Subconscious Sabotage

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Maybe a thread like this was made already, I don't know. Essentially, when you, in the moment, automatically do something without thinking that perpetuates and reinforces your SA or other bad habits.

Feel free to post your own experiences, or let this die. Or just let me rant a recent expereince. =)

The other day, at school, after my cinematography class, walking and talking with a gal. Now, I don't really have a silly crush or anything or vice versa and it's not about that, but she is cool and stuff. She said she was getting lunch and when my next class was.

I respond immediately without thinking, "Yeah class in an hour. I'll probably head up to the study center". Her: "Okay. Bye" (essentially). We part ways.

*cue whistle of a mortar round* Me... walking away... entering door *BAM! Mortar round of wth you did just do MOMENT HITS ME IN FACE*

I stop and say to myself ("wait wtf why'd you just do that, are you deficient, why'd you say that you have a fraking hour and are walking to the study center and not with her to lunch!) Meh.

That's subconscious sabotage. So ingrained into behavior you make a reaction that placates to avoidance, flight, etc. without AT FIRST consciously realizing it. An SA Ninja trying to sabotage your efforts! Must be stopped.

Must be more aware and write those moments down so can be consciously aware of these things.

hoddesdon

You are absolutely right. Since you are absolutely right, it would be a pity were this thread to die.

I suppose the first step in overcoming this problem is to be aware of it. Even if you can not stop yourself doing it in the moment, recognising that it is SA speaking and not you may allow remedial action. Perhaps you could have corrected yourself and said something like "but now that you mention lunch, I am feeling a bit hungry myself" (?)

HeadFace

Ha, i've had that happen to me...

Even if I know I might have fun going somewhere, I'll say something like "oh sorry, we're having people over!"
Example;
Someone called me a few weeks ago and asked if I wanted to hang out. I almost immidietally said "Oh sorry! Maybe next weekend, I'm busy for the rest of today. I'll call you tomorrow though"
After I hung up I realized I could've had fun with them at where ever they were going. But even after that though... I admit I still didnt wanna leave my lil' safe zone (AKA MY HOUSE)

funkyy

haha i get this especially if i have to speak to a teacher. mine is my mind just blanked and i couldnt say much.

fitftw

I've done this many times. It's not really sabotage. You prefer being alone. That's why you said what you said. You wouldn't have had a better time going to lunch with her. If you would have, you would have gone with her. Trust me.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Whoa blast from the past (it's a pun if you read this =D I totally forgot about this. Maybe my design, being subconscious sabotage. This was a while ago, since then, I did work on that Hoddes, thanks for bumping this. Being more aware in the moment, not easy. Slow. But if can catch yourself like putting nightvision on but you see your subconscious sabotaging at work! You can stop it. Or get the CHOICE to anyways.