The "I'm social phobic so deal with it" thread...

sketchy24

You know this is a nice place I think... lots of people you can relate to in ways you never thought anyone would possibly be able to understand.

The thing is, the negativity and whining on these boards is kind of a set back IMO. Instead of encouraging people to overcome SA or be able to live life with SA its a bunch of "I'm lonely" "Life sucks" "Everyone hates me" "Cant talk on phones" etc etc. Then the replies are just "I know exactly what you mean" "I completely relate" "Ya life sucks" etc etc. I think some people try and recommend books or to recommend seeing a therapist or something but really... I know most of us feel like lazy blobs with no direction in life and I'm guessing most of us are never gonna muster up the motivation to go see a therapist or pick up a self help book. And then even then that takes a lot of work on the patients part to make it work. Nothing magical happens. I think if someone had someone who was completely supportive, understanding etc, the social phobic would try much harder to get better and work at it. They have a goal, they have encouragement etc and it gets them motivated a bit.

I'm an "artist". I like to sketch really... but do I draw a lot? Nope. I see no purpose in it, I have no motivation to do it. Who am I gonna show it too? What would be the benefit? It would really be wasting time as there are more important things I could be doing in that time. Same with reading the Bible. I'm a Christian but my walk with God sucks. No motivation to read the bible, no one to talk stuff over with, and too much I expect a magical genie to grant all my wishes so I just put it on the back burner. Anyway I'm sure many here can relate in their own ways. I'm guessing most lack motivation and drive for much of anything. Getting over SA completely being one of them. Sure we want it gone but over night, no work involved.

So I thought I would create this thread :D Basically... this is a NON-negative thread. Post how you faced your SA and did whatever anyway. Or post what you plan to do tomorrow that challenges your SA... you'll have it written down, we'll all be waiting for you to get back and tell us how it went (you don't wanna come back and say you failed do you?). If you like to write, draw, make music etc but really don't find any motivation to do it cause you don't think anyone will care... show it off here. And maybe get ideas how to find ways to use your talents or interests to interact with others IRL. Actually you don't even need to post it in this thread. I'm just trying to encourage more positive posts over the boards in general.

Maybe even have just fun forum contests... getting a photo of you do something extremely crazy and in the face of SA and everyone just votes who was the most extreme. I don't know just throwing ideas out.

Me, I'm gonna take my drivers test... again.. just the written part... I've been putting it off for ages since I failed the actual driving test 3 times (mostly cause I was just uber nervous). I don't have any excuses to keep putting it off, just no motivation and well... I just hate going out alone anyway. So tomorrow.. well tuesday (tomorrow I go into work early), I'm gonna walk down and take the written part. Then I can at least get my permit again and drive my mom around or something. Ya I'm gonna go slow. There are a lot of other stuff I'd like to do and work at change but I really need to pick my lazy ass up and get my license. It would help with the rest too...

I also hate the way I look so I'm gonna be brave and post my picture in the picture thread. If I can start just accepting thats the way I am and appreciate the things that make me unique, maybe I won't be so self conscious. But my new computer has a camera built in so... no excuse there...

So anyone else have any small goals or such they haven't gotten around to because they're too afraid/self concious or whatever cause of SA and need a bit of motivation? Post it. Anything thing to report how you were a little better today at overcoming SA then yesterday? Post it... you'll be able to look back when you're down and see how far you've come. Thoughts? Comments? Ideas? Just no negative crap polluting this thread. Leave the "whine" at the door. There are 100 other threads for that :D

Carol

Thanks for starting this thread! I agree, it's nice to think positive.

I've been facing my SA a lot lately. Last week was great because I taught a VBS (Vacation Bible School) class and it went really well. I had a great assistant who was very encouraging, and I'd never met her prior to our first VBS meeting. The kids in my class were great. And while I still had some moments where I felt like I had said or done something stupid, I didn't spend a lot of time dwelling on it or worrying about what other people thought. It was a great week!

I applied for several jobs last week which is a big step for me. I've been so scared to get a job but I have finally worked up the courage and I am ready to get one. A small goal for me is to get my college ID and books this week. I'm really nervous about having my picture taken and just being out in public where people can see me, but I'm going to force myself to do it. A big goal for me is to just get through my first semester of college which starts in a couple of weeks.

strawberrybrunette

I've organised to go to the cinema on wednesday with a couple of friends - a massively big deal to me, because i hardly ever brave the cinema. It's like a social phobics hell! Anyway, i hope i enjoy it - whatever it is i go to see. Haven't decided yet.

By the way, this is a great thread - i love the contest idea. This is a really positive thing! We shouldn't wallow here (hippocritical of me, i know - most my posts are whiny ones), but we should try and encourage each other and ourselves to get out there.

FreedomFighter

hi sketchy , great post , tomorrow im starting to learn buteyko breathing retraining and just tonight i started taking cipramil medication , ive been putting of my buteyko for way too long so tomorrow ill start it , peace , Robbie :idea:

alex29

i hung out with friends twice during the weekend and once this morning. i organized something for thursday and im looking forward to it :)

In a little less than a month, I'll be a junior in high school. I'm actually excited for school to begin. Number one reason, I'm in a programming class, so as little as I'm actually going to LEARN, I'll have plenty of opertunity to teach others, which is.... good? Number two reason, I think over this summer, I've found a whole new mindset to put myself in, and I think all the most obvious symptoms of my SA are gone. And there are a few other reasons I'm excited, but I can't seem to remember them...

sketchy24

strawberrybrunette said:
I've organised to go to the cinema on wednesday with a couple of friends - a massively big deal to me, because i hardly ever brave the cinema. It's like a social phobics hell! Anyway, i hope i enjoy it - whatever it is i go to see. Haven't decided yet.

By the way, this is a great thread - i love the contest idea. This is a really positive thing! We shouldn't wallow here (hippocritical of me, i know - most my posts are whiny ones), but we should try and encourage each other and ourselves to get out there.

Exactly... I admit I've been a bit whiny in the past but you can whine or do something about. Anyway good luck with the movies. I hope you have fun...

Anyway, gonna take that test when I get up tomorrow. Already wanted to put it off again but that would be really bad posting this thread and then not going through with it. Its really not that bad just its always easier to put it off till the next day and not have to deal with it all.

CK23

I watch videos on Youtube and surf on the net in the work place when i am free... at home i kiss t.v shows from head to foot and sob on their shoulders... :cry: