Were you abused as children?

If you have SP, were you abused as a child?

• Total voters

MarCPatt

I am just curious as to what percent of people suffering from SP were abused as children. I was physically, mentally, and sexually abused and am wondering if this may be the reason why I developed SP.

Jess333

Hey, you have to update your poll. You have to add an option Mentally and/physically, (they usually go hand in hand anyway)

I was never sexually abused, but mentall and physically yes so unfortunately, i can't answer your poll :D

MarCPatt said:
I am just curious as to what percent of people suffering from SP were abused as children. I was physically, mentally, and sexually abused and am wondering if this may be the reason why I developed SP.

Jess333

MarcPatt"

Abuse is negative and wrong. This type of influence on you when you were a child most -likely had something to do with your learning to think and feel negative about yourself and life, which in turn causes anxiety and low self-esteem = "social phobia".

This type of influence can add a negative spin on EVERY THOUGHT that goes through yhour mind.

It takes retraining your brain to beat this and be happy and content with yourself and life.

Love,
Jess

MarCPatt said:

MarCPatt

Sorry

:( I guess I forgot that some people may have to choose two options and not one or all. I do not know how I can go back and change my poll. :oops:

MarCPatt

Any type of abuse counts.

I was also bullied when I was in the 6th grade. By that time in my life my parents had really broken me down to a bag of insecurity and fear; my parents were drug addicts and cared more about their drugs than anything on this earth. Bullies thrive on other’s weaknesses. Luckily for me this did not last more than a few months before I was taken away from my parents and placed in a foster home. Once in a safer place I told myself that I was not going to allow other children to beat me around. I started fighting back because I told myself that if they wanted to fight me, even if I did not win, I was not going to make it easy on them. Once bullies realized that I could also hurt them, they stopped messing with me.

I guess thinking back to those times, I realize that my insecurities started early in my life. They must have not been too bad though, because I do not remember having social phobia; I used to enjoy the company of sweet and nice people.

Being bullied probably falls in the physical and mental abuse choices in my poll. Most of the people that are bullied are physically and mentally abused by the bully.

Secret_Smile

I was bullied at school and out of school from about the age of 6 till just recently (17 now).
I was the weird poor kid...no one ever likes the weird poor kid.

Nothing as severe as what you've written.
You got through that and thats amazing in itself.

Jess333

Re: Sorry

It's okay! :D Try another one! I would like to put my vote in! Maybe this might help..

Were you abused...

Physically/mentally? (you can probably be safe to lump these together considering they usually go hand in hand)
Sexually
all the above
None of the above

MarCPatt said:
:( I guess I forgot that some people may have to choose two options and not one or all. I do not know how I can go back and change my poll. :oops:

wats up

they say mental illness is genetic.i dont know of any one in my family that has a mental illness. i believe if i wasnt abused and had a good upbringing i wouldnt have SA and depression.

PhantomPod

I wasn't abused physically or emotionally. I had what one would probably consider a "good upbringing" and I have a pretty nice immediate and extended family. Yet I still experience shyness and social phobia. I don't so much believe that this has to do with my family and how I was raised and treated as a child. I even remember being shy as a young child and my parents have told me stories about things I did when I was younger that clearly showed how terribly, terribly shy I was.

gsmax5

I accidentally checked "never" because I thought it was only for sexual abuse. I should have read the choices first!

I was never abused by an adult, but I have been mentally victimized by children.

Last edited:

Saraesa

I don’t know.
My mind is haunted by some very strange images showing me abused by someone. But I can’t state clearly whether this really happened or if it's just an offspring of false memory.

DarkSeeker

Short answer long answer, YES, [add unspeakable horror],

but that's okay it didn't happen to me for real, just to that other part of the brain who took all the damage and turned into a cold hearted emotionless little child while I was busy becoming a real adult with real emotions and a heart of gold. At times I'm not sure which one of them I am, I guess I'll eventually end up being a mix of both.

Lorraine Manca

if your parent has a mental illness, especially a personality disorder, they might shape your identity like an impression of their illness into you, if that makes sense. then you have to really make an effort to undo that. sometimes abuse is really just a parent teaching their child what they've been taught, maladaptive and harmful coping mechanisms. i think its easier to look at it that way.
another thing, hypervigilance, i think its called, thats when you are extremely sensitive to reading facial expressions to predict the random outbursts and get out of dodge from your parents, if you had that kind of fun as a kid. that carries over to dealing with people later and definately links abuse to sa.

Last edited:

mrb

not really .. but growing up in a family were all you heard were rows between my mum and dad did take there toll on me .. once i was in bed i was only a kid , and heard my mum and dad having some massive row , so i went downstairs to say WILL YOU STOP arguing ...... the scary thing was when i got downstairs there was no one there , went upstairs opened the bed room door to mum and dads bed room and there they both were , fast asleep

iamthenra

My mother started beating me at the tender age of 5... My father who was a school teacher, saw my mother doing this, but chose to do nothing about it, except tell me to never tell anyone about it, because if I did, she would go to jail.... Nice parents eh? According to my therapists and psychiatrists, this is why I have SA... Maybe??? IDK what to think about it... All I know is I hate my mom for what she did to me, but at the same time I can't totally hate her either... She is still my mom...