We don't have much time here!!!

HexNoir

I'm talking about life, of course!

Okay, hang on a quick second. Let's say you're only going to live until you're 80. You're going to die on you're 80th birthday. Think about how old you are now, and do the math - how much longer do you have left here and how would you like to spend the rest of your life?

Now, try thinking about this - how would you live if you had only a year? How about a week? Day?

I thought this exercise up for those who have trouble taking risks sometimes. For those that feel like they wish they could throw at least a tad bit of caution to the wind every now and again. If it helps, even right it down - really give it a good thought. You might end up finding very useful and secretive things about yourself you never knew before...

redneck

Vulvectomy said:
I'm talking about life, of course!

Okay, hang on a quick second. Let's say you're only going to live until you're 80. You're going to die on you're 80th birthday. Think about how old you are now, and do the math - how much longer do you have left here and how would you like to spend the rest of your life?

Now, try thinking about this - how would you live if you had only a year? How about a week? Day?

I thought this exercise up for those who have trouble taking risks sometimes. For those that feel like they wish they could throw at least a tad bit of caution to the wind every now and again. If it helps, even right it down - really give it a good thought. You might end up finding very useful and secretive things about yourself you never knew before...

This is a good point, mate. I started thinking seriously about my life again when promising FC Sevilla player Antonio Puerta died last August during the La Liga football match. Aged just 24_ young, rich,healthy athelete with his whole life ahead of him. First I've cried when we held one minute silence for him on Nou Camp, but later I begun to wonder how it would be if I just started to making the most of my days. Do not give fuck that I look ridiculous, that someone is looking at me,that I was getting red and so on, because at the end of the day it does not really matter. Life is so fragile and you never know whan you pass away.I may die tomorrow by accident while runnning in the gym or something. So what is the point dwelling on the past, making anxious predictions for the future or being so self-concious?!. Carpe Diem boys and girls!

HexNoir

You guys would load up on drugs?! lol. If I had a day left, I'd just party it up. Get to know as many people as I can, just because I can. I'm working on adopting this motto for everyday life... so far, not so good ;)

EveM

Well sometimes I try to think that way but it never works because I know It's not true that I'm gonna die next week or whatever.

TAMPA-BAY

Eve said
Well sometimes I try to think that way but it never works because I know It's not true that I'm gonna die next week or whatever.

Well said eve. you took the words right out of my mouth. Ive tried that exircise many time but it doesnt work for me cause I have a dificult time beliveing it. I mean I know we dont know if tomorow is our last and stuff like that but we also dont know if we will live to be a 100 either.

The only way I can get my self to take risks is to temporary change or at least monotor my perfectionist thinking; but if that works for you maby it can also work for some of the others on here.

This thread reminds me of an Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT) exercise. In the exercise you imagine what will be written on your tombstone. You're supposed to imagine it in two ways:
1) as your life currently is
2) your anxiety disorders disappeared and you were able to live your life the way you wanted to

The exercise is supposed to help you define your values. In ACT we use our values to guide and motivate us.

Also, in ACT, we're supposed to kill ourselves daily. Of course, we are only supposed to kill our self-image. Our self-image is a product of all the experiences we have been through. It's a lot of baggage to carry around.

Doomed2Die

I would try my hardest to learn more about lifes little (and laughably big) secrets, not ours. I couldnt give a damn about pleasures, they only consume greater passions. Hypocritical for me maybe, but im on a knifepoint edge as it is.

It is easy of course to see how futile our little mindgames are, these chemical disfunctions and imbalances, so insignificant and yet so bloody huge. The thought line of 'deathtomorrowz' which while it 'can' happen its just not normal for a human to realise it. Example, those who go to war, they don't think they will die even though people are dying left-right and centre and the chances of dying are dramatically increased. The want for death also is not real, people do not want death no matter how much they scream it. People want change.

As for what I would do if I was going to die... well im doing it right now, agonizingly slow but progress none the less. This world could end tomorrow and I can't wait.

On another note no sleep makes me overdo simple replies :/.