Temporarily Living at my Uncle's House

Etbow23

So since Tuesday my mom, my boyfriend, our two dogs and one cat and I have been living at my uncle's house. hopefully my boyfriend and I will be moving soon to Texas though. Not sure when exactly.

I feel very uncomfortable living at my uncle's house. My boyfriend and I, plus all three of our pets, are staying on the covered porch out back. It's not really that much space for so many pets but it's all right. My uncle and his friend (who is staying here as well) work all day on a construction project out back (like a guest house that my mom and her boyfriend may rent for awhile) because apparently they don't have to work (my uncle appears to be semi rich).

I get this feeling my uncle doesn't like me because for a long time I was really messed up and kind of nasty to everyone. I was going through a lot of things a couple years ago. Now I'm just shy and sometimes overreact to things. Although his friend is nice, I don't really like him because he would always make these mean cat jokes (I love cats) and yesterday night, my mom brought up his overachieving son who works on degrees in synthetic biology. I had an interest in conservation biology (which is why she mentioned it), although I'm majoring in English, which my mom never mentions.

I said that although it's a good field, I don't really agree with it because I'm opposed to altering dna and cloning, etc. And he starts saying like , "really, so you're opposed to organisms that clean up oil spills? And when you get sick, medicine that helps you get better? My son's working on a cancer treatment,...blah blah"...

And I was trying to say no, it's just I don't agree with modifying genes..and he says "that's a bull**** argument" because I don't have any data, I'm just saying something I heard...And I'm like, dude I'm not discussing I was just expressing an opinion? And he just keeps talking over me. And my mom backs him up, saying to me that even I like to have facts and data about things. Yeah! I had like one minute to express any opinion before he started interrupting me! I guess I was being mean because I inadvertently insulted his son?

Anyways, they annoy me. I don't feel comfortable here. Yesterday my uncle lectured my boyfriend because someone (presumably me) left the microwave dirty. All day long (and sometimes in the night) the loud air compressor goes off on our porch, which scares my cat a lot. I don't feel comfortable making food in the kitchen.

I just notice how they're really friendly with my boyfriend, and my uncle's friend loves talking with him in Spanish, but they just seem to not like me. It's hard for me to be open with people, because I feel shy. The other night they were listening to a movie at like full surround sound volume on the other side of the wall from the porch, like thunder, while I was trying to sleep after working all day. I had a bad headache. I got frustrated and complained to my mother, and I just hope they didn't hear.

I really don't know what to do. I just want to go to Texas already and be away from these people. I'm appreciative that he's letting us stay here, but this is a very uncomfortable situation for me. :(

Last edited:

Srijita52

I understand. It must be very uncomfortable for you. I feel exactly same when I visit my aunt's place, very annoying. I hope you can move to Texas soon.

coyote

hospitality has always been something that many people don't seem to know how to do

they made a big point of that in the bible - whole villages were destroyed because someone failed to be a good host to strangers

2000 years later and people still don't have the courtesy to turn down the TV when they have a guest sleeping in the next room

MikeyC

Sounds rough. How long realistically until you can move out? Until then, hopefully you can get your voice heard and actually have the others be courteous, but that looks unlikely. ::(: Stay strong, Etbow. Remember there's an end in sight.

Etbow23

I think I will [hopefully] be moving in a month. But it's difficult with my mom. Her boyfriend had set up a beach trip in mid-June, so I think I'll quit my job before then then focus on moving. But my mom says she has all this "stuff" going on end of June-early July. Oh well. I'm trying to convince her I can just move most of our stuff with my boyfriend without her!

And my uncle and his friend are nice people, don't get me wrong. But they can be a bit ...I don't know. But especially when you're living with anxiety, everything is a big deal :/

I just like to have my own place to stay, be in my comfort zone ..

MikeyC

With anxiety, having your own space is very important. Hopefully you can get that within a month, Etbow. You admit they're nice people, but it still doesn't help you out too much.

Etbow23

Yeah hopefully. Now his annoying kids r here for the weekend which makes me uncomfortable. Hes all into them and i guess bc i never had a dad it makes me jealous. Also my mom is kind of a bitch. Wenever they have something to say everyone listens and encourages them but when i do no one listens and im always wrong or being stupid. And my uncles the type that dominates every freaking table conversation. I just sometimes find him annoying. I wanna get out of here :-(

Srijita52

Yeah hopefully. Now his annoying kids r here for the weekend which makes me uncomfortable. Hes all into them and i guess bc i never had a dad it makes me jealous. Also my mom is kind of a bitch. Wenever they have something to say everyone listens and encourages them but when i do no one listens and im always wrong or being stupid. And my uncles the type that dominates every freaking table conversation. I just sometimes find him annoying. I wanna get out of here :-(

It does seem like a pretty annoying atmosphere for you. I hope you can move out of there soon.

bcsr

Sorry to hear that, sounds rough. Where about in Texas are you two moving to? :)

psych

First of all, let me say, I really feel bad reading about your situation, & thinking about how awful that must be. I hope the situation gets resolved and you guys can move on soon.

If you don't get along with this man (& his kin), & you feel he doesn't like you.... Why get into conversations with him at all..? I mean beyond the very basic household matters...
Even if your Mother is involved in the talking... Limit it to being polite. You'll have all the time in the world to talk to your Mom after you guys can afford to move on from there.
I know that's sounds kind of tough to pull off, but I'm guessing your Mother needs this to work, that for now, you all do.
Just bide your time, keep it polite, 'til you can leave.

I moved in with my Aunt when I transitioned from the state I used to live in to this state.
She failed to tell me her marriage was falling apart... Then she tried to draw me into her arguments with these people.
Like a dumbass, I got sucked in, & guess who got burned? I did... Then later, so did my Aunt.
So, I am coming from some experience on this. Had I just kept my big mouth shut, I might not have gotten tossed out unexpectedly in the middle of winter that year.

I wish you guys all the best! I hope you are able to move on sooner, rather than later.

bcsr

Austin. Where in Texas do u live?

Wish i could just be a normal person.:-(

I'm about 4 hours from Austin in Tyler, Tx. I love Austin, though. I have quite a few friends who have moved there. I'm planning on doing the same in the near future (year or two) myself.

Etbow23

First of all, let me say, I really feel bad reading about your situation, & thinking about how awful that must be. I hope the situation gets resolved and you guys can move on soon.

If you don't get along with this man (& his kin), & you feel he doesn't like you.... Why get into conversations with him at all..? I mean beyond the very basic household matters...
Even if your Mother is involved in the talking... Limit it to being polite. You'll have all the time in the world to talk to your Mom after you guys can afford to move on from there.
I know that's sounds kind of tough to pull off, but I'm guessing your Mother needs this to work, that for now, you all do.
Just bide your time, keep it polite, 'til you can leave.

I moved in with my Aunt when I transitioned from the state I used to live in to this state.
She failed to tell me her marriage was falling apart... Then she tried to draw me into her arguments with these people.
Like a dumbass, I got sucked in, & guess who got burned? I did... Then later, so did my Aunt.
So, I am coming from some experience on this. Had I just kept my big mouth shut, I might not have gotten tossed out unexpectedly in the middle of winter that year.

I wish you guys all the best! I hope you are able to move on sooner, rather than later.

Thanks :) Yeah it can be tough living with relatives. I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. I guess it's best to just be nice and courteous, but stay out of things I don't agree with.

I'm about 4 hours from Austin in Tyler, Tx. I love Austin, though. I have quite a few friends who have moved there. I'm planning on doing the same in the near future (year or two) myself.

Oh cool..yeah I love Austin. It's a very happening town. I'm so ready to get out of the DC area, it's so stuffy here. Well, maybe we can meet up...somewhere down the road.

O'Killian

Huh, with any luck I'll be moving to San Marcos in the Fall (read: for college). Main reason I wanted to go there was the proximity to Austin (without actually being in Austin), since that's the best place in Texas for the industry I'd like to work in.

I've actually always considered Austin to be the 'weird' part of Texas, but that's more based on reputation than having lived there. I've only been once, when I was far too small to give that kind of thing much thought. Either way, it seems like it should be a welcome change of pace for you.

Etbow23

Huh, with any luck I'll be moving to San Marcos in the Fall (read: for college). Main reason I wanted to go there was the proximity to Austin (without actually being in Austin), since that's the best place in Texas for the industry I'd like to work in.

I've actually always considered Austin to be the 'weird' part of Texas, but that's more based on reputation than having lived there. I've only been once, when I was far too small to give that kind of thing much thought. Either way, it seems like it should be a welcome change of pace for you.

Thanks well san marcos is really close to Austin!

anyways it was awkward, my uncle comes in and asks me, whenever i get the chance to clean the bathrooms, vacuum, or pick some chore...i just vacuumed the other day and no one said anything.

i dont like him. this morning hes trying to get into the cabinet under the sink (where i was standing) and is like scuse me and gently pushes me aside. wtf?

i dont want to be here anymore.