Stuttering - Phone Calls

Faded

heyy..
Anyone here, Stutters alot when answering phone-Calls,especially with ppl u wont expect ??
Do u end up being Asked .. " Are u Okay?? " ? and how do u feel about it??

Thank you.

Indecisive

I tend to say "ummm" a lot to fill the space rather then talk because my mind doesn't seem to think of what I'd like to see and get it to my mouth fast enough. The more I stammer or say "umm" the more nervous I get it's a big cycle.

When talking to one particular friend I generally listen a lot more then I talk, and often find that I repeat myself or search for things to talk about. I feel I keep tryign to talk and keep her on the phone so I won't feel so lonely. It's also quite hard for me to say goodbye.

Not much help here just basicly sharing my experience.

Septor

Yea I do that all the time but it happen more when someone calls me.I tend to stutters less when i'm calling someone.I don't now maybe it's because i'm more prepared.

It can be really embarrassing though. :oops:

corsa

Sometimes my speech gets mixed up when i ring organisations and have to state who i am and why i'm calling. I mostly do it when the person is really abrupt or rude. To try to avoid this, i'll practice what i'm going to say before i ring and i find i'm getting better at dealing with these people.
But generally i hate talking on the phone, my best-friend is always at me to ring her and to be honest i'd rather just e-mail her.

IanM

yea i dont like talking over the phone, its quite a big hurdle for me, i would rather send texts or email as u said corsa, i dunno i get nervous and start talking over the other person, and then i stop then he stops and then we both start at the same time, its really annoying, and also i dont like saying bye over the phone ever, i find it difficult to handle when it doesnt go smoothly. :)

brownbag

yes, the words start to get all jumbled up and you tend to rush for what you had intended to say, but as you try to get hold of what you wanted to say while knowing there's someone on the line, the words kind of mix up a little more. especially if the person seems fierce or impatient.

Waybuloo

I dont' jumble so much as trying hard to sound friendly and intelligent...but in the process i think i jumble doh

sweetsour_eisha

i stutter if the person on the line is someone whom i'm not close to... my hands will get a little shaky and cold, and sometimes i sweat :oops: if i were the one who made the call then i prepare the things that i want to say first in my head (sometimes i write it down) so i'll just have to repeat what i wrote. Then i sounded more like an alive automated machine.. so monotonous, what the heck :p

Faded

Thank u indecisive 4 sharing yr experience. And thank u alll 4 sharing it too. It Reallllyy Helps when i read what others have to say about it, i kinda look at it thru other prespectives .. and judge it in a better way.
SO thank u alllll again ..

n' I wud like to read more ...

black_mamba

If I make the call, I make sure I write down what definitely needs to be said on a piece of paper. Then I go to someone where I can be alone and make the call. Often I chicken out of saying everything on the list, which means that I'll have to make yet another call to make sure I ask next time (if its very very important, like an interview).

If I'm calling a friend we usually just say what needs to be said and the goodbyes are vey quick and easy, but saying ummm and errr whilst you think of something to say is pretty normal, even people who are great talkers do it a lot - complete silence is quite daunting!

And if someone calls me - I crap myself. :lol:

loneEAGLE

sweetsour_eisha said:
i stutter if the person on the line is someone whom i'm not close to... my hands will get a little shaky and cold, and sometimes i sweat :oops: if i were the one who made the call then i prepare the things that i want to say first in my head (sometimes i write it down) so i'll just have to repeat what i wrote. Then i sounded more like an alive automated machine.. so monotonous, what the heck :p
:roll: i do the same thing, when i make a professional call like to make doctors appointment,tech support stuff like that im purfectly fine,maybe becouse they have no idea who i am,when i make calls to my (few)close friends im also fine butt if im not comfortable with some in "real"live then im bad with them on the phone,am also a wreck speaking to women on the phone..even worse in "real" life :cry: witch means ill probley be alone forever..damn i such nervous socially broken tool :evil: