ummm...Cooking?

JCVA

Okay so I have this problem at home where the cabinets and storage are full of ingredients and some of them really need to be used fast. I don't do most of the groceries and whenever my parents buy stuff, they buy stuff in bulk. They forget to check if we have such items beforehand so we usually end up having too many of the same stuff.

I want to help out and reduce the waste so I want to try cooking for myself. The problem is Im not good at cooking. I don't want to search for recipes because I know I will be missing some ingredients and I don't want to have to buy and have unused products leftover.::eek::

Is there a website that recommends recipes base on the ingredients that you have? Reversing the process by entering the ingredients instead of looking for a meal. I don't care what recipes I end up since I like most foods anyway.

I know this sounds silly but anyone wanna help::p:

Phoenixx

Oh I know what you mean about having excess food in the cupboards. My house is like that too. My mom always buys canned goods and whatnot if it's on sale, even if we have them already. :rolleyes: I guess I can't totally complain though because with the excess stuff, I always find some way to make something out of it.

As far as ingredient searches go, I found this website: Allrecipes.com - recipes, menus, meal ideas, food, and cooking tips. At the top there's a search bar, and then there's ingredients you can click on. Then you just type in your ingredients (I think it's 4 at the most you can type in? Which I find rather strange...) and it'll come up with a list of recipes.

When it comes to cooking, you don't always need to follow a recipe down to the exact ingredient. Looking up substitutions for ingredients is great, or instead of looking them up, take a risk and just make a substitution yourself. ::p: When it comes to recipes, I usually just look at them for inspiration, and then create something myself from there. Very rarely do I ever follow a recipe exactly as it is, unless I'm baking (but that's a whole different thing for me). So go ahead, be creative! Happy cooking! :D

Niteowl

Just to add to Phoenixx's great contribution, another site for that sort of thing is www.supercook.com - it works in a very similar way. The recipe names link to external sites, though, so the recipe pages aren't always consistent in layout.

Good luck. :)

JCVA

Thank you thank you so much :D

I have been in Allrecipes.com and I never noticed the ingredients section before haha. Supercook looks good as well.

thanks for the suggestions :)