Telling Friends about Social Anxiety?

ZOMG my first thread…so
Basically I just wanted to ask you guys a question. Have you ever told any of your friends, teachers or just really anyone outside your family about your SA? I’ve just been wanting to have someone to talk about my problems and such. I don’t have many close friends, but I’m just wondering how people would react if I told them…I fear they might start to avoid me , act different around me or just think I’m weak. It would just be awesome to meet a stranger and talk, just so I would not see them again to judge me. Anyways, did you find telling people in real life help you out at all? What was the reaction like?

hoddesdon

It is difficult, but you would be glad you did in most cases (like going to the dentist?). Since it is classed as a disability, you have to tell the other party first if you want to enforce the law against discrimination.

Noca

Banned
Ive told my therapist, my doctors, my parents, my online friends, and my best friend, thats about it. I have since got on disability cause of it and my life has improved.

im still have reluctant state of mind where i will be judged. Only in a perfect world would we all be accepted as "normal" unfortunately we live in a very judgemental society. That doesnt mean we cant break free and hit the more artsy clubs and find all kinds of nutty people just like ourselves. I am a bit of a hyppocrit because I mustered up the courage on my wife and I first date and she just said that classic "well you clearly have some issues but dont we all. It blossomed from there and were inseparable. There are many kind,intelligent, ultrasensitive people out there. Just takes that leap of faith I guess. Im mean really, look how many assholes hook up in the world :I

I have never been game enough to tell anyone outside of my parents and sister. I know some people have a problem relating to people with a mental health isssue. There is the chance of someone you tell then changing their behaviour towards you in a negative way:(

Shift

The only person I've told is my best friend. He's great and is forcing me to get help for it (which is annoying, but good for me because I'd never go get help on my own). He thinks that I should tell my two other friends because he said they'd be happy for me (for getting help, not having social anxiety), but I don't want to because I'm afraid of them treating me differently.

johnny 85

i actually told 1 of my best friends during the week and he was ok with it. he new something was nt right. it was a relief gettin it off my chest. only he and my sister know !! i dont think id be able to tell all my friends though or my parents !

da_illest101

I told my female best friend, It didn't change one damn thing. she still talks to me like I never told her but she aknowledge the fact that I have it and still support me. I don't see the point to tell this to my best friend since he isn't the most social guy either. He probably tell me that i'm weak (as a joke) and move on about it.

I don't know if I trust anyone else enough to tell them

telling people about my S.A didnt get me anywhere.
since i told this one person about it he just says bullshit like "theres nothing wrong with you.its all in your head and stop being like that!" like theres a ****in switch you can just turn it off,
But hes just one of the most closed/simple minded people out there.

BlaiseBLATES

Just about my whole school and community knows but that's only because I had to leave school, and whenever I was in I would keep leaving my classroom so people thought I was pregnant so I had to stop the rumors.
But I'm really glad I came out about my social anxiety because I haven't had anyone tease me about it, and I found that because people knew I could tell them how to help when I was having an anxiety attack and go out with them feeling safe. Even someone I near enough hated helped me through a anxiety attack the other week because they were the only person around.
I'd say keep it between people you go around with(or used to) and it will keep you a lot safer and help keep a clear head from your anxiety.

Emily_G

Within the passed year, I've decided to be more open and tell people about my stuttering. But mostly, I have hubby do it...I think mostly so they don't feel so akward and can ask questions if they want.

Honda

Only my family... Never will tell friends about my weaknesses... Big mistake as letting your guards down to people who you dont fully trust or properly know is a big mistake in life..

gsmax5

ZOMG my first thread…so
Basically I just wanted to ask you guys a question. Have you ever told any of your friends, teachers or just really anyone outside your family about your SA? I’ve just been wanting to have someone to talk about my problems and such. I don’t have many close friends, but I’m just wondering how people would react if I told them…I fear they might start to avoid me , act different around me or just think I’m weak. It would just be awesome to meet a stranger and talk, just so I would not see them again to judge me. Anyways, did you find telling people in real life help you out at all? What was the reaction like?

Hmmm.... I'm pretty sure they all know about my social anxiety without me telling them; I'm the shyest person I know.

If I was you though, I probably wouldn't tell them because I would be too shy. LOL

Weirdo

I never told anyone, they just think I'm a loner. Which I am but I'd also like to be somewhat sociable when I want to so I could make at least some friends. Damn it's so hard for me to make friends..it takes freaking YEARS, god that's so pathetic. Normal people can become friends within 5 minutes.

Honda

^ you need to be with someone to ease the pain... Dont u have at least a couple of old friends u could talk to?

Weirdo

I do have some friends. I said it takes me years to make friends, it's slow but at least it's something. I attended grammar school for 8 years, so I managed to make some friends there, they even asked me to hang out with them a couple weeks back but I said there will be another opportunity to meet even though I could have gone at that time. But they wanted to go to a nightclub, that's insane! You know there's this social butterfly girl who came up with the idea then there are 2 introverted guys and I was surprised that those two were up to going to that place. In the end nobody went there because I didn't want to, even though I said that they should go without me and then tell me how it was :p