The Poor Are Ruining MY Country!

Diend

That is a relatively severe level of SA compared to me. What do you want in life?

Section_31

Im sorry to say Canada is pretty much the same -.-

I feel your pain friend. while I don't have it quite nearly as severe, there are certain things I cant do.

Im sorry.

I would know, being one of them. I've got some nerve! I should be ashamed of myself! If I could spit on myself, I would! (Actually, I can, but I won't) There aren't enough exclamation points to adequately convey my rage at these gluttonous, lazy, do-nothing slobs like me!! Taking all these resources from those white collar wall street folks. Creating jobs with their ethical manipulation of money. The salt of America, they are! Meanwhile us unwashed masses destroyed the economy with our immoral hedge fund practices and... oh, wait. But us poor certainly put a bad stain on those fine, hard working politicians who would do what's right for this country if it wasn't for us slovenly impoverished moochers. The poor. Can't we just ship 'em off somewhere? Didn't Jesus say that the meek shall inherit our contempt? *Shakes fist at self*

Okay, so, here's the deal. I'm poor. I'm one of the 40 million on food stamps. Our state just recently changed the law so that able-bodied adults are required to work in order to receive said benefits. And to be honest, I don't think it's a completely horrible idea. However, yours truly has severe social anxiety. In the past ten years I've literally left my property about eleven or twelve times. Yes, you heard me right. I've looked for jobs (having limited education, no work experience, nor any family and friends working with which to get a foot in doesn't make it any easier) and I worry about supporting myself constantly; these aren't concerns that are anything new to me. The problem is social anxiety doesn't have a limp. Social anxiety doesn't require a wheelchair. It's an internal handicap that can't be proven by a doctor's note. Barring a psychiatrist. Even then, it's iffy. There's so many people gaming the disability program with bogus social anxiety claims that no one believes when someone ACTually suffers from it. And let's be honest, the government (republican controlled state government) is doing as much as it can to purge as many people from entitlement programs that a lot of us stand no chance. At any rate, in the next week or two I'll be going for an interview about my work program. I'm already fretting about it. I'll tell them all that I'm telling you (minus the sarcasm) but I don't know how well that will go. It's just soooooo damn frustrating to not be able to prove my condition. I think most people wouldn't believe how I've lived the past umpteen years. I just hope the person I talk to isn't a bleephead about it. Or apathetic. If they send me to something I can't do, despite what I told them, then I'll have to quit. And lose my benefits. Which we can barely live on, as is. I say all this not for pity, mind you, but to remind you all...stay educated on what your local government is doing. Today it's food stamps, for another person is health care, who knows what's next.

Stop beating yourself up. It ain't like that here in Tennessee. Don't even have to be able to pass a drug test to get federal aid. I know this because my mother has made a career of working at the Department of Human Services, the welfare office. If I have to pass a drug test to get a job and be forced to pay into the system... the recipients should also have to pass the same drug screening. This is in no way directed at you of course, but rather at the people around here that do everything BUT work all the while claiming to suffer from a handicapped condition or sickness that the real people suffering from real problems, such as yourself, can't usually get a thing. It disgusts me to no end. You genuinely need benefits from the state but they need to be sympathetic to your condition and figure out something else if they insist you must "earn" said benefits. If they won't try to work with you on this issue, may I suggest moving to another state if at all possible?

Xervello

Thank you all for the replies. :)

Stop beating yourself up. It ain't like that here in Tennessee. Don't even have to be able to pass a drug test to get federal aid. I know this because my mother has made a career of working at the Department of Human Services, the welfare office. If I have to pass a drug test to get a job and be forced to pay into the system... the recipients should also have to pass the same drug screening. This is in no way directed at you of course, but rather at the people around here that do everything BUT work all the while claiming to suffer from a handicapped condition or sickness that the real people suffering from real problems, such as yourself, can't usually get a thing. It disgusts me to no end. You genuinely need benefits from the state but they need to be sympathetic to your condition and figure out something else if they insist you must "earn" said benefits. If they won't try to work with you on this issue, may I suggest moving to another state if at all possible?

Agreed. And thanks for the suggestions. If it comes to it, maybe I'll move to a blue state, ha ha.

SotiCoto

Banned
Seems pretty rough.

But then the world is a rough place. Some folks get everything dished out to them on a silver platter... while countless others have to struggle just to make ends meet.

I don't suppose there is some sort of certificate of medical woe or suchlike you can get to prove you have issues... is there?
Sorta reminds me of when I got my Aspergers diagnosis. I wish I knew where the sheets of paper actually proving that had got to, but I think they've been lost with the number of times I've moved home. And I happen to be lucky in that there definitely was help to be had in my case...

I reckon you'll find a way... but it'll be painful getting there.

paperie

Good luck with your interview and I hope everything works out okay! There are definitely some ****s out there but there are also some people who will also be understanding about your anxiety.