What do you feel around people?

YellowBird

i want to know if we have similar experiences..here's what happens to me:it feels like i'm on a big screen and everyone can see my every move really close up,i feel like everyone is staring at me and making fun of me even if they are miles away,i even feel like they might hurt me,sometimes it's so severe,i think i'm gonna start screaming "STOP LOOKING AT ME",i feel like the ugliest person on earth,like everything about me is disgusting and people see that and hate me for it,if i'm with an acquaintance,i still feel all those things in addition my mind freezes and i don't know what to say,i can't stand the way my voice sounds and with everything i say,i cringe.

MollyBeGood

i want to know if we have similar experiences..here's what happens to me:it feels like i'm on a big screen and everyone can see my every move really close up,i feel like everyone is staring at me and making fun of me even if they are miles away,i even feel like they might hurt me,sometimes it's so severe,i think i'm gonna start screaming "STOP LOOKING AT ME",i feel like the ugliest person on earth,like everything about me is disgusting and people see that and hate me for it,if i'm with an acquaintance,i still feel all those things in addition my mind freezes and i don't know what to say,i can't stand the way my voice sounds and with everything i say,i cringe.

that's me too. I feel the same. :(

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Imagine if The Elephant Man walked intae a beauty contest... ah staun oot.

Like everybuddy lookin' at me... Going: "Ah dinnae like the look uh that beard. Ah'm oot uh here" :sarcastic:

Ah feel ugly, awkward, stoopid and eh... Jist oot uh place, in general. Y'know like Mel Gibson in Braveheart. Haw-haw! :bigsmile:
Jokes aside, ye git ma point - hopefully? If no', at least ye hud a wee laugh or ye hud a wry wee smile as ye read this... ;)

Ah tell jokes, a lot... Ah cannae help masel'.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I used to feel exactly like that, but I found these things fade away when you start to be satisfied with who you are. I think it's useless to try to work on these kind of specific issues directly since they all seem to be no more than a symptom of our absolute self-depreciation.

jaim38

Yeah, I get this too, when I'm in an empty room all by myself. I imagine lots of eyes looking at me and what I'm doing, and I become paranoid. My heart beat goes up, I get performance anxiety, my IQ drops maybe 30 points, and I become less productive as a result. Also, I keep having negative thoughts such as imagining people call me stupid, incompetent, ugly, b*tch, etc. I know it's all in my head but I let it get to me so much that I spiral out of control! Strangely, interacting with positive people in real life actually help lessen the anxiety and paranoia.

MotherWolff

Banned

Whoa....this paragraph sounds like a picture-perfect description of how I felt around people in the past. This stuff is like a fog or illusion. Its a fog because you can't see anything good and its an illusion because all those statements are simply not true. The only way I got out of this foggy illusion was through my faith in God.

He is the one who keeps me sane. Alot of the folks here just accept the way things are as far as their SA/social phobia goes and aren't willing to change it. All they want to do is whine and complain about it to everyone as if that right there is gonna solve the problem. But the truth is...it won't. I believe that God is the only salvation from things like SA/social phobia. He helped me and He can help you too....all of you.:thumbup:

Kiwong

I feel like I am suffocating in negativity. Being around people seems like a Spanish Inquisition, and I don't shape up at all. I can't say the right things, look the right way. It's like I am surrounded by the anger of strangers. I see their anger and all I want to do is escape it.

I hear some people ask why about my anxious behaviour, never directly. I would like to ask, why do you call me names, why do you scream at me, why do see the worst, why are you so angry, why can't see through my anxiety. I've told the lot of you I have anxiety.

I feel most comfort in my own thoughts and dreams; I feel no comfort around people, unless I can be anonymous.

Last edited:

Lavinialuna

It depends on the day and who I am around. If I am talking to someone I know (even my parents) I notice that I feel faint and dizzy, and like I need to sit down, nauseated. Then I realize that I have been holding every muscle in my body tight the whole time I was talking to them. I blush, I fidget, feel awkward. Sometimes I catch myself holding my breath and I wonder if the physical symptoms come from that.
I notice I generally walk around in public with a scowl on my face, I think it is defensive to hold people away.
If I am out and about and having a particularly bad day I feel terrified. People look alien to me on bad days, like a different species. They are as scary to me as ghosts are. Only freakier because they are ghosts who have bodies and I can see them. (I didn't always feel this way, it wasn't until about 3 years ago.)
I feel ugly and like I am being judged, I worry I am doing something wrong, or being a bother to people. Sometimes I just feel like running out of a store for no explainable reason. It just depends on my state of mind, and I notice that my pain level also plays a big role on my anxiety level.
This is why I am most comfortable at home. My family members seem normal to me (not alien) and although the noise the kids make can cause my anxiety to act up, or if they fight, I can usually function okay. As long as everything goes according to plan I am usually okay, but one little thing can throw me into a downward spiral, even an unkind word from someone online, a negative facebook post, or an unexpected phone call from my mom. Anything out of the ordinary sends me spinning. It's a hard way to precariously balance.

OceanMist

If I had to describe my feelings around others it's a big numbness. I don't feel much of anything.

I feel like a robot, just using basic conversation skills when I have to talk.

hoddesdon

whoa....this paragraph sounds like a picture-perfect description of how i felt around people in the past. This stuff is like a fog or illusion. Its a fog because you can't see anything good and its an illusion because all those statements are simply not true. The only way i got out of this foggy illusion was through my faith in god.

He is the one who keeps me sane. Alot of the folks here just accept the way things are as far as their sa/social phobia goes and aren't willing to change it. All they want to do is whine and complain about it to everyone as if that right there is gonna solve the problem. But the truth is...it won't. I believe that god is the only salvation from things like sa/social phobia. He helped me and he can help you too....all of you.:thumbup:

+1

fate12321

Well it depends though. If I'm in a public place with a lot of people, then yes I feel exactly like you do.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I feel completely numb, like I am not even outside the situation I am in. I'm aware of what's going on and have my freakouts after thinking about dumb things I said or did, but am really not there when I do them it feels. I think it's a defense mechanism since I was able to get myself to do a lot less before feeling this way. I used to get so worked up over everything, now I just have a numbness of it all. I don't know which is worse.

YellowBird

Imagine if The Elephant Man walked intae a beauty contest... ah staun oot.

Like everybuddy lookin' at me... Going: "Ah dinnae like the look uh that beard. Ah'm oot uh here" :sarcastic:

Ah feel ugly, awkward, stoopid and eh... Jist oot uh place, in general. Y'know like Mel Gibson in Braveheart. Haw-haw! :bigsmile:
Jokes aside, ye git ma point - hopefully? If no', at least ye hud a wee laugh or ye hud a wry wee smile as ye read this... ;)

Ah tell jokes, a lot... Ah cannae help masel'.

aww i feel the same :/ i wish you didn't have to feel like this,you sound so sweet^^

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
aww i feel the same :/ i wish you didn't have to feel like this,you sound so sweet^^

Aw, jings! Ye made me blush, so ye huv... ::eek:: Sorry, whenever folk compliment me on anythin' ah git aw embarrassed, so ah dae. But, y'know, thanks fur the, eh, compliment, nonetheless. :thumbup:

TreeBones

I pretty much feel like allof these rolled up into a ball,.. it varies though.
Mostly, I just feel like everyone around me is all the same, like people are the same person almost, and that they have this animalistic super sense that just knows something about me is "off", no matter how hard I try to hide it.

Livemylife

I feel like I'm suffocating. Specifically when people are less than a foot or so away from me. I feel tense and trapped and want to escape. This also occurs when people approach me. I guess because I'm a petite female who's often alone, people come up to me to ask questions, directions, sell stuff, etc. I realized my first reaction is to avert my eyes as if that means I've escaped. I just want them to back away. If this is sad, bad, "or depressing," OH WELL! I don't enjoy being around people especially strangers!

Earthcircle

I feel puzzled and baffled. How do they manage to be so comfortable together? How are they forming relationships? How does one maintain a relationship? When I see a family, I wonder how they formed and how they stay together. To me, it is mysterious.

FriendlyShadow

I feel like I'm one of those unfortunate people who receives a lot of hate and resentment from others. I, too, feel at times that people are staring at me (not necessarily thinking they make fun of me) and when I look back at them, some of them give me this glaring look at me and say "What?" in an annoyed way. That's happened a lot at school especially and I wouldn't know what to say because I feel bad for looking at them. My grandfather, whenever my Dad and I went on vacation, he'd almost ALWAYS stare at me whenever I'm eating or I'm sitting across from at the table and I try to ignore it but he gives me a smile and starts quizzing me about things(like where is this country, naming months of calendar, ect) or makes me feel bad that I'm quiet. I wish people would stop doing that to me. I mean, I'm not saying it's bad that someone wants to educate me and help me learn, but whenever I have to think for a minute about it or answer the question wrong, they already get annoyed and go "Come on Jamie, you should know this!" It's how they use their tone when they talk to me like that which is always very provoking. It doesn't help my anxiety any better. The only reason I try to avoid eye contact from my grandpa and my grandmother is that they always like to quiz me on even things I have no clue and then I end up getting emotional because they are kind of pressuring me to answer their questions. Another thing I hate is that I'm never allowed to express my opinions and most people like to shove their ideas down my throat. Most people are actually trying to convince and make decisions for me when they don't actually realize it hurts me and it's peer pressure in a way. I do feel like I am very ugly, though I've gotten a little better taking pictures recently than I did back then as I learned to smile better. My parents would go "Do you see the difference when you put make up on you." I was thinking yeah, there's a difference. The difference is is that the make up actually made me look worse than if I had without it. It makes my face look caked and fat looking. I hate when people take pictures of me and I hate that they manipulate me into making me do something I hate doing.