Support

April72

How do you cope with avoidant?
Therapy, meds, physical exercise, relaxation, friends, family, self-help books...or all together.

Express yourself!:)

nicole1

I don't deal with it. I fold into it most times. Therapists feel that I should just not do it. *huge eye roll here* I don't fight it too much, but in a way I think it's a way for me to cope with certain situations. In others, I'm able to not flee so easily. I use to beat myself up but now...not so much.

Family and friends are not really understanding.

To handle it properly and to avoid the desire to avoid, I rely on advanced notice and preparation. Things that surprise me influence whether I will or won't avoid it.

Stress also plays a major point. So I try to make the situation better by smiling through it or doing something I enjoy at the end of the stressful event.

April72

Nicole, I do the preparation thing as well. I find very difficult to handle new situations.
Well, this is a constant fight and I, like you, don't always find the strenght to fight.

nicole1

Don't. Give yourself some slack. Forgive yourself. And sometimes, consciously avoid. When I did this, I no longer felt...guilt. I developed a system. I think living with this stuff, you have to come up with your own way of living. We're simply different. Also, are you an introvert? I figured that out about myself much later. Sometimes, down time and preparations are your best friend. Constantly fighting yourself makes the situation worse and in the long run, you will keep feeling bad.

April72

I also have read lots of self-help books. Let's see. They touch assertiviness, perfectionism, social skills, non verbal communication, depression...well, I think I read them in the right time because I needed do it. I learnt a lot.