Sensory Overloads

Lamb

Never thought that I might deal with this. Someone suggested that if I were able to manage my anxiety better this would reduce as well. I get overwhelmed easily and this is a big cause for lack of focus, or so I think?

A couple of things:
I don't like being touched. Whether that's a handshake or pat on the shoulder. Unless you indicate you're going to give me a hug or shake my hand (meaning I'm aware), I will flinch. People tend to think I was abused because of that, which isn't the case. I also get spooked pretty easily.

I take the headphones out of my ears for maybe 4 hours at most in a day. Cannot tolerate hearing too many sounds. The sound of family members voices annoy me, silverware banging against plates, loud television volume and certain noises.

Although I love music I can't focus with it playing through my ears if there's an important assignment I'm trying to get done and am anxious. I need complete silence, which is hard to come by.

Either I will get distracted, grow irritable or will go lay down in the dark. I know I need to grow use to going without music and feeling more able to ignore things.

Do you deal with this? What helps you? I've no idea why my ears are so sensitive. Do you think reducing anxiety will help?

Last edited:

knr9311

I also have the same problem. I hardly ever let people touch me, and when I do I feel the need to get far away from them. I also haven't been abused either. I can't stand the sounds, especially if someone's voice is loud. It's worse in the early mornings for me too. I get very, very angry. I just listen to music to drown out the sounds outside and inside. I do believe that anxiety plays a key role in it and that when you control it, it will get better. Sorry I couldn't help much.

ImNotMyIllness

I'm very sensitive to being touched on the forearm. If someone that I don't know or am irritated with touches my forearm, I feel like knocking them out. But, if a cute girl does, I melt. LOL I don't get it.

WishingICould

I can't stand being touched, especially hand shakes with strangers. I'm just not a touchy feely person. The only time I liked being touched was by a guy I was with but other than that, no. I can't stand my own mother hugging me, which I know is terrible. I wasn't abused either.

Lamb

I'm very sensitive to being touched on the forearm. If someone that I don't know or am irritated with touches my forearm, I feel like knocking them out. But, if a cute girl does, I melt. LOL I don't get it.

Lol!!

WIC & Knr, if someone touches me I get this sick, queasy feeling. Especially with males. It's probably due to growing up with a lack of physical affection. I didn't learn to hug until junior year of high school, lol.

Last edited:

laure15

I don't mind people touching my arm or back unless I'm hot or sweaty.
I'm sensitive to noises. I notice little things that other people don't notice. Toilets flushing, people gossiping/whispering, doors opening and closing, etc. I jump when people suddenly hit me or make loud banging noises.