Setting yourself challenges

JamieD

I know it's the way forward- you have to set yourself challenges, progressively bigger ones.
I really want to go to MacDonalds and get a coffee tomorrow, maybe sit down inside.
I'd like to even meet someone- i haven't seen my friends (well.. what friends i did have) in about a year of more :(
But i just know that when tomorrow comes, i won't do it. It's the same every time. I chicken out, or just don't bother :/
I really have no motivation, anyone else like this? ::p:
How can i make myself do it? lol

Last edited:

Feathers

well, maybe find something, less threatening?

would going to a bookstore and browsing the books be easier? what about to go listen to CDs in a music store? or go to the park?

then maybe, when you're 'in the action' you can go to a more 'next step' place...
also, you could agree to meet someone in a cafe - that would maybe make it easier to go for some tea or coffee...

(I think McDonalds is evil and just don't go there :) they used to have good fries tho. but I prefer other venues)

Feathers

YAY Bsebring, go you!! :) I'm cheering for ya!!

Luke - I wasn't talking about coffee, haha.. (haven't tried it there actually..) Though maybe it could be lucrative?
nutritional nightmare - too much fat etc. very unhealthy... too much obesity, heart problems and poor health worldwide anyway...
also too much plastic/paper packaging(=trash) and such...
There have been many campaigns against McDonalds for environmental reasons or such.. (for cutting down rainforests and growing soy to feed animals for beef etc) not sure what the current situation is, but I just don't go there.. :)

Izolo

I know it's the way forward- you have to set yourself challenges, progressively bigger ones.
I really want to go to MacDonalds and get a coffee tomorrow, maybe sit down inside.
I'd like to even meet someone- i haven't seen my friends (well.. what friends i did have) in about a year of more :(
But i just know that when tomorrow comes, i won't do it. It's the same every time. I chicken out, or just don't bother :/
I really have no motivation, anyone else like this? ::p:
How can i make myself do it? lol

Yeah something like that happens to me too,
I set goals for the day, then sometimes I can't seem to be able to get even close to them, luckily I have a good friend who motivates me from time to time,
although sometimes, when I feel down, I really can't seem to be able to listen to anyone.

Steps for me
-Going to vocal lessons, i'm contacting a vocal teacher right now.
I think this is a good thing, to become more professional in singing :)
The vocal lessons include recordings in studio after a period of vocal teaching :)
I think this would be a good thing for me, since I love singing so much ^_^
I hope I get an email back, so I get to know more about this.
It's in my town, so not too far. I can get there.

-Go to the mall this thursday with my best friend, she asked me.
So why not right? Just gonna go for it!

JosephG

tomorrow I'm going to try my best at engaging in conversation with someone I don't know! Perhaps in a queue in the canteen or when I'm sitting next to someone on a table I don't usually speak to.
I hope I can shut out the thoughts that are so detrimental.

also learning/attempting to be funny is so hard when you aren't skilled at doing so! Sometimes you get a lucky break and get a few laughs. Other
times everyone looks at you like "that's not funny" or "he's weird".

I guess i've gotta keep trying. Which is another goal for me! Not to be afraid to try and make a joke!

Lccska

Try setting smaller goals. Make yourself just drive to McDonalds. Not threatening right? Keep doing that until your ready to just walk inside, order a cup of coffee, then leave. Do that until you're comfortable sitting down. So on and so on. I give myself little goals until I reach the final destination. That way I don't feel threatened and I actually am able to accomplish something I wanted to do.

replica

Last year I set a goal to participate in a triathlon, I was already a cyclist so I needed to take up running and swimming. Started running April last year and ran in a 12k Fun run with 40,000 people in August. As for swimming I only got the courage to go in November 2010 and first time in the pool was not a good experience. Anyway along the way I did something stupid and entered a Half Ironman triathlon (1.9 km swim, 90 km ride, 21.1 km run), even though I've never swam or run that distance before, I mean at that stage I couldn't even swim 25 metres without stopping. What have I done!? But you know what I kept trying, I kept doing my training aiming for the biggest goal of my life (yes my life is simple). It's about 96 days to my event and I believe I can do this. And so can you with your goals. I didn't aim small, I went big but I have the understanding you have to work at it.