self medicated

chris1986

I self medicated myself for many years with alcohol. I was always Less Anxious with alcohol but its hard to lead a normal life while drunk, eg. Work, relationships. Ive been on citalapram for 10 months at 40mg, which doesnt seem to help. My Anxiety leaves me unable to function most days and I cant leave the house. But somedays I just wanna drink so I could feel less anxious. i dont drink anymore by the way.
Alcohol is good for the short term but really bad in the long term.

Does anyone else understand me.

neardeath

I used to fight the battle with alcohol, too. Now I am older and if I try it, I just get longer hangovers and more remorse than in the past! Self medication usually doesn't work, but many of us don't get any relief from prescribed meds. Yeah, I can relate. Hang in there and tell your doc the meds aren't working.

I did exactly this for all of my 20s & much of my 30s. It was, as you said, due to the meds not really working as i needed. Alcohol "filled the gap" in where the medication did not. It took the edge off my nerves, suffering, or other "craziness", when required. It also allowed me my only real outlet for my feelings. It was my best friend i've ever had. Still to this day, i regard alcohol as the only real time that i can escape my extremely closeted, narrow-focussed, hopeless reality. When under the influence, i am able to for a short time, escape the "straight-jacket" (practical limitations) & "chains" (obsessions/compulsions) that i normally endure 24/7. That is, drinking alcohol (esp if binge), is the only time i can truly "relax" in my life.

chris1986

I used to fight the battle with alcohol, too. Now I am older and if I try it, I just get longer hangovers and more remorse than in the past! Self medication usually doesn't work, but many of us don't get any relief from prescribed meds. Yeah, I can relate. Hang in there and tell your doc the meds aren't working.

I just dont trust my doctor, I cant talk to her

chris1986

I did exactly this for all of my 20s & much of my 30s. It was, as you said, due to the meds not really working as i needed. Alcohol "filled the gap" in where the medication did not. It took the edge off my nerves, suffering, or other "craziness", when required. It also allowed me my only real outlet for my feelings. It was my best friend i've ever had. Still to this day, i regard alcohol as the only real time that i can escape my extremely closeted, narrow-focussed, hopeless reality. When under the influence, i am able to for a short time, escape the "straight-jacket" (practical limitations) & "chains" (obsessions/compulsions) that i normally endure 24/7. That is, drinking alcohol (esp if binge), is the only time i can truly "relax" in my life.

you explained it so much better than me, thanks.
I read that more men self medicate then women because of MALE PRIDE. It was hard for me to admit my problems. They built up bigger and bigger over the years.

zen_mistress

I took citalopram and I didnt find it to be very good for anxiety. I was told years later that it was better for depression patients. Perhaps you could try a different med? Or a different therapy type.

chris1986

I took citalopram and I didnt find it to be very good for anxiety. I was told years later that it was better for depression patients. Perhaps you could try a different med? Or a different therapy type.

Ive had 20 sessions of Cognitive behavioral therapy, 2 years ago. It didnt help me
ive been on Sertraline, Mirtazapine,Fluoxetine in the past.

shyguy210

has someone ever ever had success with Cognitive behavioral therapy?? i think that is bs honestly... probably will only work for very mild anxieties

nicole1

I never tried alcohol. Cannabis makes things worst. I just don't think there's anything for me. Esp prescription. Celexa made things worth. I don't think they really know how to treat this.

GhastlyCC

I can relate to this alot.
I didn't drink for a long time because I had negative feelings towards it
due to my fathers alcoholism,But
I got sick of not being able to talk to people in social situations and decided to try it and see what it did for me. I was surprised at how social it made me...how easy it made talking to people and even flirting.haha
Took quite a liking to it for these reasons and found myself drinking pretty often.
After a while though I realized that unless I was going to be drunk 24/7,it wasn't really helping anything.
No matter how much I talked to a person or flirted with a girl while drunk.....I still had trouble talking to them while sober.

I still drink pretty often,but I no longer look at it in the way that I did before.

Sprawling

Check into Phenibut and Picamilon. They are considered dietary supplements in the US and medication in other countries. Although my anxiety/depression is more do to chronic pain, I find these two supplements work along with Ashwagandha.

spearhunter

has someone ever ever had success with Cognitive behavioral therapy?? i think that is bs honestly... probably will only work for very mild anxieties

You are right their is a alot of bs in this world concerning therapy , medication and all those stuff, but their is also a lot of true. The problem comes from distinguish the truth from the crap.

Haluk

I had drunk alcohol for the first time 2 months ago in the disco.Think it!Of course, I was depressed and I drank a lot!I felt free.And I can't get that feeling out of my mind.I m resisting to alcohol now.