Seeing a new therapist

nature_lover

Hello everyone, I'm new here but this forum was recommended :)

Brief history of me- I'm 24 and have suffered with panic attacks and agoraphobia for just over 10 years.

I've recently started seeing a new psychotherapist (privately, the NHS couldn't offer me what I needed), I've had 4 sessions so far. I've previously had bad experience with CBT so was relieved to find she doesn't use it and am interested in trying the other approaches she suggests- sensorimotor psychotherapy and EMDR. However, I don't really find the therapist herself very easy to get on with. She seems quite cold and insincere. I don't expect a friendship, I understand it must be a professional relationship but at the moment I feel that she's not someone I can open up to.

So I'm wondering, how important is it that you like and get on with your therapist? In my case she is very well respected by her peers and seems to know her field, so I'm reluctant to give up. On the other hand I wanted someone who I was able to talk to and trust, and it doesn't feel like she will be that person.

Any opinions or advice are much appreciated. Thank you :)

So I'm wondering, how important is it that you like and get on with your therapist? In my case she is very well respected by her peers and seems to know her field, so I'm reluctant to give up. On the other hand I wanted someone who I was able to talk to and trust, and it doesn't feel like she will be that person.

I think it is important to feel comfortable enough to open up, otherwise there's stuff that stays hidden and unresolved