Shopping

IceLad

I had a pretty demoralising experience today.

After planning what I was going to buy and from which shop, I came close to having a panic attack while being served. The assistant took ages and ages to get the transaction sorted. The longer he took, the more I got anxious and the more I started to sweat, so by the end I was covered in perspiration and I felt awful. It didn't help that another assisant looked at me twice during the transaction with me convincing myself that they could see how much I was sweating.

I couldn't get out of the shop quick enough. After that I did the usual 'post mortem' trying unsucessfully to rationalise my thoughts. Its so frustrating having to deal with this. I was on a day off from work so I should be enjoying myself!

I fed up of dealing with these nasty, vicious little cycles which positively breeds the social anxiety. The way I felt after coming out of the shop anyone would think I'd just been held at knife point! Sometimes it makes me wonder how am I ever going to form friendships/ relationships with other people if I can't get through this simple social situtation unscathed.

Anyone got any similar experiences or advice?

maggie

IceLad...that happens to me all the time...for one thing, i have to use cash, always, cause waiting for stupid interac machine card to work is enough to make me hyperventilate 8O ..i always go to same stores, usually with someone else, and i feel my heart beating faster as i get closer to cashier :? and i always try to go at non-busy time and choose teller that has least chance of having someone get in line behind me... and going into the bank and standing in line to see teller...that's the worst..i usually use bank machines :roll: ..i always wonder what the teller is thinking...like,"holy..is this girl a freak or what?"

kattness

god i hate shopping, i also nearly had some kind of panic attack in a clothes shop - was interesting, perfere for it to never happen again though :D
i think what i have to do is keep telling myself they are not looking at me and they dont care - if only it worked.

despise

i almost had a panic attack in a meeting at school today. with my parents, me and some teacher. my dad decided to bring up the topic that im terrified of public transport because i used to have problems with some people who were constantly mean to me (physicly..) :oops: . firstly, i didnt want that to be told to him because im just so embaressed about it, secondly ive tried for so long to forget about it or try and turn it into an 'ok situation' (failed miserably) and i was in a hot room with a jumper on and i felt my face going bright red...felt all sweaty, started having problems breathing... it was so hard..i just wanted to get up an run out of the room and hide. :oops: now i have to face this guy again on tuesday... :( i dunno..maybe its better he knows so i can get a good councellor :?:

black_mamba

The assistant took ages and ages to get the transaction sorted. The longer he took, the more I got anxious and the more I started to sweat.

Yes I get this often. Sucks doesn't it. I hate it when the people behind you in the que are busy analysing what you've brought.

and going into the bank and standing in line to see teller...that's the worst..i usually use bank machines

Whats even worse is when the person behind the screen cannot hear and you have to shout your questions out. Often I cannot go into a bank alone, most of them treat people like me (student) like crap anyway so I always take a close friend with me now.

Clothes shops are another danger zone - all those annoying persistant shop assistants. Try walking past the make-up ladies in a cosmetics store without them pouncing on you and telling you how awful you're skin looks. :?

Moral of story = shopping sucks ass :!:

Dragonfly

I hate shopping also, especially supermarket shopping, when its a big shop and your trying to rush to get out and you have all the packing to do and you just feel like the whole que is staring at you. I normally don't go alone anymore so I have someone to help me. I'm fine actually shopping as long as I don't bump into someone I know and have to speak to them. but as soon as I get in the que, nightmare, total panic!