Second Guessing Myself...

RedRibbons

ALL THE TIME!! And it causes me to have so much anxiety and stress. I never know how I truly feel about things, because I'm given time to think about it, or I'm asked about it.

For some reason, when people ask me questions about the things I say/do.. I automatically go into this "Do I? Or do I not?" phase. And it causes sooooo much undue stress. I don't know what to do about it. And it's driving me mad. For example, if I said to someone, "I feel happy right now!" and then they asked me "why?" I would answer, "because I just do!" but then I would start wondering like.. WHY do I feel happy? And think there is some weird bad reason that I'm happy. Or that I don't really feel happy at all...

I feel really confused, blank, and full of thought at the same time when this happens. I get irritable and frustrated. I get anxious and sad. And I can say it started at least 6 or 7 years ago, when my parents (mostly my stepdad), questioned EVERY idea I had about what I wanted to go to college for.

**Isn't that funny, my OCD problems started around that time too (6 or 7 years ago), I just made the connection, I don't know if it's because of the OCD though**

Some of my most important relationships suffer from my constant doubt/second-guessing, because not only do I do that, on top of it, I SHARE how I feel and what I'm thinking. It's not confusing just for me, but for the people close to me.

Not only do I second-guess/doubt myself, but I second-guess/doubt other people too. I feel like such a skeptic, when people talk to me. It's hard for me to believe them. Their stories sound fake to me, and I have to remind myself that those things could have happened.

I don't know what to do. :confused:

Edit: People don't even have to ask me something, I second-guess myself anyway, because I end up asking myself something. ::(:

Last edited:

dooby-duck

One of my big problems is thinking too much. You are right it gets very frustrating. I start to think of what I said and how the person I was talking to could have interpreted it. I also re-run conversations in my head to think about what I should have said. Reading other peoples minds is something I often do as well. I seem to think I know what they are thinking. It's hard to concentrate on anything when you can't stop thinking.

U

userremoved

Okay stupid question time and I'm sure you've heard it before. Is that TV show Monk anything like the real thing or is all that crap made up?

U

userremoved

It's some kind of detective show I've seen my mom watching. The main character on the show apparently has OCD and it causes him to have a lot of strange habits but it helps his crime solving because I guess he's so constantly aware of details other people simply overlook. Lol that was probably off subject so I'll just pm for questions like that from now on.

Last edited:

Nicholas

OCD? It's easy to get out of it ::p:
Seriously, I tend to have it too, but I always manage to get rid of it. I recently had an obsession that scared the shit out of me and I was so scared I thought I was never gonna get rid of it (the worst my mind could ever think of) That was when I decided I was going to find a solution, because it was horrible.

The secret to get rid of OCD is:
1)Understand that everyone gets intrusive thoughts, they are normal, but we get more of them because our brains are more creative and more powerful.
2)We get scared by them because we are sensitive and tend to worry about lots of things. Understand that there is no reason to get scared about intrusive thoughts, they are just thoughts and the product of your creativity mixed with your generalized anxiety.
3)You have to understand that you only get an obsession if you are scared of it. The more you are scared, the more you get it. Want to make it stop? Then learn not to be scared of it.

How is it possible to not be scared of an obsession? It's something that you do little by little. You have to think of that intrusive thought, and feel your reaction, your breath, your heart, etc. You will feel fear. Now, your goal is to manage to think of the obsession and feel your body isn't reacting, you are calm. Think that whatever your obsession is, it's not real, it's just like a horror movie, it's scary but not real! Just like when you see blood in a movie and you think oh, it's just tomato sauce. Your thoughts are not real, and you are scared because you are sensitive. You are not bad, you are not weird. You are sensitive, and scared. Learn to accept your thought and focus on your fear... learn to remain relaxed, little by little, it might take some days, but keep trying to be relaxed, not be scared of something unreal, little by little you will reach a point where your obsession will seem "blurred", you won't care about the details, and the thought will have little effect on your reactions, you will feel pretty calm anyway... And guess what? No fear anymore, no obsession anymore. And one day you'll think "hey, where that obsession go? I haven't had it in a while!" and you will think of it again, maybe a little afraid that it might come back but... you'll still realize it doesn't affect you anymore, you are calm... and you never get it again.

Believe me, I kept thinking of disgusting stuff, I was so scared, I couldn't help thinking of it. But guess what? It's gone, it took a week or so, I think. Think of it, don't avoid it, feel your heart pounding, you are scared but... keep trying, little by little, and learn not to be scared. Say stuff to yourself like "Hey, I'm scared, so what?", "Hey, it's not that bad anymore, I think I'm less scared", and so on. Kill the fear, you'll kill the obsession.

One thought can't be an obsession if you are not scared.

RedRibbons

So if you second guess yourself a lot you have OCD? That is the last thing I need.

Not exactly. There are other things that I deal with, when it comes to the second guessing. Like constantly being afraid that I am a liar, and being afraid that I haven't said EVERYTHING about what I am talking about.