, so we escape(stop looking) or take medication...Drink etc, which doesn't help... What to do? I have been pleading people to learn vipassana...But no one wants to go to the Root of the problem....at least begin with mindfulness.... Having said this it will take lot of effort to overcome this but it's more than worth ... For me. May you come out of this n be happy... Peaceful...Lots of love
Hi, i just wanted to comment on how well you put this! I have not tried vipassana b/c you told us that it can be very dangerous if not done properly and i don't want to take that risk and you would also have to really trust your practitioner who is willing to do it w/ you and won't leave you in a dangerous state and cost you more money or manipulate you, you know? Thank you for your kind words

hardy

Please don't misunderstand.... Medication isn't a permanent solution for fears... One has to become like a scientist to overcome/face it like a LION.. And I found vipassana helps us to become scientist of our own mind.... Try it... You will see how it helps. May there be no fear. Quote" it can be dangerous if not done under the supervision of a competitive teacher in the beginning"... Once we learn it.. We can start our own practice daily at home comfortably... Did u find any other solution? I didn't...So I highly recommend everyone do it..... Only problem is a new teacher sometimes cannot help n they recommend us to see a psychiatrist first... Talking to a senior vipassana teacher at my place was the beginning for me.... Meet a good teacher...I can find you one if you want... I'm in touch with a few in India. Can give u phone number of a very good/nice senior teacher. If this sounds too difficult now start reading books on vipassana n maybe if you find the confidence u can sit....I had to become miserable n desperate to begin this journey, why wait for that to happen.... My journey has just begun, lot's of up's n downs...May we come out of this hell n live happy n peaceful life..

Last edited:

hardy

Having an inclination towards vipassana (and to an extent on mindfulness also) shows u r thinking very wisely..... That's a big big step sister... Believe me, u r on the right direction...Do not despair...We can meet this phobia inducing mind with a nice kick in the back. No side effects... Everything becomes Crystal clear....But this is a long journey... Taking one step also helps. Have faith in the laws of nature... Buddha n sangha(people who teach us ) fear can be dealt with much wisely if we have the right understanding/tools n willing to work with it. Peace chao... Your brother who is also going through this pain.