University 2011

P+G

A lot has happened in my life in a year. I'm better and so much happier. I feel more confident about starting university this September but a big part of me is still the same as before. The things that I can't explain very well and seem to be unable to control. College was awful for me and I think that university could turn into the same thing. That's my fear. But I also feel like it could be really good.

I try to remember that I can't be the only person going to university and have some sort of anxiety or depression, even though it has seemed like that all through my education. But I really am no good at making friends and getting to know people. I don't want to be on my own again.

How does it work out?

I didn't make friends at university, I'll say that they were the ones who "make me" their friends. As nobody knows each other, people will be friendly. There's always an element of luck when they give you group assignments and who you end up with.

So as I don't know how friendly and assertive you could be, I can tell you from my experience that at least you can try to take the opportunities that other people give you.

SLikeSascha

I'm actually in a similiar situation as you are in ... and I happen to find it quite exciting which is very unusual for me.
I kind of like the fact that I can start with a clean slate.
Plus I'm not putting anymore pressure on myself.

LazyHermitCrab

Each class you have try to get interested in the subject so you can talk about it later. If you want to make friends you can ask someone to study with you and then do something else like go bowling afterwards. Since your happier it will be a lot easier, and if something doesn't go your way in the future don't let it completely effect your mood if you can

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I agree with Twiggle, it's important to start right away, I made mistakes of waiting and just leads to putting it off and off. You'll have fun, go in with an open mind, everyones nervous, you'll do great!

P+G

That's true about groups forming very quickly. Right now I'm feeling positive about it all. And I think I would make a good friend. :) Thank you to everyone who replied. I'll be at University of Westminster.

coyote

i just got back from visiting my girlfriend's daughter at college

man, what a life!

i wish i was in school :[

D

deleted #89

Do it man..........think about it let say ur University has 5000 students. Out of those 5000 students atleast 5 percent have a anxiety disorder. That's 250 students who can relate to you ....keep it up. Me too I want to go back to school...

razzle dazzle rose

I have also been wanting to go back to school...ever since I graduated from college five years ago! I didn't take full advantage of my time as a student. I keep missing the deadlines though...I am a huge procrastinator.

P+G

I'm just starting my third week at university. I haven't made friends and I don't expect to but I've been talking a little to a few people. Trying to look nice and be helpful. I say that I don't expect to make friends because I think that it takes a lot for that to happen. People here seem friendly though and I think it is enough right now for me to just be able to say a little and ask for help. I'm living in halls and even though I don't really talk to the other people here everyone seems to say hello. I feel much more independent. I admit that I haven't tried my hardest in getting to know everyone by going clubbing, drinking etc but I feel okay with that. It's very tiring sometimes but I don't feel so nervous and paranoid. University is not such a bad place. I feel I have much more freedom being here than at home.

lisalove22

Im so happy that you feel more comfortable getting out in the real life! I know that one key to get friends at the universities is to go out clubbing and drinking. Its kind of sad but thats how it is. As soon as you do that im sure you will get more friends :)

Last edited:

pinata

Not everyone likes drinking and clubbing. Personally I tried that sort of thing but I didn't make any friends from it. And I still don't think I have any close friends at uni though I talk to a couple of people. You can't even hear what people are saying in the clubs anyway! The person I talk to most from uni doesn't even drink, I just happened to meet her in my seminar. There is so much emphasis on meeting people when you first start going but the people I met during fresher's week don't even like me/talk to me. Just continue what you're doing and people will come to you. It happened to me, even if I don't particularly like the people I talk to haha. Good luck.