the importance of a good smile

satstrn

one thing that screws me over time and time again is my nervous body language and shifty eye contact, especially around the people i find attractive. i dont think i can put into words how much i have missed out because of my inability to lock eyes with someone and smile at them. if having SA has taught me anything, its taught me that a good, confident smile can absolutely make it or break it for you in many situations. people have told me im kinda cute, etc, but i very very rarely get smiled at by a girl cuz i look so nervous. the missed opportunities man....i think that all of us can learn a ton by just looking in the mirror and practicing our smile. im working on it every day and once im confident in the mirror, ill practice on the webcam...then maybe ill be able to do it in person. for me, a smile from a cute girl can make my entire day and make me feel more confident and attractive....and surely it works both ways, right girls? but yeah, they say body language is much more important, and i think its something all of us SA sufferers can and should work on. i can imagine how empowering it would be if i could smile at people and make their day better. if only it were as easy as :)......::(:

smff73

Could not agree more, but easier said than done. I know from experience that my smiles come out more as grimaces! As I'm not naturally happy, so it's obviously forced.

I also know that my normal face, when I'm feeling neutral about things is a scowl, and that my mouth turns down at the sides naturally, probably through years of not smiling, so where do I go from here? Exercise the muscles back into a normal place?!?!?

dtrotter

Actually, smiling is so important when comes to socializing. But it is hard to smile when you are sad, so yeah. Like smff73 said, it is easier to be said than done.

drumev

I don't feel confortable even when smiling. In a few seconds it turns into a strange mug:D

mikestar

Banned
All my mirrors are broken so I cant practice anymore:rolleyes:

Its good to smile when u have something to smile about apart from that I prefer to keep my evil "im gonna kill you" face :D

user12053

Have you tried forcing a smile and it ends up looking like you're angry because your mouth tightens up? I'm just not good at smiling if there's nothing to smile for. It looks fake.

satstrn

there is stuff to smile for!! smile for hope, for being alive, for beauty...wow that sounds cheesy...but i think its true that others are repelled by us because we are stuck in our own heads and like ya said have nothing to smile for or arent happy. if we can put on even a fake smile that looks real i bet most of us see some serious results...ill tell ya how it goes for me im hopin to smile at 1 girl tomorrow as my goal

Social_Monstrosity

I've also been called cute on a few occasions by girls online (never in real life) and that I should smile more..

Except I HATE my smile (I have braces) And I feel very uncomfortable showing a huge smile..

Kinetik

One thing I've noticed is that I can't smile, I can only smirk. Several of my now ex-girlfriends have told me I look intimidating, which I think is true, but then I'm 6'5'' so I suppose that's the main reason. It's kind of strange, because underneath that I'm quite soft-spoken and unobtrusive. Either way, I can't seem to look happy or approachable for the life of me.