Staring problem for over 31 months. Help?

Kylie26

This is my very first post. First of all, I'm not saying that I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. But I have this staring problem.

I used to not have a staring problem, I miss that. Well my staring problem started when I was going to this orientation day, there was this really pretty girl with really nice hair with all these highlights and I kept staring at her because she's pretty. Ever since then, I've had a continuing staring problem for over 31 months. I've found myself staring at people's shoes, cars, backs, eyes etc. I've stopped staring at the girl who triggered my staring problem. I like staring at people's eyebrows, I kept staring at this boy because of his eyebrows, I've stopped after two years. Sometimes, it's a blur and I want to find out what it is, sometimes I stare at the grass and sometimes a spot next to a person etc. I feel so lonely and ashamed to have this staring problem, it makes me feel unhappy, having to look people into the eye and feel afraid. I have good peripheral vision, I'm sick of looking at things that grab my curiosity, it causes problems for me :(

Kylie26

Yes, I read it. I do get overly concerned with gaining people's acceptance, it reflects on my mindset. Reflecting on my own experience with staring, it has brought me a lot of issues with other people's negative comments. I find that my staring problem doesn't cause issues for me when I wear my glasses because I am aware if the person I am staring at is uncomfortable etc so I could avert my eyes quickly. However, I am still haunted by what if thoughts and curiosity.

sprigganjent782

You have basicly the exact same problem as me! I also like staring at people because of certain things they're wearing, how they look, their eyes and other stuff. For example there's this little boy I see on the bus with his mom soemtimes and I like staring at him but I try my best not to incase his mom um... thinks something. Then there's also this person in the same grade as me that I kept staring at whenever I saw them. This is a bit of a problem for me too.

Kylie26

I love how you can empathize with me, so far, someone has suggested to me to keep a diary of thoughts to see what triggers the stares. I kept staring with this guy for 2 years at school, didn't go so well, he kind of made fun of me for having this staring problem

sai

As soon as you stair at some thing for like 2 seconds.. just stair at ground for 3 sec and then look at other side. This will solve your problem.

Kylie26

As soon as you stair at some thing for like 2 seconds.. just stair at ground for 3 sec and then look at other side. This will solve your problem.

I've already tried to look at the ground and to the side, it doesn't work. But thanks.

Witty_Name0_0

I genuinely have a staring problem. I'm not even exaggerating. I have always done it and it was fine till i started getting older. I think i need to see myself from a third person perspective too fully realize that i have a staring problem. I often stare more at people that look different or people i think look cool or attractive. It's OK when you are 6 years old but gets weird when you are an adult.

Always when I'm walking in the city, I find myself staring at girls I see that seem pretty for about 3 seconds and when they see me I keep looking for about a second. I wonder what they think when they notice I'm looking at them.