Taking The Easy Way Out....

xSleepy

well ive been looking for a job for a while now and what i really want is a stay at home job, or a job that doesnt envolve too much human interaction.... but that just makes me wonder...

If I did get a job like that, I would feel like im taking the easy way out... kinda.

I feel the same way about getting help. Or trying to get disabillity money for my SP.

sorry, im kinda bad at explaining things sometimes... but you get the idea, yeah? Do you guys feel like your taking the easy way out sometimes? Like maybe you should challenge yourself more even though you would really rather not?

Angel_Of_Death

Well...that's basically the choice we've gotta make as social phobics.

Either we choose to face our fears and try to beat them (at the risk of failing)
Or we can just hide, take the easy way out...at the risk of being miserable for the rest of our lives.

Doomed2Die

Sure, it's the easy way out... if your a perfectionist. Otherwise it's just hard truth, if you cannot do these things so be it. I find getting guility over things like this is caused by pressure from other people who are themselves forcing their ideals on others and could not care too much about what we really want/need as a job.

It's just the way society is designed, to encourage students to squeeze as much work effort into the world as possible. "Because we would want to".

chris420

I doubt it'd be very satisfying ultimately, you can't know what's out there if you were to face your fears. You'd be limiting yourself a whole lot.

Life should be unpredictable IMO, avoidance has only ever made me miserable :?

Coper

SleepingBeauty said:
well ive been looking for a job for a while now and what i really want is a stay at home job, or a job that doesnt envolve too much human interaction.... but that just makes me wonder...

If I did get a job like that, I would feel like im taking the easy way out... kinda.

I feel the same way about getting help. Or trying to get disabillity money for my SP.

sorry, im kinda bad at explaining things sometimes... but you get the idea, yeah? Do you guys feel like your taking the easy way out sometimes? Like maybe you should challenge yourself more even though you would really rather not?

I felt this way a lot when I was dealing with depression in my late teens/early 20s. I would think "why do I deserve to get all this therapy, to go to a special school, to be supported by my dad etc., when there are so many people out there who have far worse problems than me and don't get much help." I've recovered a lot since then, and now I'm much more independent, and I don't feel like such a sponge anymore. Still, there is a trade-off to independence. I certainly have more self-respect, but I also feel more vulnerable to life's vicissitudes. Having to take care of my own problems is stressful.

I don't think there's any reason to feel like you're being too easy on yourself if you get a job that doesn't involve too much social interaction. If an employer is willing to pay someone to do such work, then presumably someone ought to do it, and why shouldn't it be someone like you? That would make more sense economically that putting you in a highly social job and putting a very social person in a solitary job.

On the other hand, if you can't find a job that's easy on your SP, then maybe it would be taking the easy way out to not work at all, and instead rely on others to support you. It depends on what you're capable of, and you can't know your limitations for sure until you test yourself.

KevinMF

SleepingBeauty said:

i feel guilty when i stay inside due to fear....because i know that whenever i tough it out i end up being fine anyways!

spawn

a big part of getting rid of anxiety is exposure. staying at home will make you more anxious. do this; right down all the places and situations that make you anxious. then beside them rank them from one to to 100 percent. 1 percent being you feel low anxiety and 100 the most. start with the ones that a low and work your way up. conquer smaller things then go one step higher. it will bring your anxiety level down.

slimjim119

I admit I'm guilty of taking the easy way out alot of situations. I am working on changing that. Alot of exposure does help. Staying home too much will kill your motivation.

dan_e

I have an idea. So you'll have a steady cash flow, try to get a job where you don't have to deal with customers/people too much. Then, maybe get a 2nd part time job that is social and puts you out there. Like a store or something like that. This way you'll still have your steady job and who cares if the more social part time job doesn't work out. You can try different ones and meet more people and maybe something will click. Good luck!

beethoven8

I work from home as a piano teacher. Am quite happy after years of proving my ability. Though recently due to problems with my husband's job I have lost my confidence again. The problem is the idea is there inyour head that your aren't good enough. How do you ever overcome this permanently?