Trouble Speaking

In public situations, or even with someone privately, I notice that I have a very difficult time verbally articulating what I feel/think, no matter who it's to... even when asked about something plain and simple. When it's my turn to speak, my mind and body turn flustered and then suddenly I'm unsure/forgetful of my opinions at that moment, when everything is clear whenever I'm alone; I manage to mutter something random, kicking myself later. When writing, however, everything that I feel/think flows onto paper so naturally. Anyone else experience this difference in the two? I just feel really stupid when I can't... speak what I feel.

imashy1

I am the exact same way. Writing or typing something is so easy, my words flow freely with no disruptions....but as soon as I open my mouth around someone I sound like a total idiot. I stutter and stumble terribly. Even when I've thought about what I want to say for a minute or not think at all about it what I will say I mess it up.

And that is the time I am usually asked to repeat myself and I give a mumble and shuffle away. Yes I am socially stupid.

PS - Where did you get the avatar from? I need to get one to spruce up my name a bit, it is looking kinda bland. :)

Last edited:

Square_Eyes

I've always found it quite easy to to communicate thoughts, feelings and ideas through written work whereas my ability to do so verbally in the presence of other people is nothing short of atrocious. Lecturers have often expressed a shock after reading one of my written submissions for the first time because the content is so contrary to the way in which I communicate face to face.

shore_of_glass

I find it easy to communicate through writing too. I can't just find the words when I want to say something, but they come right up when I try to write.

SpLynx

Im the same... Do you people use any medicine? I am planning to visit a psychiatrist in the near future, I hope I can fix my anxiousness when I am around people.

philly2bits

I have trouble with both written and speaking. Speaking is much harder though, as it is instant and I have little time to think about how I am going to word an idea. The problem isn't so much coming up with an idea, but a way to word it so that others will understand. I tend to keep what I say very simple for that reason, since I don't think I could express a complete idea without it becoming nonsense to anyone else but me.

caissa825

This happens to me, it's like my brain will not communicate properly with my mouth and the signals get mixed up-- however every so often I will meet someone I can talk comfortably to-- but generally it is a painful disconnect and my mouth just doesn't seem to work properly. :confused: