some people think im a nerd

Oooooh yes !:D
It's too expensive for me. But when the 6000 series come out in a few months the 5000 series lower in price. Thinking of getting an HD5850.:rolleyes:

Yeah man, shame the 6000 series is the same chip architecture (40nm) as the 5000 series. Mind you, 6000 series and 5000 series in Xfire?

Yes please.

Might wait till the 7000 series comes out in Q2 2011

28nm Chip architecture!

Ignace

Yeah man, shame the 6000 series is the same chip architecture (40nm) as the 5000 series. Mind you, 6000 series and 5000 series in Xfire?

Yes please.

Might wait till the 7000 series comes out in Q2 2011

28nm Chip architecture!

Can't wait.:D But I can't wait till those.::eek:: I'm running an HD4850 atm and I just want moooore ! I was so stupid getting a single PCI-E lane instead of getting a Xfire board with 2 x16 lanes. >.> Would a E8400 @ 4GHz bottleneck a HD5850 you think ?
If this isn't nerdy, I don't know what is.

If you don't O/C the 5850 I think you would be just scraping the barrel. Tbh I would get a new mobo and processor and then wait for the 6000 series to come down. Like an amd phenom 2 quad core, they are dirt cheap for quads and a new mobo something like an asus rampage amd edition. Both cheap and give great performance for what they are.

I have an i7 clocked to 4.00ghz, can get....relatively hot, even on water cooling.

Ignace

If you don't O/C the 5850 I think you would be just scraping the barrel. Tbh I would get a new mobo and processor and then wait for the 6000 series to come down. Like an amd phenom 2 quad core, they are dirt cheap for quads and a new mobo something like an asus rampage amd edition. Both cheap and give great performance for what they are.

I have an i7 clocked to 4.00ghz, can get....relatively hot, even on water cooling.

I read somewhere that the cheapest i7 pwns the most expensive quad from AMD, except the 6-core, but that's useless in most games. I'm not sure .. If all games supported multi cores I bought a quad right away. Maybe a second handed mobo and sell this one. Then I can use Crossfire with this 4850 and maybe a 4890 or so. It's an option.:rolleyes: Well, I got time, I'm only getting something with Christmas, probably not sooner. But if I choose for the 5850 I gotta buy a new case too..:rolleyes: Got a Syclone now and that's pretty small inside. I'm thinking of an NZXT Phantom.:D How much did u pay for the watercooling ? Only CPU or GPU/MEM, .. ?

rodinski

the peeps that make fun of you are simplely this:

they play on the console all day as well.
they get out maybe once or twice a week and thus think they are better then you.

pfft.

rodinski

I get turned on by this

ATI Radeon? HD 5970 graphics

That's nerdy.

lol same.

What's your system specs man?

I'm logging around a Phenom II x2 555 @ 4.0GHz (going to increase voltage in a bit), 8gb 1.6 ghz corsair dominators, asus 880gx board, his h5850 icoolerV, can't overclock that well due to crappy flash/ati drivers when overclock for some crap reason, 2 1tb sata 3 drives in raid-1 and a 40gb ssd for os, and then some auzentech forte sound card paired witha sess hd555 :D

weird thing is, all the parts got cooler matched out of random. lol, the whole system (in a haf 922 case) is brown, blue, and black. xD

Well yes the i7 930 pwns the crap out of amds phenom but you do pay for it money wise. Second hand mobo is good, can prolly pick up an EVGA classified :D The phenom is a sweet looking case, but I go for bare bones performance with the Antec 1200 3x 120mm's at the front, 2x 120mm's at the back 2x 120mm's on my rad which is mounted on the back of my case. and a single 120mm in my top hdd cage pulling in air. Also got a 240mm big boy fan on top of the case to cool the mobo down, althought the fan can mess with the airflow of the other 120mm's it's fine on it's lowest setting.

I have my GPU and CPU and a single 240mm rad at the back of my case, was thinking of getting a 300mm+ rad soon.

I paid about £200 in total for all the water cooling components.

rodinski

I read somewhere that the cheapest i7 pwns the most expensive quad from AMD, except the 6-core, but that's useless in most games. I'm not sure .. If all games supported multi cores I bought a quad right away. Maybe a second handed mobo and sell this one. Then I can use Crossfire with this 4850 and maybe a 4890 or so. It's an option.:rolleyes: Well, I got time, I'm only getting something with Christmas, probably not sooner. But if I choose for the 5850 I gotta buy a new case too..:rolleyes: Got a Syclone now and that's pretty small inside. I'm thinking of an NZXT Phantom.:D How much did u pay for the watercooling ? Only CPU or GPU/MEM, .. ?

lol, i used to be in flame wars all the time over this (i7 versus phenom II). Clock for clock the i7 goes ahead. at stock speeds? lol, a 180 quad (AMD) out performs their 300 dollar quads. Clock for clock the phenoms and the i5 are pretty close unless you wack off to benchmarks all day. in real world performance they are very similar.

let alone, you can get a hexacore from amd, only pay 200 CAD, overclock the puppy to 4 ghz np and out perform CPUs that cost 500 dollars more. ;)

edit: the problem with AMD chips today is merely 2 facts. the memory link and single core performance. you'll notice that when all cores are taxed the i7 and phenom iis perform very VERY similar (except for winrar compiling and memory bandwith). But when you look at game performance, photoshop, server work loads, miya, vidoe editing programs, there isn't much difference....and in some cases the phenoms pulling ahead

Last edited:
lol same.

What's your system specs man?

I'm logging around a Phenom II x2 555 @ 4.0GHz (going to increase voltage in a bit), 8gb 1.6 ghz corsair dominators, asus 880gx board, his h5850 icoolerV, can't overclock that well due to crappy flash/ati drivers when overclock for some crap reason, 2 1tb sata 3 drives in raid-1 and a 40gb ssd for os, and then some auzentech forte sound card paired witha sess hd555 :D

weird thing is, all the parts got cooler matched out of random. lol, the whole system (in a haf 922 case) is brown, blue, and black. xD

I'm on an i7 920 step d0 clocked at 4.00ghz on water, 1.35 voltage, I have not so great ram, 1600mhz Viper dd3 8-8-8-24 timings on 1.65v, Gigabyte X58 UD5A motherboard (6 core compatible) 1tb internal 7200rpm HDD, 2tb external USB (lol bottleneck) Antec 1200 case, 2x Asus 5970's on water cooling clocked at 1ghz (NOT THE ASUS GOD OF WAR lol), 1200w ATX fully modular corsair PSU (7 year warranty). Oh and a sh*t load of fans.

Last edited:

Emily_G

I'm not sure I'd classify someone who plays PS3 all day a nerd. But an addiction is an addiction IMO.

rodinski

I'm on an i7 920 step d0 clocked at 4.00ghz on water, 1.35 voltage, I have not so great ram, 1600mhz Viper dd3 8-8-8-24 timings on 1.65v, Gigabyte X58 UD5A motherboard (6 core compatible) 1tb internal 7200rpm HDD, 2tb external USB (lol bottleneck) Antec 1200 case, 2x Asus 5970's on water cooling clocked at 1ghz (NOT THE ASUS GOD OF WAR lol), 1200w ATX fully modular corsair PSU (7 year warranty). Oh and a sh*t load of fans.

haha nice system man. Ouch on going the 4gpu route tho. I would never use more then 2 gpus unless i'm folding 24/7.

what your temps on the 920? i'm surprised im pulling 1.476V and only 46C full load on linx. xD the cooler is just a cheap (only paid 22 CAD) on a CM 212 hyper +. :D

haha, well what you using the 2tb external for? if it is just a storage drive 17mbps is good enuff :p

Ignace

HD 5970 in Crossfire ? Do you sh*t money ?:eek: How much did u pay for that ? Here the cheapest is €579. Most of them are ~700. That's crazy for graphics.::p:

rodinski

CoolIt Eco A.L.C. 240mm Radiator CPU Watercooler (Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3/LGA775/LGA1156/LGA1366) [] Complete Kits

Example of a complete kit, WHICH should be 70% cheaper.

DIY kit has about a 7c difference on a complete one.

So yes, it's a bloody rip off.

ouch :( my next cooling solution is going to be a H70.

sucks that bulldozer isn't going to be AM3 compatible so next year i'll just get a 1075/95T (can't remember numbers exactly), h70, and maybe another 5870. year after that i'm going to try and get a full folding rig.

edit: lol looks like your sig is set for at least 2 years. xD

haha nice system man. Ouch on going the 4gpu route tho. I would never use more then 2 gpus unless i'm folding 24/7.

what your temps on the 920? i'm surprised im pulling 1.476V and only 46C full load on linx. xD the cooler is just a cheap (only paid 22 CAD) on a CM 212 hyper +. :D

haha, well what you using the 2tb external for? if it is just a storage drive 17mbps is good enuff :p

Well scaling is ok, microstuttering on MW2 does piss me off, but I just turn Xfire off for that, not a demanding game. I think on my next route I'll get 2x 6870's

Crysis is great on a quad but alot of games like FC2 suffer from MS. Which pis*es me off. Will prolly sell these before the prices go down and go with my old GTX 295 for a bit untill the 6000 series comes out. Unless I go with Fermi....get 60c+ temps on water with a psu usage of 975w.....Pfft.

The external I got free so I just use it for movies, games etc. Only filled about 600 gb of it up :(

Ignace

Lol ! An i7 on a CM 212 Hyper Plus ? xD That CPU deserves better. I have it myself and I'm happy with it's cooling performance, but with a CPU like that, I would get a V6 or so.:D

rodinski

Lol ! An i7 on a CM 212 Hyper Plus ? xD That CPU deserves better. I have it myself and I'm happy with it's cooling performance, but with a CPU like that, I would get a V6 or so.:D

difference between teh v6 and 212 isn't big. maybe 2-3 C difference :p

im rocking a phenom ii x2 555 at 4ghz, not an i7.

Should get a noctua NH-D12 I think it's called, kept my processor alive for about half a year before moving onto water.

Idle temps were 40c on air though Lol. Not even going to tell you the load. haha.

Mind you it was clocked at 4.00ghz.

Oh and it does have AMD brackets, just a bit of a bitch to fit.

Last edited: