Thanks Giving (marginally related to Thanksgiving)

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Okay, 'tis the season to be thankful. And crap.

Numerous studies have shown that being grateful/thankful for what you have sets off chemical changes in your brain that improve your happiness.

I was reminded of this at Walmart today by this ridiculously happy woman saying what a fantastic day it was and she was grateful to the Lord for each day and so on and so on.

I can't believe in what she believes, but honestly--she's got a good strategy going. Without knowing the science of it, she's pursuing the chemicals of happiness.

I know the science of it. I just have a difficult time figuring out how to feel grateful and thankful for the good things that I have--even though I know I do have good things.

Anyone got any ideas on how to do that?

:thinking:

Oh, and here's a link about it: The Science of Thankfulness - ABC News

Hoppy

I am at the moment busy with a mindfulness and gratitude thing. I have also taught myself to have more kind thoughts of people.

I have to say it works, but it is difficult to remember to do it on the dark days.

And it takes a long time to get into the habit, think months, not weeks.

I do not do anything grandiose like shouting it is a great day, but just saying silently to myself I am grateful for the food or something silly like that is enough to make a bad situation slightly better.

I am grateful that I have learned how to make dark days a little better.