Things you do to cope

montejocarlo

I've had my fair share of ups and downs in the world of SA and depression. Somehow, I find it surprising how I managed to survive all those scary moments. It's like having a horrible nightmare where you know you're dreaming and you desperately want to wake-up but you just can't. Now you're looking back, and you can still feel it's horror, along with the fear that you might have the same dream again.

There were instances during my down times when I'm sane enough to observe myself. And I found that there are things which can help lighten up my mood, or at least lessen my agitation and anxiety, and I wanna share them with you:

1) Cleaning- When I'm feeling grumpy, taking shower eases my temper. Even manicure or pedicure proves therapeutic. Washing my hands helps too. Cleaning and organizing my room clears my head as well. I think, the idea is anchored on the sensation of cleanliness in addition to the fact that you are taking care of yourself.

I've read an article that discusses the psychological connection between feeling morally clean and physically clean. Here's the link if you wanna read: Washing Hands Makes Tough Choices Easier : Discovery News.

2) Sleeping early and waking up early- This creates the illusion that the day is long, and that there are so many things I can do and accomplish. I also find the cool morning air relaxing. It also makes me feel responsible and disciplined because a healthy and disciplined person would do the same.

3) Exercise- All my stored energy and tension, including all sorts of strong emotions are being released when I exercise. And again, the feeling that I'm taking care of myself.

4) Eating healthy food and drinking plenty of water- This gives me the sense of being fresh and clean from the inside.

5) Eating sweets, especially chocolates- Do I need to elaborate?

6) Taking a long break from the computer- I don't know how, but I'm sure that staying in front of to the computer for long hours adds tremendously to the problem.

7) Connecting with friends- In my case, the biggest part of distress is withdrawal (but I'm not sure if it's the cause, or a manifestation). Connecting takes the pain of isolation, and it tells me that I'm brave.

8) Venting- Whenever I'm down or angry, I would get a piece paper and write in total detail everything that I feel. Later, I would tear it to pieces and throw it into the trash telling myself that I release all negative emotions I'm holding onto. There are also times when I would write poems or essays and create art out of my negative emotions. I always find it therapeutic.

9) Turning-off thoughts altogether- This is probably something my instincts taught me. I do this when my thoughts and emotions are overwhelming. Utter stillness can come easily when you are too tired of aimless thinking. If you have a background in meditation, it can be done almost instantaneously.

What about you? What are your personal coping techniques? Share them here.

Let's spread the love people! ♥ :)

bcsr

Some of the things I do when I'm stressed.

1) I beat the stuffing out of my heavy punching bag. Literally. I've destroyed two of them. It's a huge stress reliever for me and a good workout.

2) Cooking. I enjoy cooking, I find it to be relaxing. Plus I know I'm eating good food.

3) Take my dogs for a walk, or just play fetch with them in the backyard.

4) Soak in a hot bath. Yep, I've even got some speakers in my bathroom that I connect my phone too for music.

5) I do drink occasionally to relax. Not the best idea, I know.

MikeyC

In my experience, sleep is a big one. I'm almost constantly lacking in sleep so more sleep does me good.

Shyangel

Sitting outside by myself relaxes me and makes me feel like less of a freak. In that moment I'm normal and enjoying something that doesn't judge me. In that moment I'm not doing anything wrong and I don't not fit in. Those moments also show me that I'm able to enjoy life. This is something I really need to be reminded of from time to time.

hidwell

I will go off in my car and explore an area I haven't been to for a while, a change of surrounds is often enough to temporarily forget my problems.

mikebird

Banned
Things you can cope with

I like this. Have to read thru it again, carefully

Woke up, feeling very teary after looking at Facebook, and seeing how everyone is always so happy. Everyone has good family, always smiling and laughing. All on holiday, and prosperous, whatever that means. Living alone is a bit tuff.

There are times when I touch ground zero, and in pools of tears and darkness. Rarely, I get just a little bit religious, but not really. I am anti-that. The only thing I ever say to a deity is: 'why is this happening to me?'

My first ever time to get like that were severe medical times as a kid, in a ward among children with leukaemia. That's coping skills in place.

The word 'coping' means to me: if you want to live, come with me

Last edited:

hidwell

My cats provide comfort for me, to stroke them and to listen to them purr I find it soothes my soul.

razzle dazzle rose

Taking long walks and painting my nails: those two things help calm me down. Earlier I went on a walk. In a bit I will do my nails.

2) Sleeping early and waking up early- This creates the illusion that the day is long, and that there are so many things I can do and accomplish. I also find the cool morning air relaxing. It also makes me feel responsible and disciplined because a healthy and disciplined person would do the same.

3) Exercise- All my stored energy and tension, including all sorts of strong emotions are being released when I exercise. And again, the feeling that I'm taking care of myself.

I need to work on these two. It would probably do wonders for my body and help me feel better overall. Taking care of ourselves is important.

DeadmanWalking

I cope with life's problems through my stories and music. Playing video games is also a big one. Sleep helps me calm down when I become distraught or angry. Talking about my problems and telling myself to shut up when I begin to rehash are also some techniques I employ.

mad2rix

* Riding a bicycle
* Basic exercise, or workout at the gym
* Internet surfing / PC games
* Help making dinner
* Cope with my cat
* Chores