Talking on the phone

Felgen

I've been here for more than a year, but I've never made a rant thread before, so here goes nothing:

First of all, I hate talking on the phone. Even when I like the person I'm talking to, the thought of saying something into a candybar shaped piece of plastic (that a person I can't see is supposed to hear) is disturbing. Second, I have no idea when the person is finished talking and it's my turn to speak. Ankward pauses will therefore happen a lot when I talk on the phone.

Does anyone else hate talking on the phone?

telemarketers_from_hell.jpg

bigrob

*raises hand*

I get a mild anxiety just hearing a phone ring.

If I need to make a call I often find other things to do first, no matter how mundane, as an excuse to put it off.

It takes me about three weeks from the time I decide to call the Dr for an appointment until the time I actually call.

And I have much the same issues as you when I am on the phone....I have a hard time judging when to talk. Conversations with me consist of alternating awkward pauses with interruptions.

Ugh...I hate it. I avoid even talking to my parents on the phone because it's just so damn awkward.

Thank goodness for email, I'd be a total hermit without it.

Tiercel

I hate the telephone. And that's one of the many reasons I don't have a cell phone. I don't remember the last time I actually called someone. Chances are that my last outgoing call was for a pickup order at the local pizza place.

As far as answering one goes, I don't do that either if I can get away with it.

I actually just remembered something I haven't thought of in years. After seventh grade there was a girl I was sort of interested in, but she was a year behind me. I didn't really know her, but I figured she might be listed in the phone book. So I looked up her last name and called all three of the listed numbers. I didn't really know what I would have said if any of them worked, but I think that's probably the last time I tried to get a girl's phone number.

If I were still half as brave.... :rolleyes:

spect01

I used to but I got out of it. But if it's a person I don't know I usually shy away.

omnighost

Yay! A rant thread. I really hate talking on the phone. I dread it when it rings and half the time I just let it go to voice mail. I have actually thrown the phone through a wall before because I got so annoyed with it ringing. Awkward pauses are part of my daily life I don't need them on the phone. So here's what I do. If the phone rings unless I really really want to talk to that person it goes to voice mail. Everyone who knows me knows to leave a voice mail then I will decide whether I want to force myself to leave, ignore it or if it is really important return the call.