social anxiety is highly treatable

Earthcircle

Social anxiety is highly treatable.

At least, this is what I read online. I wonder what people think about this? I have not found it to be treatable at all.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
In my personal experience, it's highly treatable in the short-run, only.

I've had startling results with medication and therapy in the past, and in relatively quick order. The problem is that I always regress, or come back to my old self sooner or later.

Earthcircle

What attempts have you made to treat it?

Nardil, Prozac, Zoloft, psychoanalysis, CBT, yoga, meditation, hypnosis, and just forcing myself to be social. The last one works a little, sometimes. When I'm lucky, I guess. I am thinking now of combining all therapies and just doing everything simultaneously, like a massive cocktail. I guess have nothing to lose, although it might be a little time intensive.

Sacrament

It's treatable with the right mental/attitude adjustments. Everyone feels anxiety. It's the way you react to it, and the way you think in general (about yourself, about others, about life, etc) that determines how anxiety will affect you.

nicole1

They say so, but I've never seen proof of this. I've tried different methods, but it's like fighting with myself to get well.

arjuna

Nardil, Prozac, Zoloft, psychoanalysis, CBT, yoga, meditation, hypnosis, and just forcing myself to be social. The last one works a little, sometimes. When I'm lucky, I guess. I am thinking now of combining all therapies and just doing everything simultaneously, like a massive cocktail. I guess have nothing to lose, although it might be a little time intensive.

Could you tell us about your CBT treatment: duration, methods, results,...

Earthcircle

Could you tell us about your CBT treatment: duration, methods, results,...

The CBT method was seeing CBT shrinks. I saw at least three. The methods were never very clear to me. One had me read a book about forgiveness which just seemed like gibberish. Another told me to think three happy thoughts a day and write them down. I did that for awhile then it suddenly struck me as very silly, so I quit. There were no results.

I also forgot to mention St. John's wort and a shyness clinic. All worthless.

I should add that most therapists are eclectic. That means you are getting something seriously watered down. Therapists think it is very cool and sophisticated to do this, for some reason. There don't seem to be a lot of options out there, since eclecticism is very popular.

Earthcircle

I do have an idea though. As you probably know, AIDS patients used to receive monotherapy, which didn't do much for them. Then they began taking complex cocktails with better results. I am going to combine everything, do everything all at once. It will be a kind of cocktail therapy. I will meditate, listen to hypnosis recordings, exercise, read self-help books, go into psychotherapy, and persuade a doctor to prescribe another antidepressant for me.

In my personal experience, it's highly treatable in the short-run, only.

I've had startling results with medication and therapy in the past, and in relatively quick order. The problem is that I always regress, or come back to my old self sooner or later.
^Totally agree with this. I have had the exact same results.

I also think the degree in which a person responds to treatment varies depending on the original cause and length of time the person has been suffering from it.

Steiner

I take an antipsychotic.

Seemed to help but it took a few months.

I'm not sure if the anti-depressant I am taking is working cause I still feel very depressed inside somewhat. Mainly because I am struggling with my identity a little. Though I have noticed a very large decrease in anxiety.

Though that is what helped for me personally.

Along with forcing myself out and getting a job where I talk to the public a lot aka a cash register. I even start random conversations with strangers now and go up to people without worrying. I can ask for applications at stores without worrying at all except for the very moment before I ask.

I'm starting to break my chains a little.

It took a lot of trying different meds though. I tried probably 8 meds I think. Of different classes.

I tried CBT but in the end the therapist just told me to go take medication cause it was pointless otherwise. I guess it's a line between realizing if you actually need meds or not and realizing the intensity of SA too. Mine was keeping me house-bound and reliant on a parent. Basically nonfunctional.

Last edited:

Earthcircle

^Totally agree with this. I have had the exact same results.

I also think the degree in which a person responds to treatment varies depending on the original cause and length of time the person has been suffering from it.

I have no memory of ever not having it.

Hoppy

It's treatable with the right mental/attitude adjustments. Everyone feels anxiety. It's the way you react to it, and the way you think in general (about yourself, about others, about life, etc) that determines how anxiety will affect you.

^^This^^

I am busy reading The Charisma Myth.

Most of the book goes about handling your insecurities. No matter who you are, there are going to bad days. The only way to cope is to learn how to handle it.

And don't expect miracles. There will be bad days, and if I am going to allow a few bad days to derail my efforts I will never get anywhere.

And don't knock small stuff like a gratitude journal, a little bit of walking when you feel bad, smiling at people when you wish to curse them.

I may not really win this, but I am so much better off now than two years ago that I will keep on plugging away.

The things you do every day mean more than the things you do once in a while.

I also recommend reading James Clear. The guy talks a lot of sense.

marginal-gains.jpg

AlienGeranium

Are we talking about treatment of the symptoms, or of the "disease"? The symptoms are definitely very treatable and manageable. Coping skills and the right attitude lessens them, as well as things like CBT and exposure therapy (for some). And usually it's easier to work on in the less severe cases. Not to mention the countless med options including things like anti-anxieties which can help keep the symptoms in check. There's more intense treatments that can take even more of the symptoms away but with more side effects as well.

I was on a regiment of Anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, and mood stabilizers for a while and I found I wasn't getting as anxious or wound up, and actually felt pretty good and proactive. But I was sleeping 14 hours a day. And the more I took them, the more I slept and the more "stabilized" my mood became (i.e. robot zombie). It also put my little buddy on the fritz. So I went off them, and months later still sleep excessively, on top of daily tiredness and 0 passion or motivation. So yeah, good for anxiety, but bad for multiple other aspects of life.

As for treatment of the "disease," I believe that is actually much less successful. If I remember correctly from a psych class in college less than 20% (I want to say it's 5%) of individuals seeking treatment are "cured" or see improvements that brings it to a point where it isn't interfering with their lives anymore. It's just not something the psychology community has "figured out" quite yet. Anybody who's been to therapy and knows how it's supposed to work can understand how it can be difficult for both parties. Just the nature of the disorder makes it hard, a therapist needs to get into a patients head, and people who are fearful of others thoughts of them are fighting to hide what's going on up in the noggin. Not to mention, while it is an unpleasant disorder, it is one that is easy enough to suffer with in silence. Exposure therapy may work (with the correct mindset) but when put in the moment and forced to act, a lot of people will suddenly figure "Not worth it. I'll just suffer. It might not even work."

And a lot of times it doesn't work. It's still trying to be figured out. So, to sum up, it's somewhat treatable.

Argentum

Depends on context - learned responses can always be changed. A lack of maturity? Take time to mature.

Some things are not treatable, though, I believe.

I can get rid of negative thoughts, at least temporarily until the things I can't change drag me down, but I can't get rid of the tension. It has nothing to do with what I'm actually thinking or feeling about a person.

After two books, a body language course, a self-improvement workshop, and at least two dozen articles, I'm still incapable of having any semblance of a social life.

w*n*c*a*m

I don't know if it is treatable. I can't imagine myself being a confident person at all. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic. But what I know is this: If you are willing to improve, it will happen even just a little bit.

When my SA was in its peakest (highschool), sales person couldn't hear my voice when I wanna buy something coz I'm too meek to speak. I always let my sister and parents order for me in the restaurant, doing it myself makes me extra nervous and I get mental blocked remembering what to order. I couldn't commute and walking outside was hell.

I have improved on those aspects even without treatment. Maybe my determination and my awareness of SA helped a lot. Now I can order food at the restaurant, I'm still nervous but atleast I can speak up now. However, I still find eye contact difficult. I always look at the menu when ordering and I just do a quick glance to the person just to not make it too obvious that I am avoiding him/her.

Commuting now is a breeze. And I actually love shopping alone.

---------------
I think my main issue which is difficult to improve is my relationship with people around me. I have acquaintances but it's mostly impossible for me to create new friendships. I hate familiarity and My colleagues can feel it. My personality is often interpreted as either a stuck up, a weirdo, or a very nice person.

Earthcircle

As for treatment of the "disease," I believe that is actually much less successful. If I remember correctly from a psych class in college less than 20% (I want to say it's 5%) of individuals seeking treatment are "cured" or see improvements that brings it to a point where it isn't interfering with their lives anymore. It's just not something the psychology community has "figured out" quite yet. Anybody who's been to therapy and knows how it's supposed to work can understand how it can be difficult for both parties. Just the nature of the disorder makes it hard, a therapist needs to get into a patients head, and people who are fearful of others thoughts of them are fighting to hide what's going on up in the noggin. Not to mention, while it is an unpleasant disorder, it is one that is easy enough to suffer with in silence. Exposure therapy may work (with the correct mindset) but when put in the moment and forced to act, a lot of people will suddenly figure "Not worth it. I'll just suffer. It might not even work."

And a lot of times it doesn't work. It's still trying to be figured out. So, to sum up, it's somewhat treatable.

Why am I hearing this for the first time? Why is it that no mental health professional ever told me this?

IntheLabyrinth

We all fall on some part of the spectrum, and I think those at the far end have it much harder than others. I think it's possibly one of the hardest phobias to treat. CBT seems like the best treatment option in my opinion. However, unlike a fear of spiders for instance, the thing social phobics are afraid of must be confronted on a daily basis so one can have constant set backs, which negate progress and decrease self-esteem. I think if we were able to gradually face the fear like one can with spiders it would be so much easier. This could just be my way of justifying still be terrified of people and not being able to get better. I think I am at the severe end as I sweat profusely, have insanely rapid heartbeat, and cannot think at all when I have a socially induced panic attack, and I have really bad anticipatory anxiety as well. All that makes it really hard to be positive and have any confidence that I can deal with it.

arjuna

The CBT method was seeing CBT shrinks. I saw at least three. The methods were never very clear to me. One had me read a book about forgiveness which just seemed like gibberish. Another told me to think three happy thoughts a day and write them down. I did that for awhile then it suddenly struck me as very silly, so I quit. There were no results.

I also forgot to mention St. John's wort and a shyness clinic. All worthless.

I should add that most therapists are eclectic. That means you are getting something seriously watered down. Therapists think it is very cool and sophisticated to do this, for some reason. There don't seem to be a lot of options out there, since eclecticism is very popular.

It seems to me you didn't really follow a CBT treatment. As others have said before, if you are not in the right mindset and do not have the motivation, it's unlikely to work. But if you are willing, no shrinks are needed. You can do it yourself with the aid of a good book. A typical example is The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr. David Burns. Read the book, get a good idea of the CBT philosophy and about how you are going to apply it. The keys are, as one poster commented, small but noticeable steps that make you feel bearably uncomfortable.

And the process has to be geared for the long run. No wanting rapid fixes. You're long-term objectives could be set for years in the future.

And, of course, you can definitely combine CBT with other recovery methods like yoga or exercise.

If you need extra motivation, you can always listen to Tony Robbins if you haven't already.