Tired of being labeled too quiet

slimjim119

My whole life I always been hearing the same thing from people. Your too quiet. Its kind of rude for people to say that to your face. But they do. I'm not that quiet around family and friends, but around most everyone else I am.
I do try to start conversations with people I don't know that well. But after a while I run out of things too say and there is awkward silence,unless I find things in common with them. I guess sometimes it's better to be quiet. It keeps you out of trouble.

jamez

I know I'm quiet type, so I don't take offense when people point it out. It's refreshing sometimes to get another persons point of view.

I'm not offended by the fact people say that, it might actually be because they want you to say more and want to know you better. Well I hope so.

Kien

I'm fairly quite around everyone. :/ And yes it's not that nice to hear but it doesn't bother me that much. It's just that you don't know that to say when people ask you why you are so quite, since you don't know what to awnser. :<

4seasons

Word i'm the same way, im even quiet around large groups of people i know. Its gets even worse when i drink, which is weird. When someone says "you don't talk" or "your to quiet" it doesn't really offend me i just don't know how to react to it haha. One time at work this chick said "you dont talk much do you" and i just laughed and said "thats what everyone says" . That worked out pretty good.....i guess. Its actually happened a couple times at work.

LonelyGirl

I hate that so much! People are always saying things like "You're quiet aren't you", "you should talk more", "why don't you talk", "talk for once in your life!", "how's the quiet girl today?" It hurts because I don't feel like a quiet sort of person. I feel like I'm being reminded that I'm not the person I want to be.

Danfalc

Banned
A big ditto to pretty much what everyone else has said.Ive always been quite even before my anxiety problems kicked in.But yeah its frustrating as hell isnt it when someone goes... "god your quite arnt ya" or "you never talk much"... i feel like going no shit!i didnt know that!!... :lol: its like for some strange reason they dont think we realise were quite lol.. or because they have pointed it out were magicaly gonna go oh my god i am aint i? and suddenly become the soul of the party hehe.

Its like someone else said,i think its because they want us to speak more? maybe because it makes them feel uncomfortable? I do wish i could open up and not clam up as much as i do... and just conversate better.But at the same time im glad im quite sometimes specialy when i hear some of the constant crap which comes out of peoples mouths.

Lemans

It's very common, but maybe they won't say it again if some day humans develop telepathy! Maybe they'll say/think: You don't think too much, eh?

Richey

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh :?

does it really matter when you think about it, ive had days where i talk all day and days where i say barely a few sentences, i'm all over the shop like a rollercoaster ....

I personally do not prefer quiet people over chatty people or visa versa, i just understand in my head that people are different and it can depend on the environment your currently living in ...i dont have prejudice regarding those traits i can sit at the table and listen to other staff bitch and complain how certain people are "boring as batshit, didnt say a word to me all night" ..not worth knowing, and last time it happened i had to react to this girl ..and i just said "well, people often take time to come out of their shell ..and even then how hard did you really try to talk to them if your that worked up over it"? ..she just became tongue tied and a little put off by me questioning her ..so i think people, especailly outgoing arrogant types just like to talk themselves up by putting other people down ...or they simply dont know how to articulate the actual situation with any clarity, so its easier to bitch about it rather then admit they wanted to get to know this person after all why bring it up if it wasnt on her mind, she obiously wanted attention from this person ....

I just roll my eyes and become defensive when people say stuff like that ..

Its like i know people who do the same and yet they are outgoing and bitch about quiet people, yet the people they bitch about are far better at taking action and making something of their lives. ..

a few of these people at work are the sorts of people that go to coffee shops and gossip about everything ..no real deep conversation, just talking about celebrity gossip and nonsense (OK NOW IM CONTRADICTING MYSELF BY BITCHING about them ))

but i dont really care what they do in their spare time, just dont be so prejudice against people who arent as talkative as you might be ...

i realy dont get it, as it doesnt bother me in the slightest, perhaps because ive been known to be on both sides of the coin ..introvert and extrovert ...

because i know in certain times in my life ive shown differeing personality traits depending on who i'm spending my days around and where i am ...

for instance someone who is very chatty may live with family member or a friend that is an influence in that area or their lives are going so well that they are just happier ..so it can be contageous, or they have alot of positive influences as opposed to people who live with more passive reserved people ....

some places i resent being there, like where i work, i dont feel comfortable at all in that environment, your involved with people who are on different runs of the ladder, above you who have more power then you and can often talk down to you, but then there are quiet ones who are more polite and easy to talk to . ...

for me its more dependent on me reacting to my environment rather then me being in the moment and not caring whats around me ...

but i just feel very nervous at work ..and yet in various classes during university i felt free to say as i pleased, and other classes because i wasnt as confident in the subject being taught to me, i was very quiet in fear of making a fool of myself by not knowing the core subject and feeling too naive to speak up ...

Danfalc

Banned
Lemans said:
It's very common, but maybe they won't say it again if some day humans develop telepathy! Maybe they'll say/think: You don't think too much, eh?

Haha... :lol: i feel sorry for anyone who looks into my mind tho if we do become telepathic :wink:

Anyway i forgot to put on my last post... i really dont mind people mentioning how quite i am... or saying you dont talk much if its the first time ive met em or ive just been introduced to them.I actualy prefer people to bring it up rather than sit there thinking im weird or being rude in a way cos they dont know its because we struggle.And ya know i can explain and say i am a shy quite kinda person... its nothing personal its just how i am.Gives us a chance to explain its not because were being awkward.

Its just when peope point it out constantly and make an issue out of it ect :roll:

Edith

People used to say that to me all the time and I would get wicked pissed. Until I was talking to this guy at work. I wanted him to say more becuase I liked him and he was so quiet and shy, so without thinking I said, "Jesus Stephen, you're so quiet!" and then gasped and wished it were possible to punch myself in the face!! He smiled all shy and was like, "Well ... I dunno what to say sometimes." I wanted to die I was so embarassed.

But I only said it because I wanted him to talk to me and it was frustrating, also me doing all the talking made me kinda nervous, so it just slipped out.

I think that's why people say it; when you aren't talking with them it makes them uncomfotable. Saying, "you're so quiet" means: "I'm uncomfortable and nervous... please save me and say something." It's like a call for help sometimes.

Ever since I was on the other end, I've stopped getting annoyed when people say it to me :roll:

recluse

I hate it! What extroverted loud mouths don't realise is that not everyone can be the same, there's the extroverts and the introverts. Being quiet can be a quality to have for example we are tactfull and we don't gossip and we can keep secrets. The people who comment negatively on a persons quietness are judgemental.

recluse

Danfalc said:
A big ditto to pretty much what everyone else has said.Ive always been quite even before my anxiety problems kicked in.But yeah its frustrating as hell isnt it when someone goes... "god your quite arnt ya" or "you never talk much"... i feel like going no shit!i didnt know that!!... :lol: its like for some strange reason they dont think we realise were quite lol.. or because they have pointed it out were magicaly gonna go oh my god i am aint i? and suddenly become the soul of the party hehe.

Its like someone else said,i think its because they want us to speak more? maybe because it makes them feel uncomfortable? I do wish i could open up and not clam up as much as i do... and just conversate better.But at the same time im glad im quite sometimes specialy when i hear some of the constant crap which comes out of peoples mouths.

Yeah i know..Why do they feel the need to point out? It makes the person more uncomfortable doing that. It's the same when someone is overweight o'r something and someone tells them ''God you are fat!''

I know i am quiet but i feel ashamed when i realise that people notice even though i know that my quietness is obvious.

Argamemnon

Indeed. I don't understand; quiet people, like myself, never tell extroverted people that they are too loud. That's why I wonder why they feel the need to comment on my quietness. They seem to assume that all people are the same.. it really baffles me.

recluse

To me it sounds no different to racism in a sense, because they are pointing out on our difference.

hulkamaniak

Out of interest noone wants to be queit right? Because i get told that all the time, but I dont wanna be queit, i feel like a loud person, and generally am when comfortable around people (not too many I am though)