What do you do about.....

Dimples

The Dentist.
I saw something on tv that made me really anxious about my teeth and I would like to get a check up. I haven't been since I was 16 and had braces, that's 7 years and although my teeth seem fine I'm just feeling really paranoid about it.
Can you get a home visit in the UK? Even when I'm really ill I don't go to the doctors so there's no way I can just grim and bear it.

Same question goes for opticians?

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
"Grim and bear it" I really like that.

Housecalls seem to be a bygone thing here in the US, I don't know how it is in the UK.

I think your best-bet would be to make an appointment with a dentist and just tell them you have a dental phobia. This way the receptionist and doctor will be at their most accommodating, since it's problem they've seen a thousand times before. Any "weirdness" on your end will just be chalked-up to that. Personally, it's what I would do. You get compassion without the evisceration of telling a complete stranger about your SP.

I hope this helps. I know you say it's impossible to actually go, but I would've felt bad if I hadn't offered a possible solution.

Same goes for opticians. ;)

Dimples

Ha! I'm guessing that's a UK thing :)
Thanks for the advice but yeah I don't think I'd be able to go at all. I know that here in the UK I can get home doctors visits but I've never known about dentists. I might try sending an email explaining everything and just see how that goes.