Wanderlust fears

Jimii

Okay, to begin, let me start off with a tiny intro. I have an extreme fear of socializing, and because of this, I haven't been able to meet people. Im 25 years old, I stay to myself and just live.

Now to get down to brass tacks. Lately, ive been overwhelmed with wanderlust. I thought about just planning a trip and going away. This will be a solo trip. My dilemma is what will happen when I go? Will i be so anxious that I stay in my room all through the trip? Will people think im awkward because im on vacation alone and avoid me? Will the feeling of loneliness overwhelm me and I fall into a deep depression? Can anyone relate or have any tips?

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I can relate, but only in spirit, as I've never really traveled alone... and I'm 40 now.

My advice to you is that if you can, do it. Win, lose, or draw I think accumulating experiences is one of the most important things we can do when we're young. Like I said, HOW it goes isn't as important as the fact THAT it goes.

Even if you freak-out and come home on the second day, at least that's something, as opposed to just living, as you say.

You could even stagger things into short trips (time and resources permitting), going further and further away as you gain experience and confidence.

AtTheGates

Banned
just go for it. at some point I'm thinking about setting up a meet-up group for socially awkward dorks (like ME) who want to travel to exotic places but dont really have anyone to travel with.

Miserum

I'm with FountainandFairfax. Make a short trip, preferably somewhere relatively nearby, first and see how you handle it. Then plan accordingly.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
The first time I went travelling by myself in a foreign country, I stayed into my little hotel room for about 1 week, afraid that people would judge me and make fun of me.

After one week, I figured I had to do something so I went out into the world. I felt like everyone was judging me, laughing at me. The next day, I did it again, and the day after. During this 2 months trip, I felt stupid, clumsy, awkward, judged, I had deep moments of depression, I cried a couple of times, I felt alone and out of place. But there was also moments of joy and peace that made the whole thing worthwhile.

The next travel felt a little less awkward, and the next after even less, until I felt like I knew more what I was doing.

If you throw yourself in the water, if you don't die, at some point you're going to learn how to swim.

However, if you never travelled by yourself at all before, it is indeed a good idea to start with little trips in your own country.

Last edited:

worrywort

I occasionally go on trips alone. Sometimes I absolutely love it. It seems to really hit the spot and I feel like I could just keep travelling forever. But other times, maybe when I'm not really in the mood, but kinda force myself, I don't enjoy it so much, and occasionally I've found myself miles away from home and just wishing I was back home. But usually, during those times when I want to go home, I just start heading home, and as soon as I start heading home I start feeling better.

So that's usually my method. I travel until I feel like going home, and then I go home.

Ransfordrowe

I understand that worry about how you appear to others is part of the affects of our anxiety,but it is a good idea to try to worry less about what strangers think.Most of time they are not even thinking about you except in passing anyway.Lots of people walk around by themselves going to work,the shops etc so you will not stand out for that reason.Strangers will not know were your going or doing anyway.More and more so called normal people travel alone now a days.

milo2020

Go for it! And let us know how it all goes for you! You have a whole life ahead of you and now at our age is the best time to go, although any age is.

Be yourself, you can't be anyone else, I spent my school and college life trying to fit in, be like everyone else, worry or wonder about what everyone else thinks or say about me....That got me no where, right now I'm still training my mind to look after number one.....you should too!

Go out there, enjoy yourself, don't worry about being quiet and anxious, there are websites like SucceedSocially tbat can give you more tips and advice, anxiety will be there I'm sure!, don't fear it, usually it's never as bad as we think and it goes by itself without you realising.

What you are doing will be exposure therapy, and that is a good treatment for social anxiety.

Good luck!